The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sample Rate Sound Off 2009!
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Head

Sample Rate Sound Off 2009!

Had a session recently that I figured would fall under the PTHD 192k track count so I though I would give it a try. Normally not a fan of downsampling during a bounce, and find it to be kind of an unnecessary extra step. 44.1 is our standard 90% of the time, just wanted to give it a try.
I must say, it sounded pretty great. Overall a well rounded clean sound. I felt like I was actually hearing a broader frequency range. It sorta reminded me of tape without the hiss.(is that blasphemous?) Granted the music lent itself to 192/24 being a high production contemporary R&B track. Regardless of the redbook slam that this project will inevitably endure, it was a pleasant tracking session. Enjoyed it almost as much as tape... almost. Well, back to 44.1 we go.

SO... career engineers, where do most of your sessions live?

Is it project dependent, or do you stick to a constant?

And what's your thoughts on the downsample that must be?

-JB
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I'm not exactly a high end guy but I usually do things in 96.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Head

Music 96k, post production 48k.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Head

Really? at what piont do you downsample?
Old 13th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Retro City View Post
Really? at what piont do you downsample?
and why bother untill you actually have to bounce to two track?? is it for processing power?
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

The studio where I work is a house of 96 kHz. At home, I'm usually stuck at 44.1 due to converter and computer limitations. I'd love to work at 96 kHz or higher for everything. I've gotten to work at 192 and DSD a few times and love it. On a decent monitoring system I can hear the difference.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

I try to work at 96 where possible.

It's impossible to describe without resorting to clichés but my mixes come together quicker. More open, better depth etc. blah. And plug-ins do actually sound better in my opinion.
Fully in agreement with you JB that it sounds more like tape than 44/48 but without the downsides.

I'd say most (65% ish) stuff I get is still at 44 though.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Head

Yeah, most sessions brought in to us for mixing from home studios, etc... are at 44.1 for obvious reasons.

Though I do get a lot of (somewhat uneducated) people asking if were going to mix their previously recorded 44.1k session in 96k. I usually gently turn the idea down and move on.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear