The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Buss compressor for rock and pop to compliment an SSL?
Old 17th November 2009
Jai guru deva om

James, the ubk fatso is worth looking into for many reasons in treating any stereo source with character.

War
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

my dream rack!!!!!!!, i m starting to love this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
The A Designs Nail (soon to be released) is just about the best 2-bus compressor I've ever had the pleasure of using. Details you didn't even know existed are brought out in a very amazing way.
just curious if you've had the chance to use this comp in combination with the hammer. if so how was it!?!
Old 18th November 2009
ssl - manley vari-mu is a killer combo. if you get t-bar and sidechain upgrades your bass will not be overly effected, especially in limit mode. i have found the vari-mu takes a lot of kicks to the nuts in this forum. i wouldn't be caught dead in the studio without it. but 2 buss, ssl to manley generally works just about every time. sometimes i go ssl to my trakkers or a rented stc-8. the crane song gear is great for the final lift before i get to my a/d. i don't always like pushing the makeup gain on the ssl. crane song makeup gain is world class.

if you want some fat and sparkle, go manley. or if you want clean with ultra control, stc-8 or trakkers in my opinion. obviously there are other great limiters and comps out there. not all work well after an ssl due to the very obvious effects of the ssl. sometimes i will run my mix post ssl into the manley with little to no compression....perfect.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

@ tapehiss...ok, let me see, if I could only sell my house...heh
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

My Chandler Zener works great as super mojo 2-Bus compressor.

The sidechain HP-filters come in very handy, but you need to be careful with the meters: If they're starting to move at all, you're almost overdoing it already.
They're not sensitive at all.

My 2 cents.
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear
2nd on Manley/SSL

Did this ONCE on a record and it worked really well (Vari Mu on the pre-VCA patch on an SSL 4000) - never had the balls to do it again. Had a Vari Mu myself - sold it (too cloudy on an older console). SSL outboard/Smart never sounded as good as built in quad bus comp on an SSL console - wound up getting bypassed most of the time. Transformerless Compex works great-just have it on while you're building the mix. If I can find another I'd buy it in a second. Otherwise go Avalon for a transparent buss comp. Everything else is too expensive.

$.02

-jg
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Hate to say it but I have a mint C2 for sale.

Other than this there is nothing like a gml 8900
to create vital punch without smashing transients.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

If you want a Neve-ish flavour you might also want to check the Vintagedesign stuff. They have a 33609-like compressor which should be great.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Great having you here John thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngoodmanson View Post
Did this ONCE on a record and it worked really well (Vari Mu on the pre-VCA patch on an SSL 4000) - never had the balls to do it again. Had a Vari Mu myself - sold it (too cloudy on an older console). SSL outboard/Smart never sounded as good as built in quad bus comp on an SSL console - wound up getting bypassed most of the time. Transformerless Compex works great-just have it on while you're building the mix. If I can find another I'd buy it in a second. Otherwise go Avalon for a transparent buss comp. Everything else is too expensive.

$.02

-jg
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Guru

I'd add the Vertigo vsc2 to whatever shortlist you compile. thumbsup

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
We actually used my clone for a while along with an original FX384, they sounded identical.

Like I OP'ed I'm really looking for something other then an SSL buss compressor.

Interesting. I had two clones. Gyraf and a Chameleon Labs (this is a Gyraf knockoff) at one time. And neither of them had the same sound 100% or the identical internal parts as a "REAL" SSL compressor. Part for part they didn't match in my observation. Check out my photos.. The Brits use some top grade parts. SSL doesn't mess around IME.

Cool, What clone are you using? If its identical 100% to an SSL xlogic bus compressor part for part. It would be great to save another $1000 or so and buy another compressor.

Another sure win win compressor for Pop/ROCK music is the "Old version" Focusrite Red 3. Thats a great limiter. Chris Lords Alge still uses it to this day. And he is the "POP TOP 40" mixer KING! It is sad that Focusrite just don't make them anymore. But you can still find one if you got a guy who willing to let it go.

Another awesome one is the Pendulum Audio ES-8 Tube limiter. Very good! Tony Maserati uses it as well.

My favorite that I still use are the Red 3, SSL xlogic, and Inward Connections TSL-3. All three have their personalities. The TSL-3 is smooth, tubed, and just musical on the 2bus. The Red bumps the 5-8k and vocals come out alive more so than the SSL. The SSL is just a good desert bus for me. Works wonderful for any music. Love it on Hip Hop music.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Buss compressor for rock and pop to compliment an SSL?-chameleon-labs-gyraf-knockoff.jpg   Buss compressor for rock and pop to compliment an SSL?-ssl-buss12.jpg   Buss compressor for rock and pop to compliment an SSL?-ssl-buss1.jpg   Buss compressor for rock and pop to compliment an SSL?-gyraf.jpg  
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Api 2500!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MREVOL View Post
Hey DONNX, im looking at the Aurora GTC2. What did you think of it?? Cant find a lot of reviews on it. Did you sell yours and if you don't mind me asking why? Something you didn't like?

Hey Adam will call. D
Old 19th November 2009
Special Guest

SHMC

I gotta say that I've been very much digging the Shadow Hills Mastering Comp - mixing a rock record right now and it just rules.
Old 19th November 2009
A pair of Neve 2254.

Never fails to surprise me for all its uses in whatever style of music you throw at it and not necessarily for the mix buss.

Pretty much enough said.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 View Post
If you want a Neve-ish flavour you might also want to check the Vintagedesign stuff. They have a 33609-like compressor which should be great.
There isn't much talk about the Vintage Design CL1 MK2.
It's supposed to be a 2254 / 33609 like compressor, anybody tried it on the 2 buss ?
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by krid View Post
There isn't much talk about the Vintage Design CL1 MK2.
It's supposed to be a 2254 / 33609 like compressor, anybody tried it on the 2 buss ?
Great box! Definitely a contender to rack up next to a VCA box.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Major BUMP for the shadow hills mastering comp. Its so much more open and transparent (its basically two comps running into each other) and every time I plug in an SSL now I feel like my mix didn't just get glued together... it got a bucket of glue dumped on it!

Lately I've been going:

Avalon 747 (the stereo comp/EQ-- NOT the mic pre!! with NO comp but a little of that graphic eq, cause its awesome) ---------> SHMC ---------> Tube-Tech stereo multiband comp (SMC-2b)

and I'm digging it!

The Tube Tech is a great piece of gear also-- really survives the test of time. When I first got it I was sure, but as I listen to the mixes that went through in my car, around the house, on TV etc it really stood out.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Im really curious for more opinions, as Im in the market too either keep my vari mu or move on to the api 2500??? Also like the looks of the Vintage Design CL1 MK2 and aurora gtc2 but don't know.

More opinions!! Palezzzz
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Player1

I own a Manley Vari Mu and just purchased an API 2500. The 2500 is definitely more versatile, and if I had to choose between the two as a output buss master I would go with the API 2500. I use both and have moved the Vari Mu to the vocal buss. Next I will get an Alan Smart C2 and then I should be done, for a while any way!
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Great box! Definitely a contender to rack up next to a VCA box.
Does the CL1 MK2 sounds close to a 33609 JD ?
I like the fact that it has an attack control.
Old 20th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by krid View Post
Does the CL1 MK2 sounds close to a 33609 JD ?
I like the fact that it has an attack control.
Its a hybrid knock off of the 33609 and the 2254.

It uses a Diode Bridge in the gain reduction element, and its all transformer coupled with the right iron.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

And another vote for the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor that lives on my mix buss.... heh
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
A pair of Neve 2254.

Never fails to surprise me for all its uses in whatever style of music you throw at it and not necessarily for the mix buss.

Pretty much enough said.
I agree, hey Thrill, do you use the limiter at the same time as the compressor? Do you have a mod for a faster release? Is auto fast enough for you? er... sorry.....
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

we use a 33609JD into a Dramastic Audio Obsidian into a GML 8200 into a HEDD192 using just a hair of each

....always huge & relaxed whatever we're going after
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut
A pair of Retro 176s can do*things.

tranny
Old 18th January 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
CraneSong STC-8. With the SSL you have a "colorful" compressor with it's own sound, the STC-8 can be totally transparent if you like it to.

My stereo bus chain right now is: SSL900+ (sometimes with a touch of the SSL bus comp) > STC-8 > Massive Passive > API 5500 > Zener > Curve Bender. That doesn't mean everything is on at all times, but with that chain I can pretty much do everything I need to.
Dear Mr Wagener,
I'd like to know more about your chain.
Usually do you alternate between these two chains?
STC-8 > Massive Passive > API 5500
Zener > Curve Bender
Do you use SSL comp before the rest (if use it)?
Do you have some initial setting for the Bender?
Old 19th January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
I agree, hey Thrill, do you use the limiter at the same time as the compressor? Do you have a mod for a faster release? Is auto fast enough for you? er... sorry.....
I never use both together.

I use the compressor all the time and the limiter almost never. My 2254's don't have the release mod, but to be honest i've used some in the past that have it and i use it the same way. I use 800ms probably the majority of the time these days.
Old 22nd March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by transsylvan View Post
A pair of Retro 176s can do*things.

tranny
Hummmmm - I wondered about that.
In the market for a nice 2 Buss unit also.
Have 1 Retro 176 and toying with the idea of getting another.....

Also interested in some of the other options mentioned here.

What did you end up doing James?
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear