The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anybody ever use LOMO UM53 microphone?
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Anybody ever use LOMO UM53 microphone?

It's a small diaphragm non tube microphone with 3 heads- cardioid, omni, and figure 8.

Curious if anyone has ever used these and how the are. I believe they were mostly used for film and location recording, they have a 12V power supply that is run on batteries.

thanks.
Old 10th January 2010
Gear Maniac

I think they are fantastic solid state mics... they can also run off a 220v power supply, but unfortunately they normally are with the old battery supplies. Can also be internally modded to run off of 48v phantom.

-Milt
( mkp27 on ebay )
Old 11th January 2010
Lives for gear

I just got the set and it has been modded to use standard 48V phantom. The mic and the 3 caps sound really great, classy!!!
Old 9th November 2011
Gear Nut

Would either of you guys care to comment on whether or not these mics would be a better choice than your typical 451, sm81, or mk012. I think I can score a pair for around $600. Or I can just get another sm81 to add to the one i already have and make a pair for OH. I also have a pair of little blondies.

--Josh
Old 9th November 2011
I thought that the User & friend Admiral James T. has one..

maybe he can join the discussion.
Old 9th November 2011
Gear Nut

yeah any input from any owners of these mics would be awesome!

thanks again
Old 23rd December 2011
Gear Maniac

They are fantastic sounding mics really! I think much better than 451's. They have a 3D quality to them like many classic Neumanns.
Old 23rd December 2011
Gear Nut

Awesome! Thanks for the input. I am going to see if they are still available and try to pick up the pair!
Old 11th January 2013
Here for the gear

um 53

I have a pair of these with the original power supplies. To me, they are the nicest sounding sd ever made - they are focused, and slightly compressed, deep and rich. I wouldn't trade 'em for anything. brilliant on acoustic guitar. Totally in-your-face.
Old 11th January 2013
Here for the gear

And yes, they sound like classic Neumanns.
Old 29th November 2016
Gear Nut

I just scored one of these on ebay. Oh goodness, it sounds very very good. So rich. I was shocked how good it sounded when I plugged it in.
Best $350 I ever spent.
Old 21st October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkp27 View Post
I think they are fantastic solid state mics... they can also run off a 220v power supply, but unfortunately they normally are with the old battery supplies. Can also be internally modded to run off of 48v phantom.

-Milt
( mkp27 on ebay )
Do you know the mod?

thx
Old 21st October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulusound View Post
I just got the set and it has been modded to use standard 48V phantom. The mic and the 3 caps sound really great, classy!!!
Do you know the mod?

thx!
Old 23rd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Addison View Post
Do you know the mod?

thx!
I'm not sure what you mean 'do I know the mod'. When I bought the mic it already been modded for 48V
Old 23rd October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean 'do I know the mod'. When I bought the mic it already been modded for 48V
Aha. Gotcha. I was asking what the details of the modification were. Thanks for the response.
Old 24th March 2018
Gear Guru

Just scored a pair of these puppies on a random twitch with 8A3 caps.

Any other thoughts and descriptions on what happens when these meet acoustic guitars would be exciting while I wait for them to land and find out for myself....
Old 24th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Just scored a pair of these puppies on a random twitch with 8A3 caps.

Any other thoughts and descriptions on what happens when these meet acoustic guitars would be exciting while I wait for them to land and find out for myself....
Just use one yesterday on acoustic guitar and it sounded fantastic, quite a bit like a km84. Very flat and musical
Old 24th March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Just use one yesterday on acoustic guitar and it sounded fantastic, quite a bit like a km84. Very flat and musical
Oh man, I am getting itchy excited. lol. What would you say the bottom end is like? As in is there as much of it as a km84 or skinnier?
Old 24th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh man, I am getting itchy excited. lol. What would you say the bottom end is like? As in is there as much of it as a km84 or skinnier?
Is def not thin in the low-end. I will try to post a small example of it at some point soon. These are sleeper mics for sure. I sold my 84s after getting a pair of these and they aren’t missed.
Old 24th March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Is def not thin in the low-end. I will try to post a small example of it at some point soon. These are sleeper mics for sure. I sold my 84s after getting a pair of these and they aren’t missed.
I knew I needed to click BuyItNow on these puppies. They were smiling back at me, asking me to invite them back. And your words are making me prepare a welcoming party for their arrival....
Old 24th March 2018
Lives for gear

Here is a quick snapshot of my UM53 on Ac Gtr, no EQ or compression. Preamp is Locomotive Audio 286A. There is a little bleed of another guitar that was tracking in the same room live.
Attached Files

lomo um53 on AC GTR.m4a (1.46 MB, 714 views)

Old 24th March 2018
Gear Guru

Thank you! Wow. I feel very smiley now.

Going to have fun with these!
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Guru

Oh man. They have landed. I need to thank you guys in this thread for saying what you said about them, persuading me to shoot into the dark and pick this pair up. These will stay with me until I stop breathing.

One of the pair has a tiny bit of something loose inside the amp which gives ever so slight shaky sounds when hit with sound so is going to go see my tech, but it works loud and clear otherwise, so I expect no dramas there at all. Both capsules all good. The other one works faultlessly.

Man, these must be amongst the loudest sdc's I ever used. So much output and so little noise! And the sound is pure wood. Soft, but clear organic places appear.

Thanks again guys!! So happy I gambled on these.
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Guru

Man, these puppies are the shizzle. Happy days. Such a great acoustic tone.
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Guru

Still super happy with these and wondering whether there are LDC capsules that would fit on these to anyone's knowledge? Would the thread perhaps be the same as Oktavas?

Any thoughts on that appreciated.
Old 12th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Still super happy with these and wondering whether there are LDC capsules that would fit on these to anyone's knowledge? Would the thread perhaps be the same as Oktavas?

Any thoughts on that appreciated.
I toyed with that idea, got a pair of Oktava LDC heads from Michael Joly. Unfortunately, the threads match but the depth of the contact doesn't. Couldn't get them to work.

Best of luck though! I'd be interested in hearing if you find something.

M
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Guru

Interesting, thank you. Would be great to find a fit for it. If I do I'll report back.

EDIT: I take it you mean the contact pin of the Oktava heads was to short to connect in the Lomo body?
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Guru
that guitar track sounds fantastic.....
Old 13th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Interesting, thank you. Would be great to find a fit for it. If I do I'll report back.

EDIT: I take it you mean the contact pin of the Oktava heads was to short to connect in the Lomo body?
I honestly can't remember if the pin was too short or the flange too tall. But it wasn't going to fit.
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

I've used the 19A19 amazing mics

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search