The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you guys listen to music on in your car? At home? Any slutty stereo's?
Old 24th September 2005
Lives for gear

What do you guys listen to music on in your car? At home? Any slutty stereo's?

Just wondering what you guys listened to music on when you actually listen to music. I figured since this is the high end of audio engineers, you listen to music with audiophile equipment. Since most people listen to music the most in their cars, do you guys have super slutty car audio systems? Just wondering, not sure what forum category this question should be in, but I thought I'd try this one first.
Old 24th September 2005
Jai guru deva om

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...highlight=sony

I got a lot of great responses on that recently! More or less covered the home side of things.

In my car it's an in dash $199 Sony special and stock 96 Blazer speakers for me...

War
Old 24th September 2005
Lives for gear

A friend of mine found me this little CD player. It's got a full-range driver that sounds Auratone-ish, but a bit nicer. I like to listen to my mixes at home on this.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you guys listen to music on in your car? At home? Any slutty stereo's?-tubecd.jpg  
Old 25th September 2005
Lives for gear

Systems

Hey,

Home: NAD monitor series + Paradigm 40's

Car: Sony CD Head unit + Pioneer X 4 6 3/4" coaxials(not the best sonically, but in the car environment longevity counts for something) + MTX amplication with 12" sealed MTX 6000 sub

Control room: Lucid conversion, Rotel amp(300w 4 ohms), Dynaudio BM-15's

Not the most slutty environment, but not shabby either(IMHO).

Perry
Old 25th September 2005
Gear Maniac

I play my mixes in the car which has a stock stereo and also in the house off a Yamaha desktop stereo... Both otpions seem to work well for me...
Old 25th September 2005
Gear Guru

car = alpine cd (the old kind, with a couple of buttons on the front and burr browns in back), 6 x alpine separates, custom molded mtx sub, soundstream and jbl triamplification. very slutty.

home = nad components, snells, velodyne sub. also pretty slutty.

cr = jbl lsr28p's. these are my favorite of all 3 setups.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 25th September 2005
Lives for gear

Studio = PMC TB2+
Home = PMC TB2+

Kinda blows the "reference in the home theater" approach

Steve
Old 25th September 2005
mds
Lives for gear

I go through phases of car audio geekery. Kenwood head(not that great, but it was the first head unit to play MP3s...concequently, it sucks at MP3 decoding). Linear Power Amps, Infinity Sub, DEI mid woofers in front, Aura tweeters, nothing in the back. I do a lot of listing in the car(LA driving offers a lot of listening opportunity) and definitely check mixers in my controlled and highly familiar environment.

Mike
Old 25th September 2005
The home system is quite unforgiving, but basically sucks. The car system on the other hand...

Oh wait - That's not my car... My car system is reasonable at best.
Old 25th September 2005
Lives for gear

I love my home systems. One is a Nad system with Gallo Speakers. The big one is a classe audio component system with Innersound Electrostats as mains, a martin logan center, Magnepan rears, and a Linn Sizmik subwoofer. I have not heard a better system in any audio store. A few have equaled it but nothing has made me think I need to upgrade. Its similar in many ways to my adam s3a's but different enough to qualify as a seperate reference.

Frost
Old 25th September 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
A friend of mine found me this little CD player. It's got a full-range driver that sounds Auratone-ish, but a bit nicer. I like to listen to my mixes at home on this.
Wow, this is nice. Any more info, please?
Old 25th September 2005
Lives for gear

In my car its the ipod or sony discman line into the vw stock stereo.
At home arcam alpha 7se cd player into arcam alpha 8r amp into ram revolver speakers.

Sweet!
Old 25th September 2005
Lives for gear

Hey there

Home: Rotel system with B&W speakers & B&W sub
Jeep: Stock Infinity sound sytem

SparkyCanada
Old 25th September 2005
Lives for gear

If it doesn't sound good in a stock Toyota Camry system, it doesn't sound good. Not to say that that's a good system...but you've gotta translate! I test it flat, and then with +5 on the bass and treble EQ (which, I've found, is how most consumers listen.) I test my mixes on this, a PC with some old, "crappy" Yamaha computer speakers I've had for over 10 years, and an old boombox I've had for almost as long. I monitor with Event TR8s and NS-10s at home.
Old 25th September 2005
Lives for gear

Rotel at home for me too with Custom made monitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyCanada
Hey there

Home: Rotel system with B&W speakers & B&W sub
Jeep: Stock Infinity sound sytem

SparkyCanada
Old 25th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhmos
Wow, this is nice. Any more info, please?
All I know is that it says 'Trippy' on the back. The guy that builds them evidently just introduced an all-tube stereo amp for $400. I'll get the name tomorrow.
Old 26th September 2005
Gear Nut

We used to distribute AKAI in the UK and at NAMM a couple of years ago they had a weird looking hi-fi amp in the corner.. I asked them if they wanted us to try it out in the UK and they sent a sample over. When we stopped distributing, it found its way back to my place - it's 30 valve wtts & sounds pretty nice into a small pair of Kef's..

As far as I know it never made it into production

will add a pic later..

Steve
Old 26th September 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Home: B&W speakers and Moon cd player and integrated amp by Sim Audio.
Car: **** old sony tapedeck. Car stereo kept getting stolen so I gave up. Now I torture myself with the ****ty radio stations and Van Halen's 1984, which is the only tape in the car.
Old 26th September 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master
The home system is quite unforgiving, but basically sucks. The car system on the other hand...

Oh wait - That's not my car... My car system is reasonable at best.
Now that's some funny ****!!!
Old 27th September 2005
Lives for gear

I went over home system on that previous thread.
My car's not too shabby. I'm terrible with model numbers and such, but the HU is a Clarion Pro Audio something....preamp only, burr brown converters, etc....very nice sounding. 6.5" JL Audio two way components in the front, a dual JL Audio sub box in the back. I'm fairly certain the back seat doors have 5.25" JL two way's in them. All powered by a pair of MTX amps. I think the amps were in the neighborhood of 200wpc, but I could be wrong there.
It's tuned for HQ and not bass or whatever else there is out there. It's a very nice sounding system that I run flat. Mixes do translate well to that system. It does however bring out any flaws. Not to mention the flaws of listening in a car, muchless the drivers seat pushed into what's basically the corner of the space. Not ideal, but as someone said earlier...this is where most folks listen to music.
Anyway, I like this system. Sports radio has never sounded better on it.
later,
m
Old 27th September 2005
Here for the gear

Home....
Main - Rotel CD and amp, with polk floorstanding speakers....
Bedroom - 2 cheap CD players, old aiwa amp/system thing and IMF bookshelf speakers - very nice highs, less so on the lows....
Also a HMV 1940s or 30s or something radiogram....love that thing to bits.
Soon to be upgraded.... heh
Old 27th September 2005
Lives for gear

My latest car has a beautiful Bose system in it, 6 CD changer AND tape deck (to listen to my really old demos) - it's great for listening to demo mixes. I can blast it if I want without distorting - I find this listening environment usually highlights when I have too much bottom end in my mixes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search