The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your secret weapon
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Experience
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

My secret weapon is a really good tuner
Old 17th November 2009
My brain.

With it I can do anything with audio. Without it I'm a veg.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 17th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
once we record, i have the client leave for a day.....

i then do a basic mix and before i let the client hear the playback, i give them an ear candle to suck out the earwax.......

they then hear the mix more clearly then they've heard anything and praise me for my skill, when in all actuality, it is just the ears finally working properly.
Crafty... Except that, clearly, your clients *do* like your mixes. Ear candles famously do absolutely nothing in the way of earwax removal; any perceived difference in hearing is just placebo effect. The stuff that appears to be 'sucked out' is actually residue from the candle itself. Check it out, I'm not kidding. If anything, ear candles are supposed to be quite dangerous.

As for my "secret weapon", it's a 10-ply (!) birch limited edition Pearl Masters snare drum. Kicks like a mule through any mix.
Old 17th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsandifer View Post
No need to GS this up. Just answer the question.
I like your choice of verb here
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by huarez View Post
What piece of gear has such an important impact to your work that it is impossible to replace ?I mean that it makes you think you could only replace it by another copy?
Figured I would repost the original question as people seem to miss it.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

If only there was one.

-R
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Chicks

If girls start dancing around the control room during playback , that's the best indication
of a winner !
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

The bounce button.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Set Surgeon View Post
Then you already know that employing me would make you untouchable!

I'm serious.
Pm me your resume!
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Figured I would repost the original question as people seem to miss it.
Ok, to down to business. I would say my monitors. Those are the key piece of gear I use, they are the bases to my decision making. Working on inferior monitors would fool my ears.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
once we record, i have the client leave for a day.....

i then do a basic mix and before i let the client hear the playback, i give them an ear candle to suck out the earwax.......

they then hear the mix more clearly then they've heard anything and praise me for my skill, when in all actuality, it is just the ears finally working properly.
Mate, that is such a bad idea.

Look here:
Ear Candling - Does it Work

You're in danger of damaging your clients' hearing!!

Peace
Old 17th November 2009
The 808-kick sounds like at Boom Boom Pow from Black Eyed Peas.

Hahaha
Sorry had to bring it up... from another thread

My main tool is my creativity and curiosity. That let's me take the time to do new things.

In fact I love all my hardware tools. Some I don't use often, but when I do I wouldn't miss them
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
Let's stop gear worshipping. No single piece of equipment is essential. Everything is replaceable. Except for people.

Any decent engineer can step into any studio and get equally great results with whatever tools the studio has. If the OP is expecting to find a magic wand, there aren't.

Some top guns are working 100% ITB, while others need walls and walls of outboard and a console with two zip codes. It's just different methodologies, just like some need a Hummer and some prefer a Smart, to get from A to B.
Ok. Let´s burry gearslutz.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

a pack of cigarettes, i can't work without them and i replace them with an exact copy regularly
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedesound View Post
a pack of cigarettes, i can't work without them and i replace them with an exact copy regularly
Come on, what brand and how deep do ya inhale?
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
Let's stop gear worshipping.
Right, because that should NEVER happen at a sight called GEARSLUTZ. Everyone needs to take it easy; all the "cute" replies are getting tiresome, don't you think?
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Pearson View Post
Mate, that is such a bad idea.

Look here:
Ear Candling - Does it Work

You're in danger of damaging your clients' hearing!!

Peace

i think you misunderstand, i acctually use a seringe to clean out their ears and make a candle with their earwax...... thus you have an earcandle...

and they can hear better after the removal
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

i also use voodoo dolls and early in the sessions i stab the dolls ears and my clients dont hear so well,

my secret weapon is to stop stabbing the dolls ears and incidently, my clients can start hearing he mixes really well!!!!!!!
Old 17th November 2009
It's all gauze and ball bearings these days, boys.
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyrockyhorror View Post
Right, because that should NEVER happen at a sight called GEARSLUTZ. Everyone needs to take it easy; all the "cute" replies are getting tiresome, don't you think?
+1. Agreed. GS is a place for Gear Sluts (wow, coincidence how 'GS' and 'gear sluts' coincide!) come to discuss gear.

"The BEST" pre amp doesn't exist. Or compressor. People just want to discuss opinions. Get over yourselves. So many people here are too serious, too anal, or too angry. I take it seriously, but I also enjoy it.

As for my indispensable piece of gear....I have many pres. If someone took my favourite pre, I can use others. Same with compressors or mics.

...but if someone took my Mac, I'd feel naked. A PC would be like driving a car with four flat tires.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Alex View Post
A PC would be like driving a car with four flat tires.
You've clearly never worked on one you've put together yourself from parts ordered and decided on specifically for audio...I don't ever have a single issue with my PC that I built myself and only cost $900 to do with 3 harddrives, 8gigs of ram and a quad core....you guys and your macs....
Old 18th November 2009
My ears and my brain...

Just kidding!

Best regards.

delcosmos.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

me. i'm about the most insecure person i know at times when working but every new client i work with always thank me and say stuff like "how did you get it to sound like that?" " this is so much better" etc. so for as much as i feel i may not be up to the level of many around here, i think 20+ yrs of experience has become my best tool without question.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Guru

a thread just like this was started a few years ago

my favorite response - it made me say "hey, he stole my secret weapon!":

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 View Post
Room Temperature Coffee.
Old 18th November 2009
For me it's my custom built Intravenous Mr. Coffee, with a tube based plate heater of course.
Old 18th November 2009

do the opposite of 80% ( and I am being generous with that percentage) of the posts on this site...
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
My ears and my brain...
delcosmos.
Thanks for 'fessing up, we all feel better.

By the way, I have that same wallpaper in my studio.

-Casey
Old 18th November 2009
Well!

If it isn't a phase tool then its something about me, I have Asperger's and so obsessives r us.
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
You've clearly never worked on one you've put together yourself from parts ordered and decided on specifically for audio...I don't ever have a single issue with my PC that I built myself and only cost $900 to do with 3 harddrives, 8gigs of ram and a quad core....you guys and your macs....
Actually, five years ago I did that. It cost about that. That PC rarely crashes; almost never.

Two years ago I went back to Mac. This Mac, dare I say this, crashes more than the PC did...however, the crashes occur mostly when running apps other than FCP and PT.

The secret to a good PC is to build it yourself, with quality components, and researching...and not updating with every superfluous available update....and keep it away from the internet.

But working on the Mac, to me, it just flows better. To each his own. Some prefer Neumann, some Gefell. Some prefer Mac, some PC.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search