The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which converters do you use and swear by?
View Poll Results: Which converters do you use and swear by?
Apogee X series Ad16x or DA16x
34 Votes - 13.99%
Apogee Rosetta 800
32 Votes - 13.17%
Mytek 8x182
27 Votes - 11.11%
Aurora Lynx 8 or 16
54 Votes - 22.22%
Prism Orpheus
14 Votes - 5.76%
Prism ADA-8XR
9 Votes - 3.70%
Digidesign HD 192
19 Votes - 7.82%
Solid State Logic XLogic Alpha-Link
28 Votes - 11.52%
iZ ADA AD/DA Converters
14 Votes - 5.76%
Metro Halo ULN-8
12 Votes - 4.94%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th December 2009
Gear Nut

If you combine the Apogee Rosetta 8 with the Apogee 16's (Just like the choice for the Aurora Lynx 8/16), the Apogee's are the most favored at this point........ =)

Glad to see it.... Still diggin' my Rosetta 800
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Happy camper

I'm using an Aurora 16 with the AES16e card. I'm able to monitor 16 tracks with minimal latency (musicians don't notice at all). Very stable setup with Cubase here.
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

Looks like Aurora has made the most sales in the converter business. Whoopee!

I liked my Aurora 16 and 8, but I just have a commitment with Apogee X.
Love them both though.

If mytek 8x192 weren't so damm expensive to go to PT HD. I would have done Mytek. And if SSL would have PT HD compatibilty those would have been my #1 choice. Those converters ROCK!!! Why can't we just all get along..
Old 15th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Ua 2192
Old 15th December 2009
Gear Addict

I just installed a Lynx 16/LTHD because it was the cheapest way for me to get more i/o. It doesn't sound as good as the Apogee 800 it replaced though. I did a few mix recalls that were started on the 800 (tracked with the Apogee, mixed through a Folcrum, so the comparison was just the DA's and 2 channels of AD) - the Lynx has a slight haze that just wasn't there on the Apogee. Pretty darn close though.

I like the Lynx alot better at 88/96 than I do at 44/48.
Old 15th December 2009
Gear Nut

Two Alpha-Link AX's here.

sound good to me.

get the job done.

end of story.
Old 15th December 2009
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

Just bought my second Radar (which will leads me to some wordclock questions when I got some sleep). It's noisy, heavy, bulky, needs Tdif to Adat conversion . . but it's a quality build and it sounds great to me. - I gave it a chance but soundwise the SSL alphalink was it not -somehow flat and not 'organic'. The ua 2192 is a very pleasant sounding device to my ears as well
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gml View Post
ADA-8XR. by a mile.

George
by 2 miles thumbsup

Made ITB sound so much better.

Thanks for your recommendation !

BTW Did you compare them to the new black lion 192 mod ?
Old 21st December 2009
FFS
Gear Addict
Prism (Orpheus) unreal in my opinion!! :-)
Old 21st December 2009
Gear Addict

Using SSL Alphalink MADI AX for A/D and insert Send/Return. Apogee Mini DAC on my main monitor outs. LOVE my SSL box. Sounds super natural to my ears, and the channel count is unbeatable at the price.

Can't seem to get away from the Apogee "vibe" on my monitors though. Something just a little more "special" about it.

Got a set of outs coming from both boxes at my monitor controller that I A/B often, though. Definitely splitting hairs to hear huge differences, but this is gearslutz, right?
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertine View Post
Using SSL Alphalink MADI AX for A/D and insert Send/Return. Apogee Mini DAC on my main monitor outs. LOVE my SSL box. Sounds super natural to my ears, and the channel count is unbeatable at the price.

Can't seem to get away from the Apogee "vibe" on my monitors though. Something just a little more "special" about it.

Got a set of outs coming from both boxes at my monitor controller that I A/B often, though. Definitely splitting hairs to hear huge differences, but this is gearslutz, right?

I wish SSL would make a card or something for these to work on PT HD. I heard a PT session comparing the Apogee x series, Aurora lynx, SSL, Rosetta, and the Digi 192. The SSL won my ears. Then came the X series. Wish the Mytek 8/192 was part of the test as well. Those rock as well.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear