The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your secret weapon
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Addict

Your secret weapon

What piece of gear has such an important impact to your work that it is impossible to replace ?I mean that it makes you think you could only replace it by another copy?
Old 16th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by huarez View Post
What piece of gear has such an important impact to your work that it is impossible to replace ?
My brain and ears. heh

With these two tools, I can make anything work... but the reverse can not be said.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
My brain and ears. heh

With these two tools, I can make anything work... but the reverse can not be said.

thumbsupthumbsup

LOL I was thinkinig that EXACT same thing almost word for word as I clicked on this thread. Tony has it right.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
My brain and ears.
I bought NOS spares from a guy whose uncle used to run the German factory, so I'm set.

Honestly I think I'd go broke without a stack of SM57s. Guitars, pianos, acoustics, overheads, you name it — anytime I know I'm gonna jack up 3k and shave a bunch of bottom on something to make it cut through a mix, I'll track it with 57s.

- Chris
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

My wife......
She wants the bills payed and thinks something's wrong if I'm not busy.
She also feeds me which in turn keeps me working.
My next secret weapon would obviously be my ears and I.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear
Tony got it right thumbsup
everything else is replaceable
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Head

My ears and some jack daniels... No better combo...
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Is this a riddle ?
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Hearing will be replacable in the near future.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I know it's kind of a loaded question, but I know what the OP is getting at and I'll give it a serious shot...

Bricasti M7 - its mark is everywhere in my productions (in some form or another)... nothing else sounds quite like it and it's light years beyond any other machine of its type... it has changed the game for me, rewritten the rules - however you want to put it. In all honesty, it's one of those rare things in life that changes your overall tastes permanently; once experienced, anything else is simply unsuitable. That's my experience anyway.
Old 17th November 2009
Heart.

Without it everything becomes meaningless.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

My secret weapon is experience and employing the right people!
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Head

Definitely my Manley ref-c and prism orpheus.. that combo is unbeatable when making pop and dance vocals! The radiosound i was looking for just came naturally!
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

I know this is going to sound like a sales pitch. I think of my Facility as one big useful item. The hole place is a big creative product that allows me to accomplish pretty much anything I want to. Its not just one piece of gear its the combination of the whole thing that makes it so special and functional. That, plus decades of working everyday.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Ok, so we've gotten one non-smart-ass answer. In case you guys were wondering, he was asking about gear, because he obviously can't buy your ears off of you. He wants something tangible that he can put his hands on and purchase.

To help in your request:

For Mixing: MY UAD cards are indispensible...I have 2 UAD 1's and 2 UAD2-Duo's. I have yet to run out of juice. I also love my Lynx converters. I'm sure Prism, Lavry, Mytek are all maybe a step up, but at the professional level, if you can't get where you want to be with the Lynx stuff, it ain't the converter.

Vocals: Honestly haven't found it yet, but I like the Manley Cardref on Vocals into an LA610. I'd love to try the Manley into a Pacifica into a Retro STA-Level.

Guitars: I use a Vintech Dual 72 with an AEA R92 on one speaker and a 421 on the other. I have never been unhappy with these results.

Bass: You'll never believe me...but...my studio's modded house Pbass into a Countryman Type 85 DI into an Octopre!! But on certain things I really like the Dual 72 as well.

Drums: Again, I haven't found my golden chain that I love. I always grab as much as I can and mute if not appropriate once in the box. There are certain things I've loved that I've discovered. Cad M179's on room mics into my Vintech uncompressed on the way in (the Vintech does compress on its own, it's just the nature of its rounding quality). On kick, I love my ISA220 with my Phoenix Audio D112 copy. Haven't fallen in love with anything on overheads, snare or toms although my Audio Technicas and EVE PL35's sound great on toms with my TL-Audio pres from time to time. They've surprised me quite a bit in the past, they're just not always consistent.

Hope this helps.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EqnoixStudios View Post
My secret weapon is experience and employing the right people!
Then you already know that employing me would make you untouchable!

I'm serious.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

My Studio designer -> Martin P
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

Spl td4
Old 17th November 2009
Umm!

A little labs phase tool! if **** is out of phase its different to being out of time I have brilliantly discovered all by myself.
Old 17th November 2009
In all seriousness the two things that I couldn't mix without these days are:

1. My room treatment & monitors (8ft. ceiling cloud, massive corner traps from floor to ceiling, rear wall bass traps and quadratic diffusion - Focal Twin6 BE monitors)

2. The A Designs Nail for two-buss compression (sorry everyone, I know it's not available for purchase yet but just wait until it is, you're going to love this thing)

Now, that being said, each and every piece of gear I own and use puts its stamp on my mixes, but..... and this is a big but........ I could probably get semi-close with software if I spent an extraordinary amount of time dialing stuff into the plug-ins. It's never going to be as wide and 3-dimensional as when I use my gear, but without the room treatment I couldn't hear what I was doing, without the Focals I wouldn't know where I was going, and without the Nail my mixes wouldn't have that amazing glue and punch that makes it immediately sound like a record.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Since I realize what the OP is asking I would say my Manley VoxBox. I have taken one with me to every session for the past 7 years.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Heart.

Without it everything becomes meaningless.

nothing is more true.
Old 17th November 2009
my blender...

mango margaritas
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Apogee Rosetta 200

BAM! Kick it up a notch!
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

once we record, i have the client leave for a day.....

i then do a basic mix and before i let the client hear the playback, i give them an ear candle to suck out the earwax.......

they then hear the mix more clearly then they've heard anything and praise me for my skill, when in all actuality, it is just the ears finally working properly.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Let's stop gear worshipping. No single piece of equipment is essential. Everything is replaceable. Except for people.

Any decent engineer can step into any studio and get equally great results with whatever tools the studio has. If the OP is expecting to find a magic wand, there aren't.

Some top guns are working 100% ITB, while others need walls and walls of outboard and a console with two zip codes. It's just different methodologies, just like some need a Hummer and some prefer a Smart, to get from A to B.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

I think he was just asking a simple question. Im sure the question could be analyzed to the point that his childhood could be in question but I think he just wanted to know what piece of equipment we really really like. No need to GS this up. Just answer the question.

Here is an example of just answering his question. I really like using my equinox and if it no longer worked I would get another one because I really really like using it. I like it so much that I use it on every session I do. When I cant use my equinox I wish I was using my equinox. I really really like my equinox. I like it so much I use it all the time. I think that is the kind of answer he is looking for....right? LOL
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Guru

After reading the original post I turned and looked at my gear rack.

Although I love almost all of it, the only pieces that I really NEED to be THOSE specific pieces would be:

1. Yamaha NS10s
2. Black Beauty Snare
3. Wurlitzer
4. Channelstrip plugin
5. Distressor
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Barefoot MM27's. Now I can tell what all my other gear is REALLY doing.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

My People!

My secret weapon is my head engineer Nathan Zwald. He is teaching me engineering and does an incredible job on my own records. His ability to take an idea of a sound and translate it to real life is pretty cool. My studio gets a lot of first time in the studio type of artists and he works great with them to help explain why we do things the way we do...

Gear is totally replaceable, but people are not!

Rob
Welcome to Road Runner Studios

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search