The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Not a digital guy. Condenser Microphones
Old 21st September 2005
Gear Maniac

Not a digital guy.

Soundelux e47c arrived today and an E47 is arriving tomorrow.
I want to do a side by side compare. I’ll pick the one I like send the other back.
(I can have the mike for a week, maybe two.)

I’m just getting back into this after 16 years of designing new electronic
products for various industries. (Hardware & Software)
I’m not up on all the digital side of this. Yes technically I understand, but I don’t have the “sonic” experience with digital stuff yet and I don’t believe everything I read.

I have a great selection of mic pres available and plan on doing
tests using vocals, acoustic guitar, and a Yamaha C6.

Question: 1
I plan on running one of the pres to an Apogee 16x.
Can I get away with using firewire card out of Apogee to Computer?
Or would I be better off using either optical, or AES out of Apogee?

Question 2
(Again due to lack of experience, always went to tape before.)
I have Nuendo, Cubase SX, or Sound Forge, available on the computer.
Any preferred over the other for this test? Or is this concern irrelevant?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 22nd September 2005
More cowbell!

1. A PCI solution (such as the AES you mention) can be more stable and faster than the firewire, but overall you should be fine.

2. From the selections you mention, I really wouldnt worry about it, though I would go with whichever version is the "newest," due to upgrades like delay compensation, and some possible sum buss improvements.
Old 22nd September 2005

So you have the mics already, but don't have your computer setup yet?

Don't be in such a rush to spend your money. You should get you're computer running solidly and get accustomed to the programs you will be recording with first. I think it's great your getting back into recording. I would just hate to see you spend all the time you have to audition these mics working out the bugs on your DAW...
Old 22nd September 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub
1. A PCI solution (such as the AES you mention) can be more stable and faster than the firewire, but overall you should be fine.

2. From the selections you mention, I really wouldnt worry about it, though I would go with whichever version is the "newest," due to upgrades like delay compensation, and some possible sum buss improvements.
Thanks for comments. AES with Cubase SX3 which is the newest
version.
Old 22nd September 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
So you have the mics already, but don't have your computer setup yet?

Don't be in such a rush to spend your money. You should get you're computer running solidly and get accustomed to the programs you will be recording with first. I think it's great your getting back into recording. I would just hate to see you spend all the time you have to audition these mics working out the bugs on your DAW...
Well you got this one right!

I didn't know I would be put in a position of needing to act so quickly.
(The new change to the e47c threw me. I only thought I was getting an E47.
And didn’t plan on this “testing”.

I am setting up a small studio to get me moving forward while the “real”
studio is being designed from the ground up. (Best guess around 1200-1400 square feet.)
(New construction, from my past construction is never on time.) Didn’t want to just set and wait for construction to get done.

I’m not in love with the idea all my tracks going on a PC.

I have some time, but for the “real” studio I have to decide
if its more of a AWS900 thing, or a D-control thing.
I’m leaning more toward AWS900 but want to make sure
that’s not just because it seems more familiar.

(I’ve been reading gearslutz from about 5 months now and it
seems like a group of really good people.)

I really thank you for you straight forward response.
This is helpful, and a good reminder.
Old 22nd September 2005
Gear Guru

i will second the importance of having time to acquaint yourself with the daw. i worked with cubase for 3 years, and it *still* took me two weeks to learn to do basic tracking when i switched to dp. if you've never used a daw or set one up, you will need a generous amount of time to get up and running with the most basic of tasks.

do you have tape? or, could you just rent a day in a local joint and use their facilities to test your gear? or, have someone who knows daws come in to your room and get things going?

gregoire
del ubik
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

Sounds like you have the money to spend – check out http://www.izcorp.com/mainframe.asp - you will feel more at home. Cubase etc is just a said story for the eye and hand, you will stare at the GUI while the guitar gently weep. You will feel no inspiration, endless searching in grey menus and small dots that can change colors if you press them etc.

Old 22nd September 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
i will second the importance of having time to acquaint yourself with the daw. i worked with cubase for 3 years, and it *still* took me two weeks to learn to do basic tracking when i switched to dp. if you've never used a daw or set one up, you will need a generous amount of time to get up and running with the most basic of tasks.

do you have tape? or, could you just rent a day in a local joint and use their facilities to test your gear? or, have someone who knows daws come in to your room and get things going?

gregoire
del ubik
I have a mint Tascam 38 with external DBX boxes. And a couple dat machines
that I had used for some voice overs. All the good stuff is gone.
(Strange how these machines never entered my mind as a possible solution.)

The local dealer (1.5 hour drive each way) could be a solution as well.

Suffering from tunnel vision!
Old 22nd September 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim light
Sounds like you have the money to spend – check out http://www.izcorp.com/mainframe.asp - you will feel more at home. Cubase etc is just a said story for the eye and hand, you will stare at the GUI while the guitar gently weep. You will feel no inspiration, endless searching in grey menus and small dots that can change colors if you press them etc.

I have planned and have worked towords this for over 10 years. I am very fortunate, yes I am finally going
to build my "dream" studio.

The radar is something that I am seriously considering.
But I am getting mixed messages on rather Radar is a "long term" solution or not.

Sounds like you're familiar this this type of "transition" from board to screen.

It feels like someone moved the keys around on my keyboard, (I touch type).
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

Yes computer with endless possibilities can really slow you down. Keep it simple and pure.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search