The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Buss compressor for rock and pop to compliment an SSL?
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Hey James!

Currently I use x2 Chandler Germanium Compressors, with the Knee set to "Silicon Hard", The wet / dry all the way up...Sometimes I'll pick "Zenar Hard"...but only if it's something I haven't mixed it seems that already feels a bit over-compressed.

I tend to keep the Germanium Gain knobs on 0-3 depending on how much I want to grit things up...and the sidechain on either 150Hz or 300Hz depending on where the bass is voiced.

Input gain set to half a dB off all the way up...and Feedback set to half a dB off all the way up. (Choking gain stages a bit reduces resolution in a good way, makes it all "glue")

Sometimes I don't link them...it depends, but sometimes slight variations on the squeeze left and right makes things feel like they're moving more...more alive I guess. This sounds incredible on anything rock and folk to me...way more interesting and soulful than any SSL VCA style bus compressor I've used.

This usually works for me...but then again I can't afford everything under the sun at the moment...I've only been public in my new location since October. =]
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

I used my c2 the other day on the mix buss and when i put it in crush mode the guitars came alive. it sounded like the whole mix went from 2d to 3d.
Old 22nd March 2010
On rock:
API 2500 glues nicely.
Chiswick Reach and Thermionic Phoenix creams nicely.
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Nut

+1 api 2500
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
I'd add the Vertigo vsc2 to whatever shortlist you compile. thumbsup

Gregory Scott - ubk
What he said!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear