The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your secret weapon
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
Apogee Rosetta 200

BAM! Kick it up a notch!
Im with Tennis on this one: When I travel and can only bring whats fits in my suitcase, I bring my Lavry Blue A/d convertor. If it doesnt get IN the box good, it wont get out any better!
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear
regarding room temperature coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
a thread just like this was started a few years ago

my favorite response - it made me say "hey, he stole my secret weapon!":
haha joeq, so it seems we've come full circle, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Also look at some of the answers. People are naming gear that are either new or haven't even been released yet? How is something so new is supposed to be so indispensable and life changing to the point where its so crucial to your sound?
100% agree.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

Positive Mental Attitude
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

what do you mean with "room temperature coffee"?

Coffee is done with either of these two devices:

Anything else, you're not talking about coffee, but filthy water ...
Old 21st November 2009
Or this of course (my personal favourite):
Attached Thumbnails
Your secret weapon-base_media.jpeg  
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

my music education. The macintosh computer.
Old 21st November 2009
Here for the gear

f all that s

a good band.

yer ears.
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Addict

xmas lights and blue stripes
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Guru

plus

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

2 words for ya

LAVA LAMP!!
just kidding

I think the best thing for me is to listening for hours to great sounding records at my studio, paying so much attention to frequency detail everywhere in the room
Old 22nd November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonio Ruiz View Post
I think the best thing for me is to listening for hours to great sounding records at my studio, paying so much attention to frequency detail everywhere in the room
Definitely. I harp on that all the time, and it's so important. Learn what the stuff you love sounds like in your configuration, and really examining why and how those song work so well is one of the best educations you can give yourself.
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
1. UAD Pultec on Mix bus. If you just insert it without turning any knobs it lifts the track and adds pixie dust and a very very pleasing manner

2. Feeling racks with useless gear so people think that all the gear makes the mix sound better
Level match after you have engaged that uad pultec. You've been had my friend.

mike
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMitchell View Post
Level match after you have engaged that uad pultec. You've been had my friend.

They programmed a level boost into a plugin that's ostensibly running at unity gain?

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

1. RCA SK46.
2. Sennheiser MD431.
3. Oktava ML16.

Sshhh!
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Nut

My blackberry with the phone numbers of the best musicians I know. No piece of gear beats out a well performed track heh
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

My pair of Beyerdynamic M160.
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

i don't have anything that's 'secret' i'm afraid. i'm exposed, everyone around me can see everything i do, including the mistakes. maybe that's a good thing, maybe not, not sure yet.
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
what do you mean with "room temperature coffee"?

Coffee is done with either of these two devices:

Anything else, you're not talking about coffee, but filthy water ...

Filthy water, eh?

What about this:

Old 24th November 2009
Recording a lot of young bands new to recording I think my secret weapon is that back when I was 18 I experienced recording with a bunch of 'older guys' in charge (engineers / producers) etc and know just how little connection there was between us.. So in other words I had been there before myself and didn't find much in common with the 'older dudes' in charge of the session..

So as a senior person in charge on sessions with young bands I think its vital that you are able to ...

... break out the "Homer Simpson dance" when required!

I have other "moves" too.. James Lugo caught my "old infantry soldier marching forward with grim determination" move on video. This move is IMHO ESSENTIAL for a producer to do to inspire any sort of convincing 'we are going to kill you" chugging metal rhythm guitar playing.. (for some reason James found this very amusing, but I dont know why, it's serious) You can see the move here at 1:18

You gotta have the moves...
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Well now, if I actually TOLD you, it would no longer be secret (now, would it?)!

That being said, it is no secret that a mediocre recording of a great performance beats the pants off of a brilliant recording of a mediocre performance.

...So ANYTHING you use that consistently aids you in facilitating THAT is a more formidable "weapon" than anything one would wield at a turd in effort to polish it!
Old 25th November 2009
An old marantz 3 head tape deck - a good consumer tape deck my father used in the 90's. sometimes I record a bass track to it and then back to the DAW - sound really good to me.

M
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibralux View Post
An old marantz 3 head tape deck - a good consumer tape deck my father used in the 90's. sometimes I record a bass track to it and then back to the DAW - sound really good to me.

M
Yeah.

Its amazing to me what ends up making a bass sound good.

I guess the closest thing to I have to a secret weapon in THAT regard is an old Volumax limiter.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post

... break out the "Homer Simpson dance" when required!

I have other "moves" too.. James Lugo caught my "old infantry soldier marching forward with grim determination" move on video. This move is IMHO ESSENTIAL for a producer to do to inspire any sort of convincing 'we are going to kill you" chugging metal rhythm guitar playing.. (for some reason James found this very amusing, but I dont know why, it's serious) You can see the move here at 1:18

You gotta have the moves...
HAHAHAHAHAHA I loved that move man!!!! I might try impress the ladies with it at the clubs this weekend...
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Maniac

My Tele.

Simple, american light ash tele.
It took 14 years of dreaming about it until i finally bought it, and then it all fell into place. I knew then that quality is something that might cost a lot (most of the time, more than you can afford) but it allows you to really HEAR the difference.

Also, my Leatherman. You can build a house with one. Not really, but maybe chuck can

Also on the list: my collection of plectrums and nail files (tone comes from hands, not voltage) - okay, i'll give you a real secret - 1200grit sandpaper. No nail file will ever compare.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

You can be the best driver in the world, but that wount not help much if you don't have a car.
Old 26th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmiLeyyy View Post
Definitely my Manley ref-c and prism orpheus.. that combo is unbeatable when making pop and dance vocals! The radiosound i was looking for just came naturally!
Do you use the Orpheus pre's, or if other please do tell. thumbsup
Old 26th January 2010
Lives for gear

my secret weapon?

my machinadynamica brilliant little pebbles.

shhhhh!!! don't tell anyone!
hehhehheh
Old 26th January 2010
Gear Addict

I think people who are choosing to be 'wise' with thier answers are either being smug or intentionally obtuse. It's a freaking GEAR DISCUSSION FORUM....

This would all be a better discussion in a pub!

But in the spirit of the OP's question. (Where he did mention "gear"...)

I don't know for sure... but it's between these 4 things...

-My Adam monitors... Nothing comes close. The first monitors I've ever owned that I can't imagine ever getting rid of.

-My custom SSL bus comp. Just does wonders across my 2bus.

-My UA M610. Early serial number... VERY early... Amazing... best Bass DI i've ever had.

-The PSP Vintage Warmer. Although I'm almost ashamed to admit it, I love this plug.... It's saved a whole bunch of drum tracks, and livened up a lot of mixes too!
Old 26th January 2010
If I actually were forced to be serious for once (and hopefully there aren't any long term repercussions from this), I'd say that at least one of my secret weapons is/are tube based guitar pedals. I have a couple nice little tube amps, but my Electro-harmonix Blackfinger and my Effectrode Tube Drive and Vibe Chorus pedals really make for a fat, warm signal, even more so the Blackfinger being an opto compressor as well.

I wish I could afford the other Effectrode pedals. They are super high quality. The Blackfinger is way lower quality than those (which stands to reason given the cost differential), but it does add a very nice thing to a guitar part and is great for the non-aggressive bass DI type thing as well. I'd probably use the 1176 for an agressive bass.

YouTube - Effectrode Tube-Vibe
YouTube - Effectrode Tube Drive
YouTube - Effectrode Vibra Chorus Pedal
YouTube - Effectrode Delta-Trem

I've replaced one of the 12AX7s in my Tube Drive with a 12AV7 which lowers the gain and allows for some really nice overdrive tones.
Old 26th January 2010
Gear Maniac

I'm shocked no one mentioned tube traps.

ASC Tube traps

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search