The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question regarding speakers
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac
Question regarding speakers

Hey everyone, I need help... here's my situation:

I jumped on the NS-10 wagon and had some good results at my home studio using them. I have a huge crown 300 poweramp from the 70s. Sounds relatively nice, weighs a ton.

I have heard that NS-10s are not great for tracking and are better for referencing. I am looking to sell the NS-10s and poweramp for something that is great for both tracking and mixing, which also handles a little more low end. I can always reference in the car, home stereo etc anyways. Adding a sub may not be in the budget for some time, funds are limited so Im thinking of just adding a couple hundred bucks to whatever I get for the NS-10s and poweramp.

Basically, I need suggestions as to great sounding, versatile speakers for tracking and mixing that are in the $1000-$1300 USED price range, as I think I can find something in good shape for this price. Not sure if I should keep the poweramp and swap for another set of passives, or go the active route?

How do Adam A7s, KRK V8s, Mackie HR824s and Yamaha HS80m's hold up in this kinda situation?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Old 14th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorock View Post
I have heard that NS-10s are not great for tracking and are better for referencing.
Monitors are purely a personal choice... But, there is nothing wrong with tracking, while listening on NS10's.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Well I'll throw my peach pits into the game.
I have a set of A7s and I love them. Some people say they don't have enough low end. Sometimes I wish they had more low end. But man do they sound good.
I went and A/B'd a LOT of monitors before purchasing, and the only other ones I heard that I liked as much were a set of JBLs that were a thousand EACH. But then again, mixing through a grotbox is probably your best bet.
But seriously, they're great for mixing. I mix at pretty low levels, (I turn it up when I'm trying to figure out some elements of a mix) and they're great mixing monitors.
And anyway, Mr. Belmont's right. Monitors are extremely subjective to the listener. What I love other people can't stand. We're all biological. we're not exact copies, so we all hear things a little differently.
Hope this helps.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Nut

For what it is worth I am a huge fan of the older Carver TFM series amps, lots of guts and the sound is one that I've chosen over much more costly gear. I have found that there were many good older amps that can be had for a bargin and sound better than the majority of newer stuff I've heard. But I have to agree that the sound of amps and speaks is subjective. The thing that gets me with powered speaks is you are limited in most cases by not being able to swap out amps to find the flavor that suits your ears. Good luck.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear