The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your secret weapon
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Thanks for 'fessing up, we all feel better.

By the way, I have that same wallpaper in my studio.

-Casey

Casey, why you erased the part where I say 'Just kidding' on my quote? btw, what wallpaper you are talking about?

delcosmos.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Thanks for 'fessing up, we all feel better.

By the way, I have that same wallpaper in my studio.

-Casey
I wish it was cheap as wall paper..
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

My ears, my brain and the talent I'm blessed to work with.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Ears and ears
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

a 70's U87 cleaned/refurbed by Korby, a few nice preamps, and a Purple compressor
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

1. Ears
2. knowing my monitors
3. SPL Transient Designer
4. Cascade Fat Head
5. Radial Re-amp Box
6. Pro Tools Editing Capabilities (I can manually align all the tracks so they are perfectly in phase).

oh yea my Empirical Labs Mike-e and Avedis MA-5 are pretty cool too
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

PMC AB-1's ...... paired with the Hypex amps. 20-20 baby.

-bassman
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Secret Weapon? . . .

Maybe I wouldn't be a starving musician if I had one.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Alex View Post
Actually, five years ago I did that. It cost about that. That PC rarely crashes; almost never.

Two years ago I went back to Mac. This Mac, dare I say this, crashes more than the PC did...however, the crashes occur mostly when running apps other than FCP and PT.

The secret to a good PC is to build it yourself, with quality components, and researching...and not updating with every superfluous available update....and keep it away from the internet.

But working on the Mac, to me, it just flows better. To each his own. Some prefer Neumann, some Gefell. Some prefer Mac, some PC.
Well said, I take it back, you do have the experience....I just don't see spending more than double when my experience has been exactly that even mac pros crash constantly on all my friends using them...I have no issues...except when I max out harddrives...
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Read the first post and thought, " Who will be the first jackass to say ears..."

Yep. Its Gearslutz. 80 threads about the new 500 series dinkbox but one question about what is indispensable and you get a bunch of schmucks saying they are, as in themselves... "my ears"... Vomit. Selfindulgent pseudo-intellectual jargon.

Jesus. Im ready to die.

Personally I use BAE 1073s more than anything else. Compression and eq included- though its not a comp, OP implied one thing. But of everything, that gets the most use and yields the best results with the least work.

But thats not including mics and instruments. Its the instruments (guitars and amps) that I would say are really it. My 55 martin and GVCG thru 56 Princeton sound good on anything... Some better than others but as always the key is the source.

And NOT my ears... Nitwits. If the band is on and the music is good, your job is to NOT get in the way... Unless you are all producers too... But then again who isn't a "producer" on the internet...

Your ears, my balls...
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretschman View Post
If girls start dancing around the control room during playback...

We have a winner!

This is also how I know I've found the groove when I'm playing traps at a gig: those asses gotta be shakin', or I have failed.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Guru

Gearwise, I'd have to say the console. Can't for the life of me make a decent mix without one.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

maybe this site should be called earslutz
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

The Eventide H-8000 FW is irreplaceable.
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

can't live wiwthout...

my API 5500 eq.
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by haikusoftruth View Post

Your ears, my balls...
Every piece of gear plus every possible topic has been pretty much discussed ad naseum here on GS in the last seven years.

Like this is the first time on the "secret weapon" thing?

I almost wish someone had said the search button on Gearslutz.

Also every time it comes up i don't get why its up to anybody to divulge what is their "secret weapon"? I mean isn't it supposed to be "secret" to begin with? And if its almost irreplaceable why would i talk about it here? Don't i want to keep the "secretness"and the interest down so i can find a replacement and hopefully keep the price down on said piece of gear? You know how thing go around here. You discover something new, post about it and you go on Ebay and the price suddenly goes through the roof or said piece of gear is for sale in the classifieds.

(I've always wondered if this was done on purpose).

Also look at some of the answers. People are naming gear that are either new or haven't even been released yet? How is something so new is supposed to be so indispensable and life changing to the point where its so crucial to your sound?
Old 18th November 2009
I've said it before, but I'm too tired to get up and go take a bath, so I'll type it again as a way of delaying the inevitable...

My 'secret weapon', as a self-recording home studio guy, was realizing that I am a self-recording home studio guy. I'm not a professional mixer. I only have to accept stuff that I play/record. So it makes WAY more sense to concentrate heavily on the composition, playing, and recording parts of the process, and hence to optimize my sources (instruments, amps, pedals, speakers, etc...) instead of spending money on things that pros need because they have to be able to do heavy lifting on whatever comes through the door.

I kind of realized this a while back, but it's been a slow slog moving myself and the studio in that direction and I'm finally about there, and my results are stupidly better now. I just try to record as good stuff as I possibly can. It makes no sense to spend days on heroic mixing, when you can just recording it right to begin with. And it's 90% mixed when the recording is done.

Though, I guess if I had a hardware secret weapon, it's the re-amp box. Even if I don't actually end up doing any traditional re-amping, just having a virtual studio assistant that can play the part for me (in the context of the song) while I put on the engineer's hat and work on tone and mic position and such. That's a pretty priceless thing. Even if I then just take it out of the equation and record the part directly, it will have served a very important purpose.

Though, even then, I still use it for re-amping soft synths, or sending maybe vocals or drums out through guitar pedals to do some things. So it's just a hugely useful little widget, whose benefit is far out of proportion to its cost.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

my boner,

both in and out of the studio!
Old 18th November 2009
My secret weapon

I have already made **** loads of mistakes in the studio, these days i make fewer and some turn out to be great. /Toby
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Best secret weapon:

Commercial facility with great assistants.

I say "secret", because nobody knows what it is anymore. Equipment manufacturers have shifted their target customers to the M.I crowd, and want them to believe by buying their stuff, they can get the same results at their bedrooms/garages than pros with decades of experience with all sorts of equipment at their fingertips, at 100sqm professionally designed tracking rooms, or at a control rooms with monitors specifically tailored to the room's acoustics.

If you want to believe that, then the "secret weapon" is whatever is advertised in pages of current issues of Mix, EQ..
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Read the first post and thought, " Who will be the first jackass to say ears..."

Yep. Its Gearslutz. 80 threads about the new 500 series dinkbox but one question about what is indispensable and you get a bunch of schmucks saying they are, as in themselves... "my ears"... Vomit. Selfindulgent pseudo-intellectual jargon.

Jesus. Im ready to die.

Personally I use BAE 1073s more than anything else. Compression and eq included- though its not a comp, OP implied one thing. But of everything, that gets the most use and yields the best results with the least work.

But thats not including mics and instruments. Its the instruments (guitars and amps) that I would say are really it. My 55 martin and GVCG thru 56 Princeton sound good on anything... Some better than others but as always the key is the source.

And NOT my ears... Nitwits. If the band is on and the music is good, your job is to NOT get in the way... Unless you are all producers too... But then again who isn't a "producer" on the internet...

Your ears, my balls...
what a genius post
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

my girl under the mixing desk
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

My room and monitors (focal Solo 6Be's). After that, probably my distresser for vox.

Oh yeah, and some people will hate this: my waves plugs.

Justin
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Think "Dirk Diggler".
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post

Oh we know what it is. heh heh

I love those days - go in 30 minutes before downbeat. Double check mic placement, get coffee, give PT i/o instructions and HD to assistant, wander around and oogle the studers that are invariable sitting in hallways and tech rooms, get assistant a coffee (he's doing all the work lol), hang with musicians and get caught up, refill my coffee, schmooze client with stories of surfing and off-road adventures, bathroom break for coffee, downbeat, and move a couple faders an eighth of an inch while smiling at client as he blabbers in amazement at the incredible sound and my engineering skillz. Maybe tweak the level on the mic pre's a tad so I feel like I did something, switch playback to the bigs and crank it for the client. Then..............lunchbreak! Repeat for afternoon, but insert "decide on dinner restaurant" for client amenities. (VERY IMPORTANT)

A great room and great assistant, and I hardly feel like I've done ANYTHING except sit back and direct all day. Ahhhhhhhhhhh, the good ol days.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:

Jesus. Im ready to die.

Your ears, my balls...

heh heh, my friend, you are a very bitter person.
Old 18th November 2009
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
heh heh, my friend, you are a very bitter person.
I think his secret weapons ain't droppin' enough bows,hence the bitterness thumbsup
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjim View Post
maybe this site should be called earslutz
LOL
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
Best secret weapon:

I say "secret", because nobody knows what it is anymore. Equipment manufacturers have shifted their target customers to the M.I crowd, and want them to believe by buying their stuff, they can get the same results at their bedrooms/garages than pros with decades of experience with all sorts of equipment at their fingertips, at 100sqm professionally designed tracking rooms, or at a control rooms with monitors specifically tailored to the room's acoustics.

If you want to believe that, then the "secret weapon" is whatever is advertised in pages of current issues of Mix, EQ..
This might be a valid point. But nevertheless there are lots of great sounds recorded in small facility´s and a lot of bad recordings left the big one´s either, this is where the "earslutz" fraction comes to mind! Infact each production technique from room to stuff , from instrument to plug in can have an important impact to the result!
The Pizza service, the Vodka Brand, the Beer Lable or the the soft lips of a girl, the weather and last not least the Lava Lamp.
But at least, this is gearslutz, isn´t it?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EqnoixStudios View Post
My secret weapon is experience and employing the right people!
+1 here... great answer!

i would also say... my talented friends are my biggest "not-so-secret" weapon...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search