The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Radial JDI or J48 or ?
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Radial JDI or J48 or ?

now it´s my time to ask.

i used my passive cordial di for years and i find most Instrument Inputs on Preamps very useful, but my next client told me to use Radial, cause he enjoyed the sound on his last album.

so, which way should i go? mainly for E-bass
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Head

The J48 is, of course, active and requiring 48v phantom power. It gives you plenty of signal to work with. I own the "re-amp" set which includes the X-Amp for re-amping your DI'd signal, which is handy if you use it for electric guitar. Or bass, for that matter.

I also use the JDI for live gigs. Both are stellar units, and built like a tank. Probably the last DI's you'll ever need. If you experience buzz from a ground loop, just hit the ground lift switch and your signal is dead quiet. Sweet!
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Addict

I love our JDI's! My go-to bass setup in the studio is typically through the JDI into a vintech x73i, sounds killer. I did a shoot-out with several DIs, the JDI winning. I also use them on live gigs for bass and keyboards.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

When it comes to electric basses most of the time I use the J48 for fast songs (mainly in metal) and the JDI for a fatter tone (rock, reggae...).
That said the fatness added by the tranny in the JDI is subtle, and they both could work well on every applications.

You are both good DIs and you should get both, it doesn't really matter which one you get first.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjoubaud View Post
When it comes to electric basses most of the time I use the J48 for fast songs (mainly in metal) and the JDI for a fatter tone (rock, reggae...).
That said the fatness added by the tranny in the JDI is subtle, and they both could work well on every applications.

You are both good DIs and you should get both, it doesn't really matter which one you get first.
I agree...... get both if you can. The only difference with me is I tend to settle on the 48 more often then the JDI.

But again I like them both and I think it's worth it to have both if it's no big deal for you.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Don't know the J48 but own a JDI and a JDV. I like both but prefer the JDV in most cases (e.g. with my passive Fender Jazz Bass).
Old 12th November 2009
Here for the gear

i have both the J48, JDI Countryman Type 85, and KT DN100. for what it's worth, i personally prefer the KT. to me low end is typically fuller and is alot more open than the others mentioned.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

A passive DI will interact with a passive instrument's volume and tone control circuitry, producing different (not better or worse...) results as these controls are changed.

An active DI (often with a high - 1 M ohm input impedance) will not interact with the passive circuitry.

This might lead to the generalization that a passive instrument will sound better through an active DI, and an active instrument (a bass with active pickups, vintage synth, etc.) will sound great with a simpler passive DI. As with all generalizations, both should be auditioned and the best-sounding one should be used.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I ordered the JDI a few days ago and hope to be auditioning it this weekend.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Radial JDV mk3 active direct box super DI

Best non-tube DI on the market
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear