The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Red Series
Old 13th January 2011
I've heard good things about the Red 3. thumbsup
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

we have had a red 1 - 4ch pre for 8 years, its a good clean fall back pre when we run out of neve, daking, api pres. its a nice pre, a lil vanilla as said before. but very usable.

the red 3 comp was CLA's go to bus comp for a few years... we'd like to get an old one.

blue series was pretty nice too!

all that focusrite stuff after red/blue is pretty crappy, platinum peeeuuew!
and all that 4ch/8ch stuff now sounds thin and digital to me.... NOTHING like the red/blue focusrite stuff IMHO.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigfrog View Post
we have had a red 1 - 4ch pre for 8 years, its a good clean fall back pre when we run out of neve, daking, api pres. its a nice pre, a lil vanilla as said before. but very usable.
How does the Focusrite pres compare to the Daking pres?
Old 29th January 2011
Gear Addict

In search of 2Buss nirvana I tried the following; Dramastic Audio Obsidian, Neve 33609JD, API2500 and Smart C1 before landing on the Red 3 (with Alan Smart Sidechain cables)

Whilst the others all brought great things to the table, for my stuff (pop/RnB) the Red 3 does something that none of the others can touch, a kind of ultra wide, mid-forward pop sheen that screams 'record'.

I adore it
Old 29th January 2011
Deleted User
Old 31st January 2011
Gear Nut

Red 2 bus

I use a red 2 as 2 bus eq in combination with a smart c2. Even the in and out transformer without eqing make a nice color, and the baxandall shelves are pretty nice for opening up and bottoming. With 1000€ it was the only usable mix eq i could afford. Though it's a pita to setup, as it has no stepped pots.
Could also be a nice tracking eq.

Smart c2 cables are an easy way for splitting the signal and highpass filtering the sidechain. I think 6 db @ 150 hz.
Old 1st May 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMac View Post
A friend of mine A/Bed several recordings of several sources, comparing the Red series pre with an octopre to several dozen (engineer & assistant engineer) listeners... the Octopre polled something like 60% of the vote. I had a listen and honestly could tell very little difference. I could even tell the difference between a couple of different types of ISA.
I'd say try the Red out for yourself before making a judgement to buy. You might be best spending 1/4 of the money and getting 8 pres that sound extremely similar!
In my Opinion not(owning both) Could you imagine which I find superior?
Old 1st May 2011
Gear Addict

I've had the isa 428 for years and I have no complaints, from what I've read they sound like the red series pres, except the isa stuff is assembled in china.

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz.com App
Old 1st May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
How does the Focusrite pres compare to the Daking pres?

well, we have the older dakings w/ metal knobs + EQ ...surgical eq ...
red 1 , we don't have eq for, but I think they are similar....
Old 1st May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I do have a Red Zero
Me too..
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear