The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
i need a de-escher
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

yes, all the above solutions. Lately ive been trying out some of my tube gear. I found that some tube compressors actually help in that matter. And of course, try different mics and preamps. I cant hear any of those shhh and chhs with a r84...
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Guru

The attack time on your vocal comp(s) is crucial, too. Also, at the risk of dragging a dead horse into the middle of the road and gratuitously flogging it: plugin comps are huge offenders in creating sibilance where none need exist.

Some are worse than others, but that hf smear and distortion on plugins can be pretty nasty. So if you're using them and getting this problem, try spreading the work across 2 or even 3 plugs.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Try and find a Urei LA-22

If you are looking for a HARDWARE de-esser with maximum control, the best one out there is the vintage Urei LA-22. I believe they stopped making those in the early 1990's but you can find them on the used market. Its a 2 channel unit and you have full parametric control over the frequency you compress INCLUDING THE WIDTH (Q) and then you have full control over the attack/release for that frequency. It takes awhile to master the LA-22, but there is nothing else that I am aware, HARDWARE WISE, that will do what it does as a de-esser. If the LA-22 does not solve your de-essing problem, no piece of hardware will.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Just stop singing in German.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
I was about to say : stop recording bands from Arkenshaw!
Or bandge that have Jodie Foshter shinging.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear