The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sync Nightmares Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 21st September 2005
Lives for gear

Sync Nightmares

Hi All,

A little wisdom needed please. I am trying to track a 2" multi into ProTools plus a Slave Reel onto One mix Rig.

Now I have My Lynx (no manual.. of course) and my ProTools sync'd to Video Ref, House Sync.

Because I only have 24 ins on the ProTools I was thinking "easy, ill just do two passes" but for some reason I am sounding miles out, (200ms!!).
Having spent an evening on this, if I clock my ProTools to LTC it works but this is not an ideal solution particularly as I have House Ref.

As I am doing each tape seperately then my Lynx should remain in resolve mode for both right? Or should one be in Mstr mode and one not?

Unfortunately not having a manual gives me headaches!

Any advice welcome.
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

One thing I remember is that there must be a master lynx. Usually i would spit LTC out of protools into Lynx 1 which would then be the master. Lynx to was the slave and would spit out to the 2" Check out this site. it might have the info you need. If you have a Lynx 2 then you are in luck.

http://www.sessioncontrol.com/TL_archives.htm
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

Ahh OK, good idea, thanks for the advice.

Although If both ProTools and the 2" (via a Lynx in Master) are locked to Video Ref shouldn't that work the same?
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

You are using two lynx right? PT feeding the master one LTC, the other one being fed the 2" LTC, but slaved to the PT lynx, all these being clocked off the same house clock. The lynx should indicate when it is phase locked.
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

Don't know. Never tried. In theory i guess it would but I am never surprised by audio/video voodoo.
Old 22nd September 2005
More cowbell!

isnt the manual online??
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

LOL, you'd think it would be wouldn't you, I have found the manual for another version which is pretty similiar.

I think what I'm trying to do isn't explained or catered for and not having alot of Tape Sync experience its a bit "Black Art".

What I have been trying to do is Run ProTools clocked to House Sync (Video Ref) and Syncronising to the LTC off tape. Now ProTools chases fine but the problem I have is when attempting to play in the Slave Reel. I assumed that as the Lynx and the PT are locked to Video Ref the speed of the two tapes would remain constant but this doesn't appear to work.

Im Gonna try running 1 Lynx off ProTools LTC and Slaving both Reels to that.

Cheers all.
Old 23rd September 2005
Lives for gear

Use PT in (non chase) smpte clock as master to lynx slaving the tape machine.

You are only doing a transfer tp PT, not locking for sync to picture during the transfer.
The transfer will sound better if PT is the master clock.
If you can transfer in sync 2 passes this way, thats what is best.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search