The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is with the tube tech cl1b prices?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

What is with the tube tech cl1b prices?

It seems like just a year ago, one could get a USED cl1b for about $1600.

Now I am seeing them go for over $2100 on ebay.

I sold two of them about 6 months ago for about $2000 with upgraded tubes, and it was not even easy to sell them.

They are great compressors, but are they really worth gthe used prices they are going for now?

Are a pair of them, actually better than a Them. Phoenix? (which is less money for 2 channels on the used market) If so, I would sure like to hear the sample that shows this. I have had both, and I do not see where the tube tech has anything over the Phoenix. But I guess it is a matter of taste.

Perhaps the new A Designs Nail will be just as good for under $3000 for a pair.

Anyway, it is interesting to see this hyped up CL1b price all of a sudden.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
It seems like just a year ago, one could get a USED clab for about $1600.

Now I am seeing them go for over $2100 on ebay.

I sold two of them about 6 months ago for about $2000 with upgraded tubes, and it was not even easy to sell them.

They are great compressors, but are they really worth $2800 used?

Perhaps the new A Designs Nail will be just as good for under $3000 for a pair.

Anyway, it is interesting to see this hyped up price all of a sudden.

My price for that compressor used is $1850. No more from what I have been seeing in the market. Some may say I am a lowballer. But I had a guy actually bring me one into my studio and offered to sell for $1800 cash. I didn't buy after I listened to it. Love my LA 2As more so. Its the color of those old UTC trannies that I can't live without.. Tubetech is a superior vocal compressor... Would like to own one when I got cash to throw around...
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

$1850 used is a reasonable price. $2300-2800 used is not IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
My price for that compressor used is $1850. . .
. . .
Old 18th November 2009
In the years before and early days of GS you would see them as low as $1000- $1150 used. I used to buy and sell them all the time.

Fast forward 10 years later and people are asking double and there is less money to spend on gear. Don't really get it though as its still the same comp.

I still wouldn't pay more than $1350 used for one. That's the most i would pay then and that for me still holds true today.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

It is very simple. The $ currency is in the trash can.

Tube Tech is an EU company. Over here, the CL1B costs €2,490 brand new, including our very high taxes. Translate this into $, with 1€= 1.5$ and you have your answer.

EDIT : Denmark is a member of the EU, but still uses its danish krone, so unless they operate with fixed (insured) € prices as a company, individual fluctuations among the DKK and the $ might happen, regardless of what the € does.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
It is very simple. The $ currency is in the trash can.
Ding ding ding.
Old 18th November 2009
MAP price on a new unit is $3150 USD. Based on my experience that would put used prices, depending on age, condition, and tube type/age between $2100-$2500. You'll probably always find someone experiencing hard times going lower, and some people are willing to pay more than that for one in 'excellent' condition from a respected seller....but used prices always seem to follow the current new price.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Did the MAP just take a big jump? It seems like the MAP was $2999 when there were used ones for about $1600. I may be remembering this all wrong.

At any event, that means an MAP of $6300 for two channels.

I used them for recording vocals. I have recently used the Buzz Essences which ARE MUCH LESS MONEY!!! And at times, I cannot tell the difference in the mixes between the vocals I recorded on one or the other. So go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
MAP price on a new unit is $3150 USD. Based on my experience that would put used prices, depending on age, condition, and tube type/age between $2100-$2500. You'll probably always find someone experiencing hard times going lower, and some people are willing to pay more than that for one in 'excellent' condition....but used prices always seem to follow the current new price.
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
Did the MAP just take a big jump? It seems like the MAP was $2999 when there were used ones for about $1600. I may be remembering this all wrong.
I don't think it was huge, but at least a couple hundred. In this economy (which has been crap for at least a year and a half) I'm guessing used prices are going to be lower than when things are healthy.

Quote:
At any event, that means an MAP of $6300 for two channels.
Correct.

Quote:
I used them for recording vocals. I have recently used the Buzz Essences which ARE MUCH LESS MONEY!!! And at times, I cannot tell the difference in the mixes between the vocals I recorded on one or the other. So go figure.
Well, the Buzz Essences are very underrated but as you mentioned sound excellent, and to be fair the Tube Tech has been around a very long time (since the 80's?).
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have had Tube Tech eqs, mic pres and compressors since the 80s. If you are looking at used compressors . . . don't forget the CL1A compressor which you can most likely buy cheaper . . . . same thing as the 1B.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
I have had Tube Tech eqs, mic pres and compressors since the 80s. If you are looking at used compressors . . . don't forget the CL1A compressor which you can most likely buy cheaper . . . . same thing as the 1B.

Yea that one was point to point wiring right? awesome
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Here is a used CL1a (ten years old) on ebay for $2800.
Now I have to believe, something weird is happening to these prices.
Tube-Tech CL 1A Compressor - eBay (item 110458968966 end time Nov-27-09 13:39:54 PST)
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
Tube-Tech CL 1A Compressor - eBay (item 110458968966 end time Nov-27-09 13:39:54 PST)
What happened is the GS hype.

Its happened to alot of outboard gear here over the years. Its funny in the beginning of GS when i would recommend the TT CL1B's & to change the tubes for tracking lead vox it was really out of earnestness and reading people's frustrations with tracking vocals. Back then i knew that lots of people had dismissed them and back in the early 90's changing the tubes(the stock tubes always made them sound bland) smoothed it out and made it better.

Fast forward and people are asking ridiculous amounts for it because its become popular and the new "defact' GS vocal tracking comp.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

There should be a jackpot for your post. Nailed it.
thumbsup
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post

Its happened to alot of outboard gear here over the years. Its funny in the beginning of GS when i would recommend the TT CL1B's & to change the tubes for tracking lead vox it was really out of earnestness and reading people's frustrations with tracking vocals. Back then i knew that lots of people had dismissed them and back in the early 90's changing the tubes(the stock tubes always made them sound bland) smoothed it out and made it better.

Fast forward and people are asking ridiculous amounts for it because its become popular and the new "defact' GS vocal tracking comp.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
An actual dealer was selling a cl1a for about 2k only 6-8 months ago on ebay, so I wouldn't go by that price. That guy's not going to sell the CL1A for 2.8k.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

I guess we are seeing about a $400 bump in their prices.
But it is enough to consider other less expensive compressors that can do the job as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
An actual dealer was selling a cl1a for about 2k only 6-8 months ago on ebay, so I wouldn't go by that price. That guy's not going to sell the CL1A for 2.8k.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:

Its funny in the beginning of GS when i would recommend the TT CL1B's & to change the tubes for tracking lead vox it was really out of earnestness and reading people's frustrations with tracking vocals.

So, to rephrase... what happened is *your* hype. heh

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
So, to rephrase... what happened is *your* hype. heh

Gregory Scott - ubk
No, not really.
If i were a gear pimp, or a gear developer, or someone who is sponsored by a gear developer but hides it & when he posts every other answer is the companies product than yeah you could bust my balls on it. But i only suggested it because so many disliked it back then and i couldn't understand why until i gathered that everyone up to that time had used them with stock tubes and it didn't occur to them to change them out. Also because peoples impression was that it was on the bland side you could get them used for real cheap. Remember this was the mid to late 90's early part of this century when people wanted lots of color out of their tubes to "warm up" their digital tracks.
Even with changed out tubes its not the right comp for tracking every voice. Heck i haven't owned one in over 6 years now and don't really miss it.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Even with changed out tubes its not the right comp for tracking every voice. Heck i haven't owned one in over 6 years now and don't really miss it.

Every time I hear one I'm whelmed at best; the grab sounds really 'compressory' but it lacks the meat of an la-2a or the sparkle of a tsl3.

Btw, I didn't mean to imply you had intentionally hyped something up for personal gain; I just remember a time when you were extremely active and equally specific in your gear recommendations and preferences, and your word was akin to gold in these waters, so I think you had a bigger impact on the used-gear price rise than you realize.

I'm not complaining or criticizing, it seems like simple market metrics in action given the ballooning nature of the mid- and lower-tier recording studio biz. Although I do remember a time when I had an opportunity to grab an original sta-level for $400 and I passed. Bad move #1. When I changed my mind later that year, he wanted closer to a grand, and I passed. Bad move #2.

I wonder if the used gear market now is akin to the housing bubble of early last year, and eventually it's gonna pop. If it ever does, I am *so* gonna swoop in.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Every time I hear one I'm whelmed at best; the grab sounds really 'compressory' but it lacks the meat of an la-2a or the sparkle of a tsl3.

Btw, I didn't mean to imply you had intentionally hyped something up for personal gain; I just remember a time when you were extremely active and equally specific in your gear recommendations and preferences, and your word was akin to gold in these waters, so I think you had a bigger impact on the used-gear price rise than you realize.

I'm not complaining or criticizing, it seems like simple market metrics in action given the ballooning nature of the mid- and lower-tier recording studio biz. Although I do remember a time when I had an opportunity to grab an original sta-level for $400 and I passed. Bad move #1. When I changed my mind later that year, he wanted closer to a grand, and I passed. Bad move #2.

I wonder if the used gear market now is akin to the housing bubble of early last year, and eventually it's gonna pop. If it ever does, I am *so* gonna swoop in.

Gregory Scott - ubk

I think the bubble's already starting to burst. At one point some people were selling 1073's for around or over 4k per module.
I've now had quite a few people offering 1073's for 3k each, and they were all in good condition too.
Long may this mini depreciation continue. I'm positive the huge increase in vintage equipment prices raised the prices of modern replicas or 'inspired by...' pieces, just because makers can. I'm ignoring the price increase in steel etc, but still.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Meanwhile, the Phoenix mastering compressor limited edition is out there, with built in side chain and other features. It apparently would cost less per channel than the CL1B. I would challenege anyone to provide samples of the tube tech verus Phoenix, in a mix, and see if people prefer the CL1B. My guess - either they would prefer the Phoenix, or hardly hear any different at all in a mix. They are both smooth. However, the Phoenix, to me is slightly euphonic right out of the box. (and the mastering edition Phoenix apparently has a tube upgrade in it to Mullards - though I suspect they are the recent Mullard re-issues which are still good but not as good as some of the Mullard NOS- I would love to be wrong about that.)
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I think this is fitting:

Old 19th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm ignoring the price increase in steel etc, but still.

Steel, don't get me started! The chassis is between 30-50% of the cost to manufacture a piece of high end gear.

That's nuts!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Phoenix mastering compressor limited edition is out there...

I got one coming next week! I've used one twice in sessions, I remember the tone quite well (satin), but didn't use it nearly enough to get a handle on what it's capable of.

I'm curious if I'll be able to abuse it, or if it's ever the polite guest.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Please share your comments on it. Congratulations on getting one! The original definitely had a tone, one that I really liked. (Not sure I care about the red color- I liked the black.)
Cheers,
AB

Quote:
I got one coming next week! I've used one twice in sessions, I remember the tone quite well (satin), but didn't use it nearly enough to get a handle on what it's capable of.

I'm curious if I'll be able to abuse it, or if it's ever the polite guest.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes He Will!!! Look at how many bids and feedbacks he has.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Could u guys please point me to 1 thatz $1800? I've never seen, well I've ONLY seen 1 go that cheap & that was on here... Otherwise, $2100-$2300 is all I've ever seen...
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

A year ago that was common for a used one. Apparently with the dollar exchange now, that is no longer the case. Meanwhile people who bought them for less than $1800 years ago, can now make some money on theirs. But they are probably keeping them.

I had this great idea of paying down my credit cards, so I sold both of mine for about $2000 with Mullard tube upgrades. A fairly stupid move in hindsight.

But, I still question whether they are worth $4000 or more with the new compressors coming out - like the NAIL and the Phoenix Limited Ed. Mastering Compressor, all the new 500 series compressors, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS View Post
Could u guys please point me to 1 thatz $1800? I've never seen, well I've ONLY seen 1 go that cheap & that was on here... Otherwise, $2100-$2300 is all I've ever seen...
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

I think whenever a plug-in emulation of hardware is released the hardware goes up in value. When the Fatso was released as a plug-in you would have thought that it was the best sounding piece of hardware ever made- I had to pull the Fatso out of the cupboard and try it again. But it was mostly hype.

Same with the CL1B. The Powercore version, now the soft tube version. Makes the gear more aspirational.

To the OP, The Phoenix and the C11B are 2 very different beasts, and actually compliment each other well.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Good post. I understand that the Cl1B and the Phoenix are quite different structures, BUT on vocals, they are very similar in terms of smoothness, with the Phoenix having more of a euphonic tone to me - but not so much that it is a heavy footprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
I think whenever a plug-in emulation of hardware is released the hardware goes up in value. When the Fatso was released as a plug-in you would have thought that it was the best sounding piece of hardware ever made- I had to pull the Fatso out of the cupboard and try it again. But it was mostly hype.

Same with the CL1B. The Powercore version, now the soft tube version. Makes the gear more aspirational.

To the OP, The Phoenix and the C11B are 2 very different beasts, and actually compliment each other well.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear