The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tube Tech CL1B (other uses than vocals & bass)
Old 24th September 2005
Gear Addict

Tube Tech CL1B (other uses than vocals & bass)

I've read many praises about the CL1B, but they always solely mention how good it sounds when used for vocals or bass. So I've been wondering : how does it sound when used on other instruments ?

I never heard anybody mentioning using a CL1B on drums or on the drums' bus for example. Is it a no-no ? I mean does it sound that bad that nobody ever does it or what

I'm searching for a good all around compressor, so I guess the tubetech wont be the right choice, but we never know. Hopefully I'll find a way to try it out (might be difficult where I live) but for now I can't so I'd like to know what you slutz think.
Old 24th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville
I'm searching for a good all around compressor
Cranesong Trakker. It does the opto thing very well, but can go in other territories too

Of course, i wouldn't mind a CL1B either, but the Trakker was as good but more versatile, so i went for that
Old 24th September 2005
Quote:
I've read many praises about the CL1B, but they always solely mention how good it sounds when used for vocals or bass.
Those 2 along with the kick and snare are the most important elements in modern music.

If you can knock 2 of the 4 out of the box than i think you'd be...

Quote:
So I've been wondering : how does it sound when used on other instruments ?
Works pretty well with acoustics and mandolins.

Quote:

I never heard anybody mentioning using a CL1B on drums or on the drums' bus for example. Is it a no-no ? I mean does it sound that bad that nobody ever does it or what
It doesn't have enough bite for drums.

But that's why you have tons of other compressors to choose from.

Be a good slut and find one that works for you.

Quote:
I'm searching for a good all around compressor, so I guess the tubetech wont be the right choice, but we never know. Hopefully I'll find a way to try it out (might be difficult where I live) but for now I can't so I'd like to know what you slutz think.
A good all around comp that works fantastic on everything?

Sorry it doesn't exist.

A Distressor is a good tool and gets used alot on all the above but its not always the first choice.

Same goes for an 1176,DBX 160VU etc.
Old 25th September 2005
Lives for gear

It makes great distortion. Turn up the input, turn down the output. Breaks up alot better than a Summit.
Old 25th September 2005
Lives for gear

I think the Distressor (in opto mode) is a cheaper and more versatile alternative!
Old 25th September 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetener
I think the Distressor (in opto mode) is a cheaper and more versatile alternative!
This maybe so but it doesn't sound as good on vocals and bass.
Old 26th September 2005
Gear Maniac

I own a CL1b for many years (along with 1176's, TLA100, 33609, La4's ...). I really think this compressor is amazing and works well on many sources (other than just vocals and bass): guitars, trumpets, some percussions... get one, you'll be more than happy with it!
Old 27th September 2005
Gear Addict

thanks for your help.

For those who mentioned the distressor.. yes I was considering buying one. Seems like its a good choice as an "all around" comp (or at least getting close to all around). I'll see..

One more thing about the Tube Tech though. Would you say it adds a particular color ? Like does it sound creamy, silky, etc.. I know words aren't the best way to describe sounds, but it would still be helpful I guess

thanks
Old 28th September 2005
Here for the gear

i would describe it as being a really 'clean' tube sound. not silky so much as approaching thick, in a good way. i hate these words as much as any to describe it, but it's just a good firm sounding compression and sounds great when you drive it.
Old 28th September 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by fremitus
i would describe it as being a really 'clean' tube sound. not silky so much as approaching thick, in a good way. i hate these words as much as any to describe it, but it's just a good firm sounding compression and sounds great when you drive it.
It sounds this way if you don't change the tubes.

Change them out for some Mullards and you will hear words like "silky" and "creamy. "
Old 31st January 2006
Gear Addict

What tubes does it come with?

How much are a set of Mullards for it? Do you change them yourself?

Thanks,

Woods
Old 31st January 2006
Moderator emeritus

I've used 'em for horns, percussion, various electric pianos - lots of stuff.
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods
What tubes does it come with?

How much are a set of Mullards for it? Do you change them yourself?

Thanks,

Woods
Check here: http://upscaleaudio.secure-shops9.co...ory.asp?cat=44
Old 20th October 2018
Gear Head

Hello,

I just purchased the CL1B and i wanted to use it to record my drums and i want a starting point for my Toms and cymbals..im not sure witch setting will work best.

Thank you
Old 20th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reymusic View Post
Hello,

I just purchased the CL1B and i wanted to use it to record my drums and i want a starting point for my Toms and cymbals..im not sure witch setting will work best.

Thank you
Hmmm....don't want to be rude. But simply the ones which you will find sounding the best. Try it out to get to know the unit and find a setting which works for you.
Old 21st October 2018
Gear Maniac

Useful thread. I was also wondering what other uses the cl1b had other than bass and vocals. Pretty old thread also.
Old 21st October 2018
Gear Nut

Never on drum bus but I’ve used it on Snare before to get some ridiculous snap! But it stays on vocals 99% of the time for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search