The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone have a recipe for simulating 70s analog ADT ???
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Head

Anyone have a recipe for simulating 70s analog ADT ???

I would love to get the effect of 70s tape ADT in my pro tools recordings. The Fab Four ADT simulation sounds great but can't be used (as far as I know) on sources outside of that library. Anyone know of any software simulations that get it right? Or if anyone has a formula for recreating that effect in the digital domain I'd really appreciate any advice.
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Head

Hi,

maybe you check out this plug:

(( vacuumsound ))

Unfortunately just for vst and AU. But instant ADT sound.
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Head

Doh, I need this! So close but so far! Is there maybe a way to host a VST plug using Bidule or something and then go into pro tools? Or is there a way to convert VST or AU into RTAS? Or does anyone know of an ADT plug for RTAS??
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

I know how to do it with a regular tape machine, might work digitally, but you'd probably need some kind of outboard tape echo unit to stop it sounding too mathematical.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

It can be done pretty effectively (pardon the pun) by using a Delta Lab Effectron with some tweaking.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

It is my understanding that Chandler Limited is planning to create an ADT Plug In as part of their new software division. If memory serves me, the plan was to try to have it out by year end of this year.

Check with them - or perhaps they'll read my post and respond here.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

i've had pretty good results using the tape delay in logic. i set the delay between 23 and 40 milliseconds, but usually around 32 or so. and i cut the lows off below 250 hz or so and cut the highs off above 16k. and then mixing it in at the right level is important. you don't want it to be as loud as the original track; more like 5 to 10 db lower. you can mess with the wow and flutter parameters as well, but i find that they don't do as much as you might think for getting that sound.

i'd love to hear a chandler plug in for this though! i hope they do come out with one.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Head

Thanks much guys. Thanks for the scoop on the chandler plug PdotDdot. That's very nice of Chandler Lmtd to release an ADT plug right when I'm hankering for one! Keep the advice coming; I'd love to hear others chime in on this...
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Head

Hm, I spoke to someone at Chandler who knew nothing about an ADT plug (but she''l get back to me about it.) PdotDdot, wondering where you heard this. Was it maybe an Abbey road plug in instead?
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
Doh, I need this! So close but so far! Is there maybe a way to host a VST plug using Bidule or something and then go into pro tools? Or is there a way to convert VST or AU into RTAS? Or does anyone know of an ADT plug for RTAS??
fxpansion makes a vst to rtas "wrapper" so you can run vsts under rtas in protools.

i use it alot...works great.

100 bucks usa.

FXpansion - VST to RTAS Adapter v2.0

cheers !!

jchristopherhughes
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear