The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your secret weapon
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
or the the soft lips of a girl
Dang, I must have missed that when browsing the Sweetwater site. I need to get some of those for my studio. It's probably what's been preventing me from completely releasing my creative juices.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
... my talented friends are my biggest "not-so-secret" weapon...

Nice one. thumbsup

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Heart.

Without it everything becomes meaningless.
thumbsup100!!! Without it, you're nothing.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

1. UAD Pultec on Mix bus. If you just insert it without turning any knobs it lifts the track and adds pixie dust and a very very pleasing manner

2. Feeling racks with useless gear so people think that all the gear makes the mix sound better
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

My custom "Electronic Scrotum" stereo tube pre amp.
Old 19th November 2009
Sky
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huarez View Post
What piece of gear has such an important impact to your work that it is impossible to replace ?I mean that it makes you think you could only replace it by another copy?
Talent. Ears. Heart. All good.

But responding to the OP's question, I have to offer Stylus RMX as a not-so-secret weapon. Having tried multiple methods for creating rhythm tracks, I keep returning to RMX as the one that makes most sense to me, which is definitely a personal preference. But the bottom line is there is no other tool that works quite the same way. So yes it would be pretty difficult to replace, and doing so would require a significant workflow shift.

Sky
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

My secret weapon is the lovely studio that I mix in. Having been in many others, the current one is a treasure chest. And I love to be able to bring projects to it and spread its magic.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Head

may i request to anyone replying to this thread to submit their mix to hear the effects of their secret weapon? I really have no secret weapon yet since i'm relatively new and eager to learn

especially if you have the ear and heart.. i'd really like to hear it!
Old 19th November 2009
My Uranium P-38 Explosive Space Modulator.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

another thought...

another of my secret weapons is to hire musicians that have the right gear for recording, and that work really fast. It makes my job easy. I hate having to use eq and other effects to make someone's instrument not sound like doo doo.

Here are my top players;

JD Blair
Chris Kent
Karlton Taylor
Steve Brewster
Mark Hill
Jason Webb

and yes...they are all Nashville guys, and they can get funky too!

Rob
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haikusoftruth View Post
I use BAE 1073s
This one was expected here on GS
I like opinions about Transient Designer
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Nothing I use is secret but the methods that I use them I tend to not publicize that much... heheheh Don't get me wrong, I share but only with my friends
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Guy's asking for ideas about gear, a$$h*les. They should call it smart-a$$slutz.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

My taste! Good taste in music and good taste in choosing the right gear - which doesn't mean always the "best" and most expensive! In my case often enough the "crappy" flea market stuff that is slowly taking over And of course a good listening environment to evaluate the actual "crappiness" LOL

EDIT: and my VAST knowledge of all kinds of music - from the total obscure to obvious pop stuff. some friends call me a record collector, but i don't see myself as one. i have A LOT of records though )
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

All this money, time and gear...

...and am I alone in that NONE of it is indispensable? No secret weapon...

I'm bummed! I want one.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
and without the Nail my mixes wouldn't have that amazing glue and punch that makes it immediately sound like a record.
You are so funny!!
Great Gear Pimp!!

I respect A Designs as many other great companies!

But I do not know ANY piece of gear that IMMEDIATELY make a mix sound like a Record!

Or you are a just pushing your interest as a s Seller.
Or something is totally wrong with your understanding of mixing!

You said also the same thing about the SSL Bus compressor!!
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkooloid View Post
Guy's asking for ideas about gear, a$$h*les. They should call it smart-a$$slutz.
And some of us are saying it's not gear or some 'secret weapon' but how you use it. Talk about smartass, you're one of us as well....
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
What piece of gear has such an important impact to your work that it is impossible to replace ?I mean that it makes you think you could only replace it by another copy?

my converters and my 2in, My 2in deck that is
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

for vox and gtrs i love my old (1937) altec 633a thru the neve 1073 and the urei 1178...its. just. awesome.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Read the first post and thought, " Who will be the first jackass to say ears..."

Yep. Its Gearslutz. 80 threads about the new 500 series dinkbox but one question about what is indispensable and you get a bunch of schmucks saying they are, as in themselves... "my ears"... Vomit. Selfindulgent pseudo-intellectual jargon.

Jesus. Im ready to die.

And NOT my ears... Nitwits.

Your ears, my balls...
Very very funny (seriously).
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

There are No Secrets

Secret Weapon = Me(knowledge and experience) + anyone else that is as talented and creative.

Although I own great gear, and have worked in large and small studios, after years of true experience, I can engineer a record on radio shack equipment and still make it sound outstanding. I can work in any studio regardless of the setup or if I have even seen or heard of their gear, and if they are missing something, whatever I would possibly need is in my backpack. Even with my experience, I still commit to learning something new everyday, and stay open to new ideas.

Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Secret weapon: Hmmm.... I dont actually have any real clientelle, just lots of friends I work for free for.... but If there is one thing that made their mixes sound better, that could not be attributed to me (or my brain). I would have to say DSM by Pro Audio DSP and a Eventide H-3000. those two processors do something I cant do with audio.... wonder if anyone has thought about inventing a brain patch, like plug the jack into your head or something that interfaces with it and then once processed it should be the sound in your head.

Oh **** nearly forgot to mention.... I actually sucked as a mixer and none of myf riends thought I was any good till I learnt one thing properly... GAIN STAGING!!! without that knowledge I am pretty useless, I bought a Blue Kiwi mic which im hoping will be my new secret weapon for vocals.... anyone think its up for that job... I wont receive it till at least a month...

So the other secret weapon is really well written audio books and testimonials, "Behind the glass" is a great book, I learnt a lot and it helped me start doing some of my own creative thinking.

Cheers,

Suda

If only all of you gave your favorite bit of kit the OP could start the SECRET WEAPON STUDIOS...
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Read the first post and thought, " Who will be the first jackass to say ears..."

Jesus. Im ready to die.
then just die?

Quote:

And NOT my ears... Nitwits.

Your ears, my balls...
your secret weapon; to repel clients, is your *******ness, without doubt fuuck
Old 21st November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
You are so funny!!
Great Gear Pimp!!

I respect A Designs as many other great companies!

But I do not know ANY piece of gear that IMMEDIATELY make a mix sound like a Record!

Or you are a just pushing your interest as a s Seller.
Or something is totally wrong with your understanding of mixing!

You said also the same thing about the SSL Bus compressor!!
How can you pimp a product that's not even on the market yet?

To be fair, the SSL G Compressor does give that "record sound" to a mix when used correctly. The Nail just does an even better job, IMHO.

Isn't a "record sound" an amazingly detailed mix with clear highs, punchy mids, and a huge bottom end that is very controlled yet still retains the 3-dimensional qualities and wide stereo image (and doesn't sound like it's compressed)? Perhaps your definition differs from mine?

When the Nail is finally released and you get a chance to take a listen to it you'll realize what I'm getting at.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
How can you pimp a product that's not even on the market yet?

To be fair, the SSL G Compressor does give that "record sound" to a mix when used correctly. The Nail just does an even better job, IMHO.

Isn't a "record sound" an amazingly detailed mix with clear highs, punchy mids, and a huge bottom end that is very controlled yet still retains the 3-dimensional qualities and wide stereo image (and doesn't sound like it's compressed)? Perhaps your definition differs from mine?

When the Nail is finally released and you get a chance to take a listen to it you'll realize what I'm getting at.
I just tool your words, and I said A Designs is a great Company!!!
was not about the Nail..that I know is cool, I heard the unit at AES, was just your comment!

Cool!!
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

I second the SSL Mix Buss comp

and a Flux Capacicator
Attached Images
Your secret weapon-180px-flux1.jpg 
Old 21st November 2009
Quote:

Yep. Its Gearslutz. 80 threads about the new 500 series dinkbox but one question about what is indispensable and you get a bunch of schmucks saying they are, as in themselves... "my ears"... Vomit. Selfindulgent pseudo-intellectual jargon.

Jesus. Im ready to die.

Personally I use BAE 1073s more than anything else. Compression and eq included- though its not a comp, OP implied one thing. But of everything, that gets the most use and yields the best results with the least work.

But thats not including mics and instruments. Its the instruments (guitars and amps) that I would say are really it. My 55 martin and GVCG thru 56 Princeton sound good on anything... Some better than others but as always the key is the source.

And NOT my ears... Nitwits. If the band is on and the music is good, your job is to NOT get in the way... Unless you are all producers too... But then again who isn't a "producer" on the internet...

Your ears, my balls...
Hey man, I've always wondered - is that you smoking a bong hoot out of a clarinet on your avatar??? You think you'd be more chilled out
Attached Images
Your secret weapon-picture-2.jpg 
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

I go to sleep when getting nowhere, heh.

Matti
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
My custom "Electronic Scrotum" stereo tube pre amp.
I WANT!!
Old 21st November 2009
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Roland SDX-330

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search