The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Two buss eq
Old 14th November 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 

Two buss eq

DO guys like CLA,Michael B., etc... routinely use EQ on the mix buss? I am finally mixing into a comp and I am debating an eq for the Mix buss
Old 14th November 2009
  #2
Gear Addict
 
C.Judd Karn's Avatar
 

CLA did

Chris Lord Alge had a pair of pultecs on the 2 buss to add some low end when I worked with him. Super cool and kind person by the way!

I know Michael Brauer (another cool guy too, hmm starting to see a patern) had mentioned at a past Tape Op con that he had 2 pultecs post a Neve comp for one of his "Multi-busses"

Another friend of mine who mixed the Frey and the Maroon 5 records mentioned that on one record he had a GML across the stereo Buss to "brighten up" what he was given to mix (not the maroon or Frey records).

I guess whatever it takes to get the job done.....oh, and Mark is a cool guy too, actually hilarious and a great hang!

I should try to be a cool guy, maybe my mixes will get better

Chris
Old 14th November 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 

cool info! NOw I just need a pair of Pultecs...shouldn't be too expensive right

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Judd Karn View Post
Chris Lord Alge had a pair of pultecs on the 2 buss to add some low end when I worked with him. Super cool and kind person by the way!

I know Michael Brauer (another cool guy too, hmm starting to see a patern) had mentioned at a past Tape Op con that he had 2 pultecs post a Neve comp for one of his "Multi-busses"

Another friend of mine who mixed the Frey and the Maroon 5 records mentioned that on one record he had a GML across the stereo Buss to "brighten up" what he was given to mix (not the maroon or Frey records).

I guess whatever it takes to get the job done.....oh, and Mark is a cool guy too, actually hilarious and a great hang!

I should try to be a cool guy, maybe my mixes will get better

Chris
Old 14th November 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 

just found this from the Michael B. guest mod thread

When I only mixed through the stereo buss, I put my mix through a Neve 33609 and then my Pultecs.

Now, I use them across my A buss and I tend to have backing vocals, keyboards and some reverbs sending to them.

It is true, pultecs are great in that they offer a natural sounding EQ with an open top end but there are no replacement parts and, in my opinion, they don't sound better with age if left unmaintained. They become dark in sound from the tubes dying and the caps, etc growing old and leaking.
Old 14th November 2009
  #5
Gear Addict
 
C.Judd Karn's Avatar
 

Just a GML, Sontec or Inward Connections unit

The Manley units and Mercury units are cheaper and more serviceable for sure.

Just a GML, Sontec or Inward Connections unit could be cool.

Sometimes the mix doesn't need it and I turn it off.

Pultecs are just soooooooo expensive and only help when the mix is already slamming, save your money and get something that retains your bandwidth but gives you the ability to add some thump or air on top.

Oh, the massive passive is supposed to be good too for this but I've heard folks mention they prefer it for mostly the mid bands.

Chris
Old 14th November 2009
  #6
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
cool info! NOw I just need a pair of Pultecs...shouldn't be too expensive right
there is no need to find old pultecs. the parts are almost impossible to replace. Mercury and retro(in last phase of beta) both offer great remakes. If i didn't already have original pultecs I got from Mediasound (and have spent thousands to maintain as they grew older) i'd get one of the two I mentioned.

michael brauer
Old 14th November 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 

whoa! Thanks Mr. Brauer
Old 14th November 2009
  #8
Gear Addict
 

I saw an interview with CLA and he said that most of the time he isn't doing any eqing with the Pultecs, just running the audio through them for their sound
Old 14th November 2009
  #9
Gear Addict
 
C.Judd Karn's Avatar
 

Awesome!

Again,

Michael Brauer adds to my point that cool people do the best work

Seriously, thank you for your help - we are all obviously big fans and it is great that you lend us a hand and help us with this craft.

THank you very much!

Chris

PS - I hear you and I are the only 2 people who have requested Steve Ferlotte to sign the inside of our TSL-3's!!!
Old 14th November 2009
  #10
Gear Addict
 
C.Judd Karn's Avatar
 

Mercury vrs. my Pultec Eqp

I almost forgot, I rented some Mercury eq's for a mix and took a few moments to compare it to my single Pultec Eqp.

As Mr. Brauer concurred, they are right Great Eq's!!!!
They totally did that thing that we like about the pultecs!

On my pultec I hadn't even thought about up-keep, now I'm scared

CHris
Old 17th November 2009
  #11
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Judd Karn View Post
Again,

Michael Brauer adds to my point that cool people do the best work

Seriously, thank you for your help - we are all obviously big fans and it is great that you lend us a hand and help us with this craft.

THank you very much!

Chris

PS - I hear you and I are the only 2 people who have requested Steve Ferlotte to sign the inside of our TSL-3's!!!
cool people do the best work: )~
Old 17th November 2009
  #12
Gear Maniac
 

How is the API 5500 as a mix bus EQ? Too agressive?

Would the mini massive passive be better?

Or the Portico EQ's?
Old 18th November 2009
  #13
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Judd Karn View Post
I almost forgot, I rented some Mercury eq's for a mix and took a few moments to compare it to my single Pultec Eqp.

As Mr. Brauer concurred, they are right Great Eq's!!!!
They totally did that thing that we like about the pultecs!

On my pultec I hadn't even thought about up-keep, now I'm scared

CHris
what condition are the tubes in? what kind are they? do you have a tube tester to check them every 6 months? How old are the caps etc? If the units are on all the time and in use, the tubes should be checked and replaced if they are down to 50%. I keep mine at 90% minimum and usually they are only replaced once a year. Sometimes one goes bad and it's obvious because of the crackling and popping but caps going slowly bad and tubes losing their strength are harder to detect until you replace the parts and suddenly everything sounds amazing.

An easy test is:
Run tone at 0 on the VU meter and then insert the pultec in the chain with the toggle switch in bypass and see where 1k, 100hz, 10k and 15k sit.(they should all read 0). Then activate toggle switch and see where 1k, 100hz, 10k and 15k with all eq gains set to 0 sit.

Listen for crackle, pops and hiss. at that point panic/depression should have set in at +4.

michael brauer
Old 18th November 2009
  #14
Lives for gear
 
feck's Avatar
My IBIS gets some pretty good use on the 2-buss here.
Old 19th November 2009
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Gretschman's Avatar
 

EQ

I use the Inward Connections EQ on some and the Crane Song Ibis on others .

Both work very nicely .
Old 19th November 2009
  #16
Lives for gear
 
dhiltonlittle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
My IBIS gets some pretty good use on the 2-buss here.
Old 26th February 2010
  #17
Gear Nut
 
Jamie Tate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretschman View Post
I use the Inward Connections EQ on some and the Crane Song Ibis on others .

Both work very nicely .
Last year I borrowed every EQ I could find in town and ran the same three songs through them all and blindly compared the recordings. The Inward was "best" to my ears. The Manley was my second favorite. The Inward had a nice bit of euphoric coloration and gave a nice bottom end bloom and had the best top end sheen with the least amount of EQ gain. After a year I'm still really happy I bought it.

Surprising how different all the EQs sounded. With everything flat I had to add EQ just to get some of them to sound like the input signal(!) (and not in a good way).
Old 26th February 2010
  #18
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

the A-Designs HAMMER now lives on my two bus: )~
Old 26th February 2010
  #19
More cowbell!
 
natpub's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smafdy View Post
...with everything flat I had to add EQ just to get some of them to sound like the input signal(!) (and not in a good way).
I'd be curious which units these were? :-)
Old 26th February 2010
  #20
Gear Nut
 
Jamie Tate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub View Post
I'd be curious which units these were? :-)
I don't want to out any manufacturer but it wasn't the Inward, Manley, Great River, GML, Sontec, DW Fern, Hammer or Avalon. It was based on a vintage British design (not Neve or API) so it may have been true to form. It just wasn't a good fit for me.
Old 28th February 2010
  #21
Lives for gear
 
HudHudson's Avatar
 

We are loving our new Amtec PEQs on the mix bus but are blessed to have many nice EQs that work well (ANT W696, NTI EQ3D, API 550A) when the Amtecs are being used on individual tracks.
Old 28th February 2010
  #22
AB3
Lives for gear
 

A designs Em-Peqs work nice on the 2 buss.
Old 28th February 2010
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Curve Bender. Not everybody's taste though, as per above post 20, I guess that's EQ mentioned by jamie tate?
Old 28th February 2010
  #24
Lives for gear
 

when it's not an old ITI MEP-230, I'm with Hud on a pair of ANT 696s, if i don't the aggressiveness of the ITI. Opposite directions that both work very well.
david
Old 2nd March 2010
  #25
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
A designs Em-Peqs work nice on the 2 buss.
plus one on that!
i keep a pair on two buss: )~
Old 23rd May 2010
  #26
Lives for gear
 
chet.d's Avatar
 

An updated list for your consideration
(in the 2k ballpark please, otherwise it would be Fearn, Buzz or Retro 2A3 all the way !!

(for double duty of Mix buss and tracking along with API 2500, the BAX is on the top of the list of seemingly high potential)

Dangerous BAX
Mini Passive
Tonelux Equalux
Kush Clariphonic

Although I realize it would be best for me to be able to demo the following units, it may not be possible to for my usual dealer to provide the options so any insights on the following would be much appreciated.

It seems there won't be more Clariphonics ready to go for a few months so that + minimal bass control may be an issue.
I'd add API 5500 to the list, but though the mids are very cool the top end may not be as potentially sweet as the others ?

So few Equalux opinions around? not sure why.
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear