The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Urei 1178
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noise Commander View Post
I get a Urei 1178 in silver from a friend, he want 2000$.
Good price?
Is this thing sound-wise as good or better as a Purple Audio MC 77?

And the main question...if it is broken...can it be repaired?? Where? Does it have any parts that can not be replaced without problems?

Does it have a switch to chose from 115 V and 230V (Europe)?

Thanks!!!!
In my world $2000 for a possibly broken 1178 is about $1000 too much.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
The Distressor has a Tubescreamer kind of sound to my ears. I modded mine and that sound is gone. Now they rule!

I am interested in a 1178. Any of you guys have thoughts on a 1178 compared to a 160vu? Thoughts on differences and similarities. I have used plenty of 1176's and dbx units. I just haven't ever used a 1178.
You modded your Distressors? What, some opamp swaps or deeper things?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Distressor has a Tubescreamer kind of sound to my ears. I modded mine and that sound is gone. Now they rule!

I am interested in a 1178. Any of you guys have thoughts on a 1178 compared to a 160vu? Thoughts on differences and similarities. I have used plenty of 1176's and dbx units. I just haven't ever used a 1178.
1178 is nothing like a 160 VU.
It is much faster and more aggressive.
Less subtle and more grabby.
Cool on bass, drums, vocals, guitars.....
Very versatile.

If you like Urei 1176's you will like the 1178.
They are very similar.
I have a D, an F and an 1178.
I did a shootout with them and was kind of surprised at how similar they sound.
I am not saying they sound the same, there are differences, but they are very similar in their compression action and general vibe.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Very different units. The 1178 has its own action with a very hard (but pleasing) knee. It pushes vocals forwards in a mix and doesn’t kill the tops. If you don’t hipass a vocal before sending it through the 1178, it will pull the bass in, in a really pleasing way.
The 160vu also has a very hard knee but is more old school sounding. Very very different sounds. The 160vu does this thing where it kills the deep lows in a very very pleasing way. If the 1178 brings sibilance forwards occasionally, the 160vu kills them.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
You modded your Distressors? What, some opamp swaps or deeper things?
I believe it's a mod @ Jim Williams does. He's spoken about it around these parts somewhere.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search