The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need someone to help with sound design in London
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Nut

Need someone to help with sound design in London

Building a project studio here in London and need someone to help us design and tune live drum room.
Old 16th November 2009
Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayOut View Post
Building a project studio here in London and need someone to help us design and tune live drum room.
Thats so refreshing to hear of someone wanting to record real drums near here
I live close to Suffolk university college where real drum recording is now a thing of the past.
The metal kids are all in the refectory discussing how to record real sounding drums
using triggers, samples, convolvers and impulses.
The guitards have a handy little box that plugs straight into a lap top and with the software they got off a mate on harmony central, sounds just like
all the real guitar amps in the world and thats a fact!?.
At least thats what they are being taught at college by people that have never managed to gain full time employment in proper recording studios and had to return to school after getting a degree in recording tech, taught by someone about how to get away with things using "my little pony" microphones sending to trigger samples.
And what the best presets are to use on a line six pod.
The whole basis of what I have to deal with day by day is that their mate will do the whole thing on his lappy in his bedroom and edit the drums "quantize everything in the live drum track"
and who needs a decent drum bus compressor when there is 127 velocity easily available via midi?.
OH FACK ME SIDEWAYS! Its also been a whole weekend of trying to explain to some metal guitards/music tech students! that even if there is 4000 watts of time aligned and properly room tuned JBL active concert system in the drum room, you still wont hear the vocals that much unless someone wants to turn down the guitar a little bit. Cos thats as loud as the vocals go without feed back or ringing!.
Try these guys they did my mate Pat's Gemini studio's an absolute treat:
Munro Acoustics
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Nut

Hey Thanks Mate!!

Yeah just moved here from L.A. and these guys wanna put together a decent studio to attract some up & coming and independent artists.......So ergo gonna need sumthin you can't do in ur bedroom heh? hahahaha

Sorry ta 'eer about ur frustrations man that sounded like the weekend from hell! (also sorry about really bad english accent I'm tryng to do...)-;

Hey I'm gonna ring these guys up and appreciate your help mon....(-;
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Addict

Munro are great, as are Harris-Grant, Recording Architecture, White Mark ...

I'm sure there are others that I'm missing out ...
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Nut

Hey Adrian,

Thanks had sent an inquiry over to Munro earlier today before from the last post and also had White Mark on me list.....Cheers!
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

I think what you're looking for is acoustics design; the term "sound design" usually refers to sound effects for movies these days. You should probably also post this in the Studio Construction & Acoustics forum here.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear