The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Automation filtering for better mixes
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Automation filtering for better mixes

So I was thinking... Would using an Elliptic Filter and automating the filter cutoff points to fall just below each and every fundamental of the recorded material on that specific track provide for a better mix ultimately? Maybe using a less aggressive HPF or getting closer or farther to the fundamental may be less intrusive...

Since there are always some what of unwanted anomalies in recorded material especially under the fundamentals wouldn't it theoretically sound better and provide for a better final mix to continually automate and filter out all unwanted sound below each fundamental. This goes for each and every track. From vocals, guitars to keys and bass. I think for the most part drums usually don't dramatically change pitches enough so maybe a set HPF would do just fine.

My first initial thought would be that it may give better separation to all the tracks and eventually a great mix. But it may create to much separation to where now things sound out of place.

Anyone with thoughts?

Would anyone be willing to try this out with a mix they've already done.

Just insert a good HPF and start automating each track. Just make sure to never touch the fundamental what so ever. This test should only filter out frequencies below fundamentals.
Old 12th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattski View Post

Anyone with thoughts?
Honestly?

Too much thinking.

If you want better sounding mixes start out with great songs, performed,arranged and produced exceptionally. Throw in recorded well enough and you have the backbone for a great sounding mix.

If you've noticed i said recorded well enough & not perfectly and that is because sometimes keeping the vibe in the moment contributes more to the above than stopping every 30 seconds to move mics around or changing mic pres/compressors.

Lastly not all HP filters are created equally. Some HP EQ's you definitely feel and hear the turnover freq further up in the sound.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Honestly?

Too much thinking.

If you want better sounding mixes start out with great songs, performed,arranged and produced exceptionally. Throw in recorded well enough and you have the backbone for a great sounding mix.

If you've noticed i said recorded well enough & not perfectly and that is because sometimes keeping the vibe in the moment contributes more to the above than stopping every 30 seconds to move mics around or changing mic pres/compressors.

Lastly not all HP filters are created equally. Some HP EQ's you definitely feel and hear the turnover freq further up in the sound.
To much thinking? Why is that? To much thinking led to having better and more efficient tools for all.

Well let's just say it's already a great song and it's been recorded the best that it could be. The vibe is captured!

I'm not talking about this during recording, but post.

As engineers we all have tools. It's up to us to make the best use of them all and to ultimately get the best result. Look at compressors. The original concept was to automatically control peaks and what not. Now we use them for much much more then just an automatic volume leveler.

Yes we all know that not all components are created equally. I'm talking about good gear. In this case a good plug-in.
Old 12th November 2009
I doubt all your favourite records have used this technique. I daresay someone's tried it sometime (and if not, maybe you'll be the first!) but it's not really necessary to make good sounding tracks.

I agree with thrill - you're overthinking things. Set up HPFs on the tracks that need it, and get on with mixing the music.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I doubt all your favourite records have used this technique. I daresay someone's tried it sometime (and if not, maybe you'll be the first!) but it's not really necessary to make good sounding tracks.

I agree with thrill - you're overthinking things. Set up HPFs on the tracks that need it, and get on with mixing the music.
Yeah I don't think anyone has ever done this either. But I don't think I'm over thinking. Personally I don't think I would ever do this myself. I'm just curious to see and hear if that would make any audible difference the would be beneficial to the over all mix. That's all...
Old 12th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattski View Post
Yeah I don't think anyone has ever done this either. But I don't think I'm over thinking. Personally I don't think I would ever do this myself. I'm just curious to see and hear if that would make any audible difference the would be beneficial to the over all mix. That's all...
Its been done before...trust me.

The only times i've ever really done it is in mastering, over a 2 track mix where the verses needed a different treatment than the chorus. The bottomn end needed to be tighter in the verses and a bit looser on chorus. The other would be where a single track(usually a vocal) needed a different EQ curve in different sections, but this treatment is normally more drastic than just automating an HPF.

My point about over thinking was your assumption that there are unwanted anomalies in the tracks to begin with and that an automated HPF may lead to better sounding mixes because of the separations. The whole theory of HPF anything that has nothing below the fundamental to me really has grown out of control in the era of the internet and is part of the reason most people's ITB mixes sounds so thin. If i record something in a room part of the reason i do it is because i want the size of the room to be identified with the track. If i don't want it i'll either close mic it or just record it in a different room. Also if i want better seperation in my tracks there are better ways to do it than HPF alone. If you are not getting enough separation look else where first.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear