The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL Alpha Link or Lynx Aurora D/A for Summing Box
View Poll Results: Which D/As for summing box?
Lynx Aurora 16
38 Votes - 33.93%
SSL Alpha Link
74 Votes - 66.07%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by figgebass View Post
Exactly...and the latency is the problem. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. (Dang english language!! ;-))
I can not play my best when my brain says "HEY?!? What's THIS?! What I hear is behind the beat! Better speed up! OOps...now I am ahead! Back off! Oops...behind again"....;-)
When what my fingers do don't match the signals my ears send to my brain then I have a problem....
"Digidesign, here I come...."...I'm afraid...
May be too late but why not monitor from a hardware monitor controller or small mixer and bypass the software monitoring? My Native system is setup that way. no noticeable tracking latency like my HD setup.
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos View Post
May be too late but why not monitor from a hardware monitor controller or small mixer and bypass the software monitoring? My Native system is setup that way. no noticeable tracking latency like my HD setup.
Yeah that's where I had to go....Not really ideal, I'd say ,cos if I do a guitar-take and wanna use the plugins then I have to record while monitoring via my sansamp and AFTERWARDS I get to check if it wounded perfect or maybe I should play it a wee bit softer or harder in order to make the most out of the sound....But I guess people have just gotten used to compromising with everything...Pisses me off that I have to have a mixer, a sansamp and at least one compressor extra in my rack although I don't use them for anything other than monitoring....That doubled the size of my rack...
Old 23rd January 2010
Lives for gear
Hi guys!

I give a big vote for the SSL Alpha-Link. Running sixteen channels into a Vintage Design SU1 (passive mixer with Class A "Neve" line amp and transformer-balanced outputs). And it sounds great! :D

The SSL outputs are punchy, wide and musical with smooth highs. Not a single trace of digital harshness and the lowend punch is great.
My SSL is clocked to a Rosendahl masterclock which makes it sound even better, the transients clear up a little bit and the midrange depth gets deeper.

But they sound great running on internal clock as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel C View Post
Plan to run the stereo outs of the x-sum into the mytek.
* Update * Since my original post I've bought a Mytek Stereo192 ADC and it's a wonderful ADC. Almost like a straight-wire. It's better than the Alpha-Link capturing the whole mix without loosing any of the analogue feeling. I use it to record my analogue mixes and it's work very well. The Alpha-Link has very nice ADC's but they loose a bit of the analogue feel, loosing a bit of the lowend punch and midrange depth when recording a full analogue mix. The Mytek is very close to a straight wire.

But, money-wise nothing comes even close to the SSL Alpha-Link and there really isn't any trade-off regarding sound quality of the DACs, the ADC's are fine for recording instruments and such duties. The unit doesn't run hot and hasn't got a built-in fan. It got MADI, ADAT (or AES/EBU) and ProTools connections. But most of all, it got 24(!) channels of great sounding analogue inputs and outputs.

If you haven't bought a digital interface yet then do take the SSL Alpha-Link under serious consideration. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers
Fred

My Studio
Old 11th April 2010
Here for the gear

Hi,
I'm thinking of getting an RME HDSP MADI PCI with an SSL AlphaLink, I would like to know if I can use the 3 ADAT connections to run the 2 RME AD8 DS I already have and have up to 40Ch. at the same time (24 Ch. from the SSL plus 16 from RME), for summing,monitoring and run external FX.
Thanx for your help, always great readings here!

Roberto
Old 19th April 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post

I presently have a Symphony 32 + Rosetta 800, but am unhappy with the routing problems of the Rosetta.
I was wondering what kind of routing problems you were facing as i'm looking up towards a very similar set up. Thanks.
Old 19th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pristudio View Post
Hi,
I'm thinking of getting an RME HDSP MADI PCI with an SSL AlphaLink, I would like to know if I can use the 3 ADAT connections to run the 2 RME AD8 DS I already have and have up to 40Ch. at the same time (24 Ch. from the SSL plus 16 from RME), for summing,monitoring and run external FX.
Thanx for your help, always great readings here!

Roberto
out of my head irs possible (while i am not sure that the rme madi has 3 adats). The main problem if you do not use the ssl interface (madi extreme, mx-4), that you cant upgrade the firmware of your ssl box (same with lynx).
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pristudio View Post
Hi,
I'm thinking of getting an RME HDSP MADI PCI with an SSL AlphaLink, I would like to know if I can use the 3 ADAT connections to run the 2 RME AD8 DS I already have and have up to 40Ch.
You should check with Jim at SSL, he will sort out the connectivity for you. I'm just using the ADATs. Another scenario would be for you to sell the ADI8-DS interfaces and buy two Alpha-Links and run them via MADI.

A couple of months down the road with the Alpha-Link, I'm still very happy with it. And the RME RayDAT PCIe soundcard performs great in Windows 7 64bit. The setup is rock-solid.

Cheers
Frederick

My Studio
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenzMusic View Post
I was wondering what kind of routing problems you were facing as i'm looking up towards a very similar set up. Thanks.
No possibility to go AES out and back in (to a Bricasti in my case). Having to go analoge (and thus 4 conversions) to a digital reverb.
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

Does SSL Alpha Link uses the same converter that is in SSL Alpha Channel, or is Alpha Link much better?
Old 22nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
No possibility to go AES out and back in (to a Bricasti in my case). Having to go analoge (and thus 4 conversions) to a digital reverb.
bump.
Old 13th October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy View Post
* Update * Since my original post I've bought a Mytek Stereo192 ADC and it's a wonderful ADC. Almost like a straight-wire. It's better than the Alpha-Link capturing the whole mix without loosing any of the analogue feeling. I use it to record my analogue mixes and it's work very well. The Alpha-Link has very nice ADC's but they loose a bit of the analogue feel, loosing a bit of the lowend punch and midrange depth when recording a full analogue mix. The Mytek is very close to a straight wire.

Cheers
Fred

My Studio
Hey Fred!

Thanks for the update!

Awesome work on 'Where would we be today' and 'Falling' !

May I ask what was the chain?

Which mic / tracking comp / ADs / plugins / -> Alpha Link DAs -> Summing ?

Great arrangements and song writing btw.
Old 13th October 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel C View Post
May I ask what was the chain?

Which mic / tracking comp / ADs / plugins / -> Alpha Link DAs -> Summing ?

Great arrangements and song writing btw.
Hi Joel! Thanks!

Well, both songs are a couple of years old.

"Falling" was actually mixed in the box (with a real Fairchild 670 as master compressor). ProTools converters. The vocal chain was probably an old Neumann U67 tube mic into an old Urei 1176.

"Where Would We Be Today" was mixed in an old transformer balanced Swedish broadcast mixer from the late 70ies (lots of colour). The DACs was eight channels of Lucid 88192 and RME Fireface 800 recorded into a Prism AD124. The vocal chain was a Neumann U87 (with a gradual high-cut above 10kHz due to lack of maintenance) into a Focusrite ISA115HD micpre with EQ (adding lots of treble), UAudio 1176 as tracking comp, recorded into the Prism AD124. Lots of UAD plug-ins in the mix.

So both songs was done before I got the SSL Alpha-Link.

IMHO, nothing comes close to the Alpha-Link price-wise / performace. You will get very far with it and if you combine it with a really good ADC to record the mixes, you're pretty much set.

Cheers
Fred
Old 13th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy View Post
Hi Joel! Thanks!

Well, both songs are a couple of years old.

"Falling" was actually mixed in the box (with a real Fairchild 670 as master compressor). ProTools converters. The vocal chain was probably an old Neumann U67 tube mic into an old Urei 1176.

"Where Would We Be Today" was mixed in an old transformer balanced Swedish broadcast mixer from the late 70ies (lots of colour). The DACs was eight channels of Lucid 88192 and RME Fireface 800 recorded into a Prism AD124. The vocal chain was a Neumann U87 (with a gradual high-cut above 10kHz due to lack of maintenance) into a Focusrite ISA115HD micpre with EQ (adding lots of treble), UAudio 1176 as tracking comp, recorded into the Prism AD124. Lots of UAD plug-ins in the mix.

So both songs was done before I got the SSL Alpha-Link.

IMHO, nothing comes close to the Alpha-Link price-wise / performace. You will get very far with it and if you combine it with a really good ADC to record the mixes, you're pretty much set.

Cheers
Fred

Awesome indeed, great sound!
Old 18th October 2010
Gear Head

My set are

Macpro 2,8Ghz, OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.0
SSL Alphalink Madi AX x2
MadiXtreme 128, V.1.2 (latest)
Logic 9.0.0
RME Alva Madi cable

I set the system preference on mac to "MadiXtreme1", set them on Logic as well. MadiXtreme preference has indicate the "LOCKED", already on "MADI A" so i think the cable is ok, and the Clock set is "MADI A".

On MADI AX : In & Out "MADI", SR : 48K as in Logic, Clock "INT", Meter : "DA"

I dont see any signal on Logic's input. I used proper DB25 for In and Out, a mic at Input and direct speaker monitor at Output.

There is signal on Alphalink Madi AX green indicator while testing the mic at "AD" and there's a sound as well at speaker, But, no inputs signal or output signal on Logic. And when i play tracks directly from iTunes, it has no sound also.

Anyone?
Old 18th October 2010
pan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioshark View Post
There is signal on Alphalink Madi AX green indicator while testing the mic at "AD" and there's a sound as well at speaker, But, no inputs signal or output signal on Logic. And when i play tracks directly from iTunes, it has no sound also.

Anyone?
Looks like you have not assigned the MadiXtreme in Core Audio.
Old 18th October 2010
Gear Head

thx pan,

but like i said :

"I set the system preference on mac to "MadiXtreme1", set them on Logic as well. MadiXtreme preference has indicate the "LOCKED", already on "MADI A" so i think the cable is ok, and the Clock set is "MADI A"."

So already set at 3 points : core audio, MadiXtreme preference and Logic itself.

well, right now im trying to update the latest for OSX and the Logic.

Anymore?
Old 19th October 2010
Gear Head

They are pretty quick! +1.
i share my dumbness with you guys :

Dear Abim,

This is probably because the routing of the Alpha-Link is not up set correctly.

You wrote: "On MADI AX : In & Out "MADI", ".

If you see the MADI In LED and MADI Out LED lit at the same time, the routing is incorrect.

You need ANA In going to MADI Out for recording, and you need MADI In going to ANA Out for playback. You also need to make sure MADI is not going to ADAT Out, otherwise the first 24 MADI channels will end up on the ADAT outputs and you will not hear them if yo only use Analogue.

Please try this:

Alpha-Link MADI-AX connected to MADI DAW:

A) Routing ANA In to MADI Out (for recording)

1) Press the OUTPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the MADI Output LED is lit. Then hold down the OUTPUT button.
2) While holding down the OUTPUT button, press the INPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the ANA Input LED *only* is lit (the ADAT input LED should be off).
3) Release the buttons. ANA In is now routed to MADI Out.

B) Routing MADI In to ANA Out (for playback)

1) Press the OUTPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the ANA Output LED is lit. Then hold down the OUTPUT button.
2) While holding down the OUTPUT button, press the INPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the MADI Input LED is lit.
3) Release the buttons. MADI In is now routed to ANA Out.

C) Making sure MADI In is not going to ADAT Out.

1) Press the OUTPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the ADAT Output LED is lit. Then hold down the OUTPUT button.
2) While holding down the OUTPUT button, press the INPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until all the Input LEDs are off.
3) Release the buttons. You can now be sure that MADI channels 1-24 are not going to the ADAT Outputs instead of the ANA Outputs.

Best regards,

SSL Service.

Hope this helps guys,
cheers
Old 19th October 2010
Deleted 8456dd3
Ive had my Alphalink SX for some time now and am really happy with it, im using it with a MadiXtreeme 128 card, i have them clocked via BNC the Alphalink as the master.
When im playing back audio in Cubase everything sounds great, but when i playback a movie in quicktime, im having lots of pops and glitches in the audio. Windows media player is fine, no probs...

Can anyone running a PC with an Alphalink check see if they are having a problem playing back audio inside quicktime? Would appreciate it.. thanks.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear