The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I demand a UA 610 console!!! Single-Channel Preamps
Old 13th January 2012
Gear Nut

I went looking for a mic pre designed around the 6SN7 tube and found this:

Products

I emailed Ian and he just delivered a 6 channel custom console to someone here in the States. If you are ready to buy, he's ready to build it for you.
Old 13th January 2012
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
My wife and I were talking about this today. Prior to MIDI pianos and all other instruments were tuned differently than has become common and nothing but film scores were ever recorded to a click.

A piano's fundamental was tuned flat from middle C as you went down the keyboard and sharp as you moved up. The amount was dictated by the overtone alignment of the particular instrument. The other players and singers tuned their overtones to those of the piano and bent notes by ear to sound right. Nobody used tuners. Headphones interfere immensely with adjusting pitch by ear. Tempo normally changed during a song according to the emotional requirements of the singer and the music.

All of this makes a massively bigger difference than the recording gear being employed.
Emotion in music? ...that's so 1972 dude.

C'mon Bob... its common knowledge that unless to cut the drums to a grid and lock the guitars [at least 16 tracks of 'um] on there with "elastic audio"... and then auto-tune the vocals to be perfect there is no way in hell you'll get anywhere.

Bro - look at the winning formula - aren't you up on the latest epic classics from SeagramsVivendiWarner records? BTW - they were all recorded with tube mics because its not warm unless you use tubes... and seriously - don't forget to use all the warm / tube analog gear plugins [and a Neve clone] or the whole project is screwed!!

Peace
Old 13th October 2014
Gear Maniac

A lot has happened in two years. Tree Audio has the Roots console, and Vintage King has this:
Universal Audio 610 Custom Console (Vintage) - Vintage King Audio
Old 13th October 2014
Lives for gear

VK's UA 610 console is 160K fyi
Old 13th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigfrog View Post
VK's UA 610 console is 160K fyi
If that's true, it's an absolutely ridiculous sum, priced NOT for the audio professional but for the rich collector (who won't use it, btw), as any pro knows he can buy an entire world-class studio for such amount.

But this is how the market is moving right now. It's no longer professionals driving the industry, but rather doctors, lawyers and IT guys who made quite some money.

VK did around $35 million last year selling their stuff to these guys (plus to a few rich artists, that built their home studios rather than book pro rooms)
Old 13th October 2014
faaaaak. but console sounds great tho. I would build the same for 16k but my personal opinion is worthless here even i'm the best in what I do. One of hollywood studios can get it.
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

I want Neil Young to donate to me his UA wally Heider mobile console !

FYI - that VK console - 6 of those UA 610 pre's were made by Steve Firlotte - maybe he can help you!
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bopkit View Post
that was the UA console that provided the preamps for the desk that superseded it in the 80s. i worked there seconding from 89-92. i did a number pf projects and sessions in the room over the years subsequently.

the 610 pre's were racked as outboard when the desk was replaced with a Neve by a new owner (Wozniak), and now another new owner (Rob Darch) has an SSL installed. the Neve and all the original Mushroom equipment was kept by Wozniak. i tracked some drums there a few months ago and the room still sounds great. it's a cryin' shame all the original gear was taken from the place though..
Those weren't 610's. They were tray amps that came from the original United Recording Studio A console (Oceanway)
Old 22nd October 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigfrog View Post
I want Neil Young to donate to me his UA wally Heider mobile console !

FYI - that VK console - 6 of those UA 610 pre's were made by Steve Firlotte - maybe he can help you!
Good point. Firlotte has a much better deal going with Tree Audio. 8 tube channels with a solid state summing bus at around $25K. treeaudio.com is his site.
Old 22nd October 2014
Gear Maniac

Does anyone know if the original 610 console used tube or solid state summing?
Old 24th October 2014
Lives for gear

Tube
Old 11th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
you know, inward connections makes a console very similar to what your asking for, but it comes with optional eqs and comps too.
Sorry for the bump but can you post a link? For the life of me I cant find a thing on he old innnnernets. Are you referring to tree audio? Thx
Old 11th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml designs View Post
Sorry for the bump but can you post a link? For the life of me I cant find a thing on he old innnnernets. Are you referring to tree audio? Thx
here you go
Attached Thumbnails
I demand a UA 610 console!!!-mp820_clarence-jey.jpg  
Old 13th February 2017
Gear Guru
I'd heard the main difference in the reissues was the transformer. Would it make any sense to swap that out, and what with? I have a Solo 610 and love the sound but it's the only good preamp I've owned so no expert here!
Old 14th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
I'd heard the main difference in the reissues was the transformer. Would it make any sense to swap that out, and what with? I have a Solo 610 and love the sound but it's the only good preamp I've owned so no expert here!
+1.

It's 8 years since this thread commenced, have we gotten any closer to a reissue of the ORIGINAL 610 style preamp?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search