The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is with the tube tech cl1b prices?
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Guru

The Phoenix and TT are completely different units.
the TT hype comes and goes..nothing new..i got a third one for 1350.00 recently.
it really is a great vocal comp..sometimes its the only choice when the LA or retro,etc is just too much and flexibility is needed.
The phoenix mastering unit is cleaner sounding than the standard unit which is already a pretty clean sounding box.
when people say its a mojo,blah blah box I don't get it.
its absolutely wonderful for backing vocals and percussion.
i personally prefer the standard unit sonically.give me the extra features of the mastering unit and I'm happy
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

You have great gear karma. By the way, when you say the mastering unit, have you tried the red one with the mullard tubes that just came out?
Kind regards,
AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
. . .
the TT hype comes and goes..nothing new..i got a third one for 1350.00 recently.
. . .
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
I think whenever a plug-in emulation of hardware is released the hardware goes up in value. When the Fatso was released as a plug-in you would have thought that it was the best sounding piece of hardware ever made- I had to pull the Fatso out of the cupboard and try it again. But it was mostly hype.

Same with the CL1B. The Powercore version, now the soft tube version. Makes the gear more aspirational.

To the OP, The Phoenix and the C11B are 2 very different beasts, and actually compliment each other well.
I agree with this. It's the opposite of what some hardware manufacturers would initially believe since they would assume they would sell less hardware if people had access to plugins that do almost the same thing. At the end of the day, people hear a great sounding plugin and say "Wow, if the plugin sounds that good, the hardware must sound even better." At least that's how I am. I've been using 1176 plugins for years, and as a result, I'm very close to finally buying a hardware 1176. The plugin really made me love that piece of gear.

Also, UBK should do a UAD version of their Fatso mod!!! UBK Fatso Sr?? *drooooool*
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
You have great gear karma. By the way, when you say the mastering unit, have you tried the red one with the mullard tubes that just came out?
Kind regards,
AB
Sometimes it comes around..but sometimes i pay through the nose

Haven't heard the latest Santa Claus version..can't imagine it being sonically worlds different from the previous units.
of course i need to hear one
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

I focus on your wins. It seems that in this economy it should not be too hard to snag some for the win column, unless you are selling, of course.

Have you found the Phoenix to have too much of a footprint for lead vocals? And if so, it sounds like the mastering version would be less of this footprint (or color or whatever this is called these days!)

Quote:
Sometimes it comes around..but sometimes i pay through the nose

Haven't heard the latest Santa Claus version..can't imagine it being sonically worlds different from the previous units.
of course i need to hear one
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:

Have you found the Phoenix to have too much of a footprint for lead vocals? And if so, it sounds like the mastering version would be less of this footprint (or color or whatever this is called these days!)
I personally am not crazy about the Phoenix for tracking or even mixing lead vocals.
I find it leaves much less of a footprint than say an LA or 1176.it does not have the thickness or girth that so many others do.its pretty hi fi sounding.
tracking vocals through it is nice but I don't find the in your face yet warm-tucked nicely away into the music feeling I get from a vintage 1176 or say LA2a,Retro or even the newer Little Devil which i'm loving too.
lately i'm tracking a rock vocalist w/ vintage 1176 then lil dev[internal paralleling-using mix knob to taste] for mix..
sounds amazing.impossible to fvck up
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Says a lot for the Little Devil. So what is the CL1b for that you do not have covered with the Little Devil, Phoenix, La2a, Retro, Vintage 1176 and the other compressors you have??? (You don't need to defend this, I mean this is Gearslutz, not frugalslutz or lessequipmentisbestslutz.)

Quote:
I personally am not crazy about the Phoenix for tracking or even mixing lead vocals.
I find it leaves much less of a footprint than say an LA or 1176.it does not have the thickness or girth that so many others do.its pretty hi fi sounding.
tracking vocals through it is nice but I don't find the in your face yet warm-tucked nicely away into the music feeling I get from a vintage 1176 or say LA2a,Retro or even the newer Little Devil which i'm loving too.
lately i'm tracking w/ vintage 1176 then lil dev for mix..sounds amazing.impossible to fvck up
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Says a lot for the Little Devil. So what is the CL1b for that you do not have covered with the Little Devil, Phoenix, La2a, Retro, Vintage 1176 and the other compressors you have??? (You don't need to defend this, I mean this is Gearslutz, not frugalslutz or lessequipmentisbestslutz.)
the devil may be a 500 module but it ain't no joke.you ever see the inside of one?don't know how he did it

I could never have enough compressors.especially for mixing.

really just a different tool in the box to grab I guess.
different brush,different color.also it is pretty flexible.
its the cleaner more transparent vibe but w/ still enough so called tubeyness/warmth to round things out.
w/ the Mullards the midrange gets a bit more velvety..its subtle but great for vox.
I've been able to get a very in your face yet clear sound from the thing vs. say the typical one trick LA2a "hey that's a tube compressor working" sound
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

I think I value your opinion more than anyone else on this board (especially when it comes to compressors!) No offense to anyone else.
I found that the Mullard M8137 vintage 50s was awesome in the tube tech.
But as I said, I also loved the Phoenix on vocals - BUT I would not know where to begin with modding tubes on it - and I love to replace tubes. (I am sort of a
tubeslut.)

Quote:
the devil may be a 500 module but it ain't no joke.you ever see the inside of one?don't know how he did it

I could never have enough compressors.especially for mixing.

really just a different tool in the box to grab I guess.
different brush,different color.also it is pretty flexible.
its the cleaner more transparent vibe but w/ still enough so called tubeyness/warmth to round things out.
w/ the Mullards the midrange gets a bit more velvety..its subtle but great for vox.
I've been able to get a very in your face yet clear sound from the thing vs. say the typical one trick LA2a "hey that's a tube compressor working" sound
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
I think I value your opinion more than anyone else on this board (especially when it comes to compressors!) No offense to anyone else.
I found that the Mullard M8137 vintage 50s was awesome in the tube tech.
But as I said, I also loved the Phoenix on vocals - BUT I would not know where to begin with modding tubes on it - and I love to replace tubes. (I am sort of a
tubeslut.)
aw schucks..
seriously though i give full credit to the Mullard/Telefunken replacement thing to our very own Mr thrillfactor and Brian Luceythumbsup
can't imagine it being hard to do up the Phoenix w/ NOS
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

I don't think so. About $80 for shipping. Most likely an international transaction.
Looking at about $2300 for unit that is not in great condition, though it says it works great
A year ago it would have been about $1600.
Perhaps the person bought if for less than $2000.
And frankly, all the reseach and development costs on this unit have been completed a long time ago. I would like to know how much it really costs to build this unit today.
Compare it to new models today where the manufacturers spent a lot on design, reseach and development. Yet their prices are more reasonable (like the upcoming NAIL compressor from A Designs which will be TWO channels for less than $3000. Or how about a Buzz SOC on vocals for $2000 for TWO channels - anyone tried that unit on vocals - smooth.)

So frankly, I think tube tech is in a weird bubble on this one. Used units with rack rash, etc. should be less than $2000.

Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
A year ago it would have been about $1600.

So frankly, I think tube tech is in a weird bubble on this one. Used units with rack rash, etc. should be less than $2000.
Dude I don't mean no harm but I have been looking for 1 for our Memphis studio for over 2yrs; I hadn't just took a bite @ 1 because we have 2 @ our Nashville spot; But I have not ever seen for 1600 anything; & I check frequently on different units, this 1 being 1 of them... The cheapest I have seen was $1,850 & that was from a GS seller on here; otherwise, they're always $2,000+; I'd be mega happy to see the $1,850 again but as I said that was once & I couldn't believe it when I saw that...
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Here is a Cl1a - hand wired version - on GS a couple years ago for $1400.

FS: Tube-Tech CL1A

cl1b super condition $1775 --2 yrs ago:
FS: Tube-Tech CL1B (VXT4, Brauner VM1) in LA

Economy is worse now, but not reflected on the used market of this unit. However, there is an AMS Neve in the classifieds for $2500 and that is the lowest I believe I have seen that.

So I agree with the posts above, about the software introduction inflating it, etc.

Cheers,
AB
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah I had a buddy renting out my B room about 5yrs ago and he picked up a CL1B for 1,000.00 That I thought was a good deal.. Pissed me off.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here is a Cl1a - hand wired version - on GS a couple years ago for $1400.

FS: Tube-Tech CL1A

cl1b super condition $1775 --2 yrs ago:
FS: Tube-Tech CL1B (VXT4, Brauner VM1) in LA

AB
Mannnn I'd be soooo happy to find those coupons rite now
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Yes - let's hope so. Meanwhile, it will be worth checking out the A Designs Nail when it comes out in the next couple of months. Under $3000 for two channels. And if it has the sound quality of the Hammer, it will be a sweet compressor.

Cheers,
AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS View Post
Mannnn I'd be soooo happy to find those coupons rite now
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes - let's hope so. Meanwhile, it will be worth checking out the A Designs Nail when it comes out in the next couple of months.
AB
kinda sprung on the CL1B
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Our non mastering Phoenix with side chain filters has Mullard (12AT7) and Siemens (pcc85) as standard.
Old 23rd November 2009
Even if it was only $1600, I could build a stereo pair of 175s from Drip Elec. for less than that. Not the same sort of comp of course, but not something anyone would turn their nose up by any stretch of the imagination. I bet anyone here would probably take something like a pair of Retro 176's over a mono Tube Tech at $1600, right?

Get up a bit above $2K and I could do his Fairchild 660 (though I might be a little scared of building that one.)
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Most take that, but I stand with sayin I only won't another Tubetech; Sorta like how people want Neve 1073's & hear something like an Aurora & say it sounds great or even better but still just want a Neve 1073...
Old 1st June 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Even if it was only $1600, I could build a stereo pair of 175s from Drip Elec. for less than that. Not the same sort of comp of course, but not something anyone would turn their nose up by any stretch of the imagination. I bet anyone here would probably take something like a pair of Retro 176's over a mono Tube Tech at $1600, right?

Get up a bit above $2K and I could do his Fairchild 660 (though I might be a little scared of building that one.)
Time is money.
Old 1st June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiHunter View Post
Time is money.
Yup, and some with extra time on their hands would prefer to pay themselves to assemble a piece of gear rather than pay someone else to do it.
Old 1st June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
What happened is the GS hype.

Its happened to alot of outboard gear here over the years. Its funny in the beginning of GS when i would recommend the TT CL1B's & to change the tubes for tracking lead vox it was really out of earnestness and reading people's frustrations with tracking vocals. Back then i knew that lots of people had dismissed them and back in the early 90's changing the tubes(the stock tubes always made them sound bland) smoothed it out and made it better.

Fast forward and people are asking ridiculous amounts for it because its become popular and the new "defact' GS vocal tracking comp.
Face it Thrill it's all your fault. FWIW I bought one just a few years back and only paid 1200 for it
Old 1st June 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yup, and some with extra time on their hands would prefer to pay themselves to assemble a piece of gear rather than pay someone else to do it.

And some people have one foot, and others have a pair.

The sentiment was not in context of most of the people participating
in the discussion. Actually, 'twas a ridiculous ideal. Sure, I roll
my own; but should it be suggested to someone who either clearly would lose money or, at least save very little?

This not what occurred, but let me take things to an extreme for educational purposes:

"Blah blah; something about prices on multi-thousand dollar doo dads that I buy up like candy."

"Nar nar, I built my own for $10 instead of spending $20! You're a fool!"

"It takes 8 hours. I would miss out on a day of work from paying clients.
my rate is $1 million dollars an hour. I would end up with a suspect diy first time build from my own hands with a loss of $7,999,990 when I'd like to have something made from a very experienced person (in some cases the designer) who's made hundreds of these things and still be up by $7,999,80 at a loss of $20. "

I know you know this, but for the sake of the children. The children, mang.
Old 1st June 2010
Actually, it used to be the norm as I've been told. You wouldn't have been considered a real engineer if you couldn't probably. So it's not some flippant answer. It's really the manly answer :-) Tom Dowd, who did more great albums than anyone here ever will, somehow still had time to build custom desks and so forth.

Of course you wouldn't start with the most expensive piece. Build a few pre-amps first, then an LA-2A, then the 175s. It's actually not as hard as it seems, and it's very educational to actually know something about the tools you are using and to be able to fix and maintain them yourself. Once you've got some experience, then you can do them fairly quickly and assuredly, and have some killer equipment for very good prices.

It's no different to me from a guitarist learning to maintain his or her own instruments, which seems to me like something any good musician would want to do. But I'm a geek, so that probably flavors my view.
Old 2nd June 2010
Gear Maniac

You weren't being flippant. I grossly paraphrased a fascination of you
being flippant. heh

After the likes of Dowd (who worked on THE BOMB), came the long hairs who worship crystals and believe in magic, ufos and the sasquatch. I'm just sayin. ..

Reality is I agree with you 100% (and most here have built their own gear), however given the thread, I just don't think it applies here.

However, I'm derailing and/or trolling at this point. Over and out.
Old 25th July 2015
Now 2015

from2100 to 2500 used
Same as elam 251 s
Neumanns etc etc
All the prices go up!
Old 25th July 2015
Lives for gear
They are pretty useless on everything except vocals, acoustic guitar, and kick drum. But at those things they are probably the best compressor out there. I still can't justify the price and would rather end up with an MEC1A channel strip and patch into the compressor from a Neve for acoustic guitar and vocals. For kick drum I would use the MEC1A preamp. Also I would think that Softube's plugin version would devalue the hardware because it's spectacular sounding! Then again the plugin might be inspiring a rush to get a real one. Who knows.
Old 4th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
.... I bet anyone here would probably take something like a pair of Retro 176's over a mono Tube Tech at $1600, right?
I know we're doing some archeology here, but holy cow, what was I doing in 2009 -- or am I reading that wrong? I'm not good at math when I'm tired. I have a pair of the Retros on the way (albeit new), and the price was, um, somewhat in excess of that number.

Just now ebay says the price of the CL1B is "Trending at $2,515.00" - not sure whether that average includes both new and used sales or not (or whether there are any new sales on ebay - I didn't see any), but that jives with $2500. I have a pair of those, haven't tried them on kick drum, I'll have to - love them on vocals (can be mind blowing on stems of multiple backing vox) and occasionally acoustic guitar. Often great on bass, imo. If I could figure out how to do a high pass side chain with them, I'd try them on the mix bus, and I bet they'd occasionally be really nice there. Funny, for me, the irrational appeal was the fact that I couldn't get the plugin (at that time) without having an iLok, and I got so sick of trying to find an alternative that I broke down and got the hardware. Really glad I did, even as late to the party as I was.

Last edited by antichef; 4th August 2015 at 09:10 AM..
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear