The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Charter Oak SA 538B
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

Charter Oak SA 538B

Is the price justified?

I think he's a good candidate as my new no.1 vocal mic ...
Old 18th November 2009
The price is MORE than justified. It provides more quality than the low price would indicate IME. Mike Demming the owner of CO is also obsessed with the quality of his microphones. But there is more to a mic than just its quality, there is also getting the right mic for the application. Why are you looking at the B as compared to the non B version? Do you need an airier or more of a neutral top?
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
The price is MORE than justified. It provides more quality than the low price would indicate IME. Mike Demming the owner of CO is also obsessed with the quality of his microphones. But there is more to a mic than just its quality, there is also getting the right mic for the application. Why are you looking at the B as compared to the non B version? Do you need an airier or more of a neutral top?
Maybe you could tell me what's the main difference between the b and non-b model !?
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Record Ready View Post
Maybe you could tell me what's the main difference between the b and non-b model !?
The "B" model is more airy in the higher frequencies, around 10-15khz to my ears, where the NON "B" model has more upper midrange presence in the 5-7khz range. In general I'd use the "B" for female vocals, and the non "B" for male vocals, but there are no rules and it depends on the vocalist (and a lesser extent the preamp).

Here is an 'average' frequency response chart from the CO site for both mics.

CharterOak Acoustic Devices Model SA538 Large Diaphram Condenser Microphone Frequency Response

CharterOak Acoustic Devices Model SA538B Large Diaphram Condenser Microphone Frequency Response
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
The "B" model is more airy in the higher frequencies, around 10-15khz to my ears, where the NON "B" model has more upper midrange presence in the 5-7khz range. In general I'd use the "B" for female vocals, and the non "B" for male vocals, but there are no rules and it depends on the vocalist (and a lesser extent the preamp).

Here is an 'average' frequency response chart from the CO site for both mics.

CharterOak Acoustic Devices Model SA538 Large Diaphram Condenser Microphone Frequency Response

CharterOak Acoustic Devices Model SA538B Large Diaphram Condenser Microphone Frequency Response
thx man!
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Nathan is right
the 538B has safed me a couple of times when recording female vocals.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Nathan got me into the 538B. LOVE IT. It kills on acoustic and vocals.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

To which more known microphone would you compare the 538 B ?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear