The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
midfield monitors to double as home theatre mains? Studio Monitors
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac
midfield monitors to double as home theatre mains?

So here's my challenge: I've got a well-treated control room (approx 20' by 26') that doubles as my home theatre. My listening position is about 12 feet back from my wall/tv and my near-fields don't cut it. I need a pair of monitors that sound good and have an expansive sweet spot that also sound good for music and movies. Wall mount or stands are fine, but I have to keep the monitors close to the back wall (not ideal, I know). I don't want to soffit-mount either. Price: under $3k.

Rather picky, non? Suggestions?
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

In my sig.
I don't go on about them much as they are not typical studio target' stuff, but your 'spec struck a familiar chord in my own search quite a while ago. Mid field, as clean, neutral, high dynamic as I could find/afford.
Unfortunately he can not crank them out like the big companies and they are quite more $ than when I got into them.
(This was formerly SPTech'
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

If you want an expansive sweet spot, I suggest finding some co-axial speakers. I have been dreaming of just that.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

want a Pair of tannoy SGM12bs? I have a pair that need new binding posts and could use new switches! Bought them to restore then I bought a Pair of quested H208s now they are just sitting here!
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Get a pair of Matrix 801 series II.
They are absolutely fantastic speakers and can be had for less than $3000 used.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac

S3a / s3x-h... With sub.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revren Jesse View Post
If you want an expansive sweet spot, I suggest finding some co-axial speakers. I have been dreaming of just that.
Thanks for the idea - I am definitely going to look into coax
Old 25th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Are there some disadvantages to using midfield/nearfield studio monitors as mains in a home theatre setup? (in my case, the room is about 12 feet wide and the listening position (couch) is about 10-12 feet away. )

Also, I was wondering, could you potentially hook up a pair of ACTIVE studio speakers to a home theatre amplifier or they would absolutely have to be passive?

thanks
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark007 View Post
Are there some disadvantages to using midfield/nearfield studio monitors as mains in a home theatre setup? (in my case, the room is about 12 feet wide and the listening position (couch) is about 10-12 feet away. )

Also, I was wondering, could you potentially hook up a pair of ACTIVE studio speakers to a home theatre amplifier or they would absolutely have to be passive?

thanks
If they have RCA inputs, or your amp has xlr output (not likely) you should be fine.

To the OP, Try out a BlueSky surround system! Not midfields, but you may be surprised.
Old 26th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post
If they have RCA inputs, or your amp has xlr output (not likely) you should be fine.

No they don't. They only have xlr balanced and 1/4 unbalanced inputs. Any way of connecting RCA cable to it?

Also, I'm still not sure: can we connect active monitors to a home theathre amplifier or the monitor would have to be passive?
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
..Also, I was wondering, could you potentially hook up a pair of ACTIVE studio speakers to a home theatre amplifier or they would absolutely have to be passive?
You can potentially do it either way. By definition 'passive means needs to be driven by a separate amp. Active speaker' have their own amp. If the integrated amplifier has a line level output that follows the main volume control, it could be used to drive an active speaker. Mostly from there would be working out levels and connections.
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
No they don't. They only have xlr balanced and 1/4 unbalanced inputs. Any way of connecting RCA cable to it?

Also, I'm still not sure: can we connect active monitors to a home theathre amplifier or the monitor would have to be passive?

You could connect active monitors to the AUX RCA output, but since your monitors don't have RCA intput you will need something that converts unbalanced RCA to balanced XLR, you may be able to find a hi-fi stereo preamp (not a mic pre) that does this. If your player has digital out, you could use a standalone DAC and bypass your amp for using active speakers.
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear
I recently opened up my home theatre receiver in an investigation to see if I could split or reroute the signal before the amplifier. Unfortunately it was not as obvious as I was hoping it would be.

It would be a great mod to bypass the amp and run the signal out to active nearfields. I looked at some of the professional options for receivers but they are super-expensive. A consumer home theatre receiver with no amplifier and 5.1 RCA or XLR outs should be cheaper than the same thing with an amp!

It mirrors my frustration that there isn't a cheap line mixer with no preamps and EQs (but with sends and busses). If I can get a 16 channel mixer with pres, EQs, and FX for $500, can't I get the same thing without those things for $400?
Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

Jbl lsr6328p

Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4-10 View Post
..It mirrors my frustration that there isn't a cheap line mixer with no preamps and EQs (but with sends and busses). If I can get a 16 channel mixer with pres, EQs, and FX for $500, can't I get the same thing without those things for $400?
Presumably economics of scale saps off sales on what would have been the $500 one, then drive both numbers up? Maybe we just pay for the extra doo dads either way. Don't really know.
Old 27th December 2009
Here for the gear

Tannoy CPA5's are wonderful for home theater for so many reasons. They are very intelligible- making even hushed conversation and vocals easily understood, and they sound nearly as good off axis some 15 feet to the sides. Of course, subs are in order....
Old 27th December 2009
Lux
Gear Maniac

I have just got my Event Opals here, and I shure they would fullfill the task. They have boundry control so I think they can be placed against a wall. I have promised a review in another thread.But shortly, - I am very impressed of this speaker. I have B&W 802 matrix also.

Lux
Old 29th December 2009
Gear Head

I also think the Opals are worth checking out. I currently have them on all round duties in my room as I have moved out my big 3 way floor standers (VAF Research Signature I-66 powered by Bel Canto 1000 mono blocks) to set up for some drum recording - which I do infrequently. Currently listening to the cricket on my TV (Australia V Pakistan).

As well as sounding great as nearfields - they sound surprisingly good from my couch about 13 feet away. Frequency range is well covered and very dynamic. Also loud!

cheers - lemongum
Old 29th December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
It would be a great mod to bypass the amp and run the signal out to active nearfields.

Old receivers used to have preamp insert jacks, with jumper pins connecting the out back to the in... further evidence that everything was better in 1977. heh

Quote:
If I can get a 16 channel mixer with pres, EQs, and FX for $500, can't I get the same thing without those things for $400?
You cannot, for at least two reasons: the stripped down version has much lower demand, necessitating a higher retail price to make it a profitable venture.

Second, manufacturing costs are not linear and they are not directly correlated to functionality. Building a blank box with a power supply, blank pcb and connectors is about 30% of your cost of goods. Labor, assembly, q.c., painting, silkscreening, documentation, and packaging are another 50%. That last 20% is parts.

If you sell a box for $500, the manufacturer probably paid roughly $100 to make it. $20 of that was parts. If you strip down the functionality, you save maybe $10 in parts and assembly. All the other costs are pretty much the same.

Since this is a cut-rate market you're talking about, and this is a bigass corporation making the products, you can bet your sweet ass their $10 parts savings will not be passed along to you, the consumer. They will assess what other products in the market are equivalent, they will assess what the market will bear pricewise, and they will charge as much as they possibly can while staying competitive.

If you want a solid 16-channel line mixer for $500, put your feelers out in the diy community. It'll be a little rough and tumble, and maybe not too pretty, but it'll work and it'll probably sound great. And you'll put $500 in the pocket of a guy who loves audio, rather than the coffers of a corporation that cares not for petty things like love. Or other humans.

Gregory Scott - ubk

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search