The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
advise with STT-1 Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1st November 2009
Gear Nut

advise with STT-1

STT-1 is my first "high end" pre, unfortunately I have hard time getting it to give me "high end" results... The problems I have are these, the sound in general seems distant, like singer seems not in front of the mic even tough he is.. also the solid state gain is kind of weak.. I find myself maxing out the gain to drive my AD8000 properly. And when using tube gain instead of SS the overdrive light starts to glow rather easily. Also I have hard time getting the compressor work for me.. it seems rather hard to get a control over the dynamics with the thing.. compressor in general feels slow and chokes rather easily. To have any kind of pleasent results I must have release at fastest and ratio at smallest settings but still I don't feel that I'm controlling the situation. My previous main vocal chain was ART MPA into original DBX 160, after struggling with the STT-1 I gave gave up as artist also started getting nervous and I patched the mic (old U87) back into the original chain and voila, vocals back in-your-face and under control.
I bought the STT-1 used, does it sound like I am describing a working unit or may I have a problem with mine?
Old 2nd November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
The problems I have are these, the sound in general seems distant, like singer seems not in front of the mic even tough he is.. also the solid state gain is kind of weak.. I find myself maxing out the gain to drive my AD8000 properly. And when using tube gain instead of SS the overdrive light starts to glow rather easily. Also I have hard time getting the compressor work for me.. it seems rather hard to get a control over the dynamics with the thing.. compressor in general feels slow and chokes rather easily. To have any kind of pleasent results I must have release at fastest and ratio at smallest settings but still I don't feel that I'm controlling the situation. My previous main vocal chain was ART MPA into original DBX 160, after struggling with the STT-1 I gave gave up as artist also started getting nervous and I patched the mic (old U87) back into the original chain and voila, vocals back in-your-face and under control.
I bought the STT-1 used, does it sound like I am describing a working unit or may I have a problem with mine?
Something is definitely wrong somewhere... There's no possible way an ART MPA will sound better than a STT-1 in any normal scenario.
Old 2nd November 2009
Lives for gear

do you have the same problem with both outputs (monolithic and Class A)
Old 2nd November 2009
Gear Nut

hi, what is the difference with the outputs?

I might be freaking out too soon and maybe I just need more time with the unit, but I honestly did hope it would just work... like the ART pre just did btw, it's been great on most of the things I've used it on. Or maybe it just did not fit the talent's voice. Still the compressor was also funny when I first tried the unit out with my own voice you know.. check-one-two :o) Or maybe I just like my 160 that much better...
Old 2nd November 2009
You should be getting very full range and detailed sound, as good as anything in the hi end out there. I've used STT-1s for years for tracking, mixing, and mastering. There is definitely something wrong if things don't sound normal, so I wouldn't worry as any piece of gear is fixable and you'll eventually narrow it down to the problem.
Old 2nd November 2009

Quote:
hi, what is the difference with the outputs?

I might be freaking out too soon and maybe I just need more time with the unit, but I honestly did hope it would just work... like the ART pre just did btw, it's been great on most of the things I've used it on. Or maybe it just did not fit the talent's voice. Still the compressor was also funny when I first tried the unit out with my own voice you know.. check-one-two :o) Or maybe I just like my 160 that much better...
Don't look at the meter when using this compressor....
Old 2nd November 2009
Gear Addict

I have a STT-1. None of the problems you say.
This is a very clean front end so if you are use to listening to a distorted pre or comp this might seem not very colored.
Larry
Old 2nd November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Arts View Post
I have a STT-1. None of the problems you say.
This is a very clean front end so if you are use to listening to a distorted pre or comp this might seem not very colored.
Larry
I was thinking the same btw.
Old 2nd November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Don't look at the meter when using this compressor....
The pre aside, isn't the comp kind of easily choking kind, no?
Old 2nd November 2009
Lives for gear

the compressor in tube can seem slow to some who are more used to a vca design, but choking I would not say so, I have had mine for years and you can have ALOT of reduction without really "hearing" it I always use it when recording those who can really belt it out.
Old 3rd November 2009
Lives for gear

I don't think your unit is broken.
The comp chokes very easily, more than 2:1 and 1-2db GR on the meter don't work for me, either. But it's actually doing a lot more than the meter shows. I find it's the most difficult to adjust compressor I've got.

The pres are top notch, but don't provide that much gain. Simply calibrate your converter differently if it's not enough.

But the sound should be fine. That unit is great, but the compressor is not really very versatile, IMO.
Old 3rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
STT-1 is my first "high end" pre, unfortunately I have hard time getting it to give me "high end" results... The problems I have are these, the sound in general seems distant, like singer seems not in front of the mic even tough he is.. also the solid state gain is kind of weak.. I find myself maxing out the gain to drive my AD8000 properly. And when using tube gain instead of SS the overdrive light starts to glow rather easily. Also I have hard time getting the compressor work for me.. it seems rather hard to get a control over the dynamics with the thing.. compressor in general feels slow and chokes rather easily. To have any kind of pleasent results I must have release at fastest and ratio at smallest settings but still I don't feel that I'm controlling the situation. My previous main vocal chain was ART MPA into original DBX 160, after struggling with the STT-1 I gave gave up as artist also started getting nervous and I patched the mic (old U87) back into the original chain and voila, vocals back in-your-face and under control.
It might be a silly question, but how hot are you running the master output from the STT-1? I can't remember having the kinds of problems you describe , but I've sometimes found I have to run the output pretty hot in order to get a decent signal without overloading the inputs. Master output all the way to the right is not unusual sometimes.... My PT system is calibrated -18dBFS = 0VU.

BTW, it would be nice if all VU-meters had a "disable" button. It's easy to be fooled by meters instead of relying on your ears. Another thing is, meters can become uncalibrated, even on an high-end piece like the STT-1.

Stein Tore
Old 4th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
I don't think your unit is broken.
The comp chokes very easily, more than 2:1 and 1-2db GR on the meter don't work for me, either. But it's actually doing a lot more than the meter shows. I find it's the most difficult to adjust compressor I've got.

The pres are top notch, but don't provide that much gain. Simply calibrate your converter differently if it's not enough.

But the sound should be fine. That unit is great, but the compressor is not really very versatile, IMO.
nice to hear there is someone with similar experience and my unit is not broken thumbsup
Old 4th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by steins View Post
It might be a silly question, but how hot are you running the master output from the STT-1? I can't remember having the kinds of problems you describe , but I've sometimes found I have to run the output pretty hot in order to get a decent signal without overloading the inputs. Master output all the way to the right is not unusual sometimes.... My PT system is calibrated -18dBFS = 0VU.

BTW, it would be nice if all VU-meters had a "disable" button. It's easy to be fooled by meters instead of relying on your ears. Another thing is, meters can become uncalibrated, even on an high-end piece like the STT-1.

Stein Tore
I was running the output at unity, not maxed. I'm positive I need to play a lot more with the box and experiment. Would be cool if we could turn off the overload led and the VU as well.. I'm afraid I'm going to break the needle in notime
Old 4th November 2009
Gear Addict

This unit is really a blessing in disguise.
If you push it into the red you are chopping off the attack and dynamics. VERY BAD!
This set of comps are some of the best because it makes you reconsider what you are really after. I'm often tempted to listen to a comp or maybe two and get all fuzzy. First thing I know I've left that BS in the actual mix.

Play with the STT 1 "IN THE MIX" and you might be surprised at the bang for the buck this unit offers.

I was considering getting rid of mine so I gave it shot to make sure and now it's back at the top of the list.

By the way mines not for sell anymore.

WE really should be more conscious about what we have and how to use it instead of what's next.

Larry
Old 5th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
I gave gave up as artist also started getting nervous and I patched the mic (old U87) back into the original chain and voila, vocals back in-your-face and under control.
Not a broken unit IMO, the gain structure takes some getting used to. You gotta crank it, it's okay.

I find the Millennia preamps to be indispensable as a color (or should I say 'un-color'?) on the pallet; a nice full-frequencied, transient-intact, transformerless design is perfect for lots of stuff... Great with ribbons for heavy guitars, awesome for drum overheads with 451s / 460s / KM84s / Schoeps / whatever, perfect hi-fi acoustic guitars and pianos, that sort of thing. AND! The Millennia is TOTALLY the secret SM57 weapon. All that EQ you always want to do to a 57 on a snare or electric guitar? Done. Moving on...

It's the rare occasion I'll use it for vocals though - it grabs a lot of information. A LOT. It's brutally honest about your microphone, your performer and their performance, and that's often the place the insecurities are worst.

The 'in-your-face' vocal compression you describe probably shouldn't even be attempted with the STT-1, IMO. It's a tricky interface to use if you just want to slow something down a little, let alone beat it up. It's great for grabbing a dB or two from piano transients or little pieces of a bite-y acoustic guitar, or for shaving a snare drum a hair at a low ratio.

Plus, your gain reduction setup for vocals is pretty cool. That ART box gets sneered at a lot, unfairly I think.

I like to smash vocals on the way in too; singers just dig it, and I've done it enough to know where my line is, in terms of 'enough' v. 'too much / I wrecked it'. For that, I'd choose the 87 > STT-1, tube side, XFMR to taste, EQ to taste > ART set fast, grabbing big peaks only > dbx 160 at around 4:1, doing the heavy lifting.

The EQ section of the STT-1 is pretty boss. Low-mids are gorgeous on the tube side, the highs are pristine on the SS side and slightly smeary / awesome on the tube side.

But yeah, using that compressor to smash rock vocals is like chopping your firewood for the winter with an X-Acto knife.
Old 5th November 2009
Lives for gear

based on my 8-10 x's using this channel on vocals, i found that the solid stage mode was never beating out the tube mode.it's just thin and lack luster where the tube has great extension and lows. the comp is very tricky and as mentioned, don't trust the GR meter. i found that the ratio is often where the potential problems lie. the higher ratios really tend to get more grabby than some other comps set to say 4 or 5:1 so while tracking i found i was usually 2 3:1 tops.

eq is excellent.
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

Guys, I recently got an STT1 to be my transparent pre for Voice Over.

Pre structure gain is tricky, but I'm finding myself struggling with the Compressor as well. It's not fast enough, it's choking and not sounding transparent at all. In terms of speed, veeeery different from my MC77 I have for more than a decade, I know. But I definitely hear the STT1 compressor mushing.

With the STT1 I just want to catch loud peaks to avoid convertor clip.
Not looking for coloration. Is there any setting tips to start with?
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonauta View Post
Guys, I recently got an STT1 to be my transparent pre for Voice Over.

Pre structure gain is tricky, but I'm finding myself struggling with the Compressor as well. It's not fast enough, it's choking and not sounding transparent at all. In terms of speed, veeeery different from my MC77 I have for more than a decade, I know. But I definitely hear the STT1 compressor mushing.

With the STT1 I just want to catch loud peaks to avoid convertor clip.
Not looking for coloration. Is there any setting tips to start with?
Ok... I had the chance to do a few tests based on some tips here to the OP.

Changed the calibration on my Apollo16 to -10 = Gain resolved.

Before, I was trying to track using 4:1 or 6:1 like I use to do as minimum on other compressors.
STT1 seems to compress a LOT already from 3:1.
So I tried it on 2:1. And I felt it more transparent and working as it should for the first time.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search