The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
neve 1073 cv versus dpa
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

neve 1073 cv versus dpa

i'm looking to invest in another preamp and i've been looking at the neve 1073 cv and dpa

i currently have my focusrites in my control 24, adl 600, and two eurekas
so i'm not very diverse, nor do i have anything really good besides my adl

what is the difference between those two neves besides the dpa is missing the EQ? (i dont need an eq, or a channel strip at that. i just need a pre)

or maybe the cv is a module for something like the 5088???

is there a sound quality difference between these two?
not to mention the cost difference
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

You might not need the eq.. but you'll be glad you have it. Never compared them side by side but they are very similar.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

damn. i've used a portico but i've been looking at the 1073 for some reason. i dont know why i'm so attracted to it

BUT NOW!
i just saw rnd portico II big damn friggin channel strip on vintage king. its like $3300 or something like that. a lot more expensive than the modules and also way more power consumption (whotf cares about that though)
NOW I DONT KNOW WHAT TO GET?

i dont know which 1073! or maybe that new portico!

anyone like to shed experiense on these pres?
also which exact model?
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewenson View Post
i'm looking to invest in another preamp and i've been looking at the neve 1073 cv and dpa

i currently have my focusrites in my control 24, adl 600, and two eurekas
so i'm not very diverse, nor do i have anything really good besides my adl

what is the difference between those two neves besides the dpa is missing the EQ? (i dont need an eq, or a channel strip at that. i just need a pre)

or maybe the cv is a module for something like the 5088???

is there a sound quality difference between these two?
not to mention the cost difference
I own the Neve 1073 dpa and highly recommend it. I think it's good to have preamps without EQ, because it forces you to work more on mic position rather than EQing the signal. My recordings have become better since I reduced the amount of EQ. A lot of the material that I track with the DPA often doesn't need any EQ in a mix (or extremely little).
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear
dpa is really good by far the best clone
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=andrewenson;4774112]
BUT NOW!
i just saw rnd portico II big damn friggin channel strip on vintage king. its like $3300 or something like that. a lot more expensive than the modules and also way more power consumption (whotf cares about that though)
NOW I DONT KNOW WHAT TO GET?
QUOTE]

the portico sounds nothing like a 1073.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

i just need a really good preamp.

so i guess everyone likes the dpa?
is the best place to get it vintage king?
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewenson View Post
i just need a really good preamp.

so i guess everyone likes the dpa?
is the best place to get it vintage king?
the dpa is very good. is this your first pro preamp? if the answer is yes, i would advice you to get something else. a little more clean and flexible. 1073 is great for some things - but really blows on some sources. there are lots of myths about 1073s...they are good preamps with lots of character. but i personally could mention you 10 preamps i clearly prefer on every single source and cost half.....
Old 13th November 2009
The Neve 1073dpa doesn't have hi-pass filters on it, I call that a HUGE deal breaker. Now if you go for the 1073 10 series module you'll never look back.

Or, take a look at the Brent Averill 1073mpf, you get the meat and potatoes with this one.
Brent Averill Enterprises - 1073MPF

Or, If you wanna rack up a bunch of pres BAE has them in 10 series format (hi-pass filters also built in)....
Brent Averill Enterprises - 1004

No, I'm not a BAE salesman, I'm just trying to point out some options that might help. This is all coming from a guy who has loads of Neve 1073's and 1081's and just purchased BAE 1004's with a smile on my face

Cheers,
Mike
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

for the price of the dpa, you can get the new BAE with filters, or an aurora with eq's....

the price difference comes from the name brand, you can use the BAE and aurora which have the same sound but more functionality for the same $
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post

the price difference comes from the name brand, you can use the BAE and aurora which have the same sound but more functionality for the same $
they dont have the same sound. whats the point of getting a 1073 if it sounds slightly different. its not a neve. if you want a neve - get the real deal. or get something else (which i think makes much more sense personally).
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
the dpa is very good. is this your first pro preamp? if the answer is yes, i would advice you to get something else. a little more clean and flexible. 1073 is great for some things - but really blows on some sources. there are lots of myths about 1073s...they are good preamps with lots of character. but i personally could mention you 10 preamps i clearly prefer on every single source and cost half.....
my second pro pre i guess. i have an adl 600. which is nice in my opinion

I DONT WANT EQ'S ON MY PRE
filters are okay i guess. a compressor would be nice. but not needed

i just need a pre

i MIGHT..... be able to get a manley, so i just need a pre

this is mainly going to be used for vocals and stuff. i love my adl on acoustic guitars so i just need a good pre for vocs
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear