The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
First high-end pre(and some mic advice)
Old 9th November 2009
Here for the gear

First high-end pre(and some mic advice)

So..I finally decided to upgrade my digi002 for the HD2 system.
now I am looking for my main and first high end pre.

I am going to record a lot of piano so I need 2 channels to start with.looking for a versatile pre..planning to record some acoustic stuff as well as beefing up all my synths(motif,Nord stage 88 etc) and samples and VIs) for pop,dance and rock production
I am leaning toward the AMS NEVE 1073 DPD.
I think that the converters can be huge cause the digi upgrade comes with the 192 i/o and the neve converters can help me in that department.
am I thinking right?

anything else I should consider. does the DPD have DI's?(got some mixed feedback on that)

what are the cons of not having eq built in?are there any other interesting options.

are there any other common uses of pres other then tracking that eq might factor in?

also...I have a TLM-103.I need another mic for piano(and instruments in general)
i was thinking about getting another TLM-103 for piano but I see that this mic is not very liked...to say the least
shoud I just save to get a pair of 414.

I am also wondering which is more versatile and sounds good on vocals as I'll have to get a seperate mic for leads.

does the 414(and which model) sounds good on vocals?or just but one more tlm-103.
are they that bad???

Thanks
Old 9th November 2009
Jai guru deva om

You are upgrading your converters from the 002, but bypassing them with Neve's built in converters?

I don't know if that's a good investment strategy, if you choose this route I would simply keep using the SPDIF input on the 002 then.

Versatile preamps topping the list are certainly the Great River MP-2NV and Phoenix Audio DRS2 as far as your listed uses go. The MP-2NV goes from fairly clean to driven in a hard kind of way with a beefed up low end, the DRS2 goes from more clean capability (transformerless input, transformer out) to a richer more harmonically enhanced midrange sound.

War
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear