The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AWS900 vs. AWS900+
Old 16th April 2010
Gear Head

Regarding the sticky faders, I have a similar situation here. Sometimes a third of the faders are sticky or won't recognise my touch at all. Funny thing is, we have a 900+ from the beginning, so it's the new faders from start. I was in contact with SSL and they told me in January that they're soon beta testing a Fader Firmware update to make the faders work more reliably.
They also mentioned, that the more humid it is the worse it gets. Which is a bit annoying, since we're located in Indonesia, which is very humid in general.

I have to say, it seems the AWS 900 series in general is a bit weak on the durability side. I know two Studios who have AWS 900(+), and both had issues from the start. One of them even had theirs replaced after a year, since too many issues popped up... That said, it doesn't mean, this isn't a great desk. I love how it sounds and how neatly it integrates in the whole DAW world.
Cheers Matias
Old 5th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Hi Matias, nice to know you here..
Still have same problems? It's 900 on Piyu's Studio right?
This problems already there from the beginning. This console already had at least 1x replacement faders. I suspect in Electrical/PLN issues.
Maybe next guitarist meeting, we can meet there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matias228 View Post
Regarding the sticky faders, I have a similar situation here. Sometimes a third of the faders are sticky or won't recognise my touch at all. Funny thing is, we have a 900+ from the beginning, so it's the new faders from start. I was in contact with SSL and they told me in January that they're soon beta testing a Fader Firmware update to make the faders work more reliably.
They also mentioned, that the more humid it is the worse it gets. Which is a bit annoying, since we're located in Indonesia, which is very humid in general.

I have to say, it seems the AWS 900 series in general is a bit weak on the durability side. I know two Studios who have AWS 900(+), and both had issues from the start. One of them even had theirs replaced after a year, since too many issues popped up... That said, it doesn't mean, this isn't a great desk. I love how it sounds and how neatly it integrates in the whole DAW world.
Cheers Matias
Old 5th May 2010
Myr
Gear Addict

Why exactly are you guys saying that a patchbay is a must have for this? Can't you just use it as an analogue/digital hybrid mixing desk to control your DAW?
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myr View Post
Why exactly are you guys saying that a patchbay is a must have for this? Can't you just use it as an analogue/digital hybrid mixing desk to control your DAW?
You'll lose most of the desks flexibility.
Old 5th May 2010
Myr
Gear Addict

You mean in terms of routing and with outboard gear?

I'd love of these, mainly for using it as a DAW controller with an analogue sound and the onboard EQ/compression, but I guess it's kinda overkill if I don't have a patchbay and outboard gear.
Old 6th May 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Hi Matias, nice to know you here..
Still have same problems? It's 900 on Piyu's Studio right?
This problems already there from the beginning. This console already had at least 1x replacement faders. I suspect in Electrical/PLN issues.
Maybe next guitarist meeting, we can meet there

Yeah Piyu told me they replaced stuff from the very beginning. But in our case, I think it isn't a faulty fader or controller, it's that the channels go bonkers randomly, at least a few of them. So one day they work flawlessly, and on another day I can't use them... And the only thing they don't do is recognising my touch... when they are linked to another fader (my little workaround) they follow flawlessly...
Well lets see what the firmware upgrade for the faders brings

And you are always welcome to hold the meeting in our place/studio!
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Nut

So, this is a really old thread, but anyway.. I just aquired an AWS900+se console, and I ofcourse have the fader issue... :/ Is there any recent info about the problem? Firmware? Upgrades?

Cheers!
Old 10th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephias View Post
So, this is a really old thread, but anyway.. I just aquired an AWS900+se console, and I ofcourse have the fader issue... :/ Is there any recent info about the problem? Firmware? Upgrades?

Cheers!
SSL released a new firmware upgrade a few months ago. You should go to the SSL website & you can download it. It's easy to upgrade.

What serial number are you? I have #120 from I think around 2005 and replaced all the faders for about $2500 roughly (did it myself).

The desk has been rock solid and the latest update was a good one.

As long as we're reviving this thread- has anyone used the Delta plugin yet? Has it been released? That's going to help automation workflow enormously.
Old 10th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstory View Post
SSL released a new firmware upgrade a few months ago. You should go to the SSL website & you can download it. It's easy to upgrade.

What serial number are you? I have #120 from I think around 2005 and replaced all the faders for about $2500 roughly (did it myself).

The desk has been rock solid and the latest update was a good one.

As long as we're reviving this thread- has anyone used the Delta plugin yet? Has it been released? That's going to help automation workflow enormously.
I got the #213 from 2006, running v2.0.13 software, gonna order the v4/delta upgrade this week, I can report back about the Delta plug-in after that The update I found did nothing to the faders :( Biggest problem is that the fader problem is pretty much random for me, so if I'm gonna change them, I need to change them all. Probably gonna do it tho, I got the desk for a really good price, atleast for the Swedish market, so it doesen't feel so bad to invest that 2500$
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I got the #213 from 2006, running v2.0.13 software, gonna order the v4/delta upgrade this week, I can report back about the Delta plug-in after that The update I found did nothing to the faders :( Biggest problem is that the fader problem is pretty much random for me, so if I'm gonna change them, I need to change them all. Probably gonna do it tho, I got the desk for a really good price, atleast for the Swedish market, so it doesen't feel so bad to invest that 2500$
Definitely worth upgrading the faders and it will fix your issues. You must do all 25 (can't forget the master ) If the fader problem is that they are balky or vibrating, then that's the old faders & you need to replace them with the new ones.

You also have old firmware. That will help too once you upgrade that. I forget the latest number but it's higher than what your running.

Does your AWS have recall & AWSomation? If so- you'll love it. It's not hard to learn at all. You might struggle a bit at first but it's actually super easy once you get it. I'm heavy analog & love this desk. And the Delta plugin is going to be awesome. I guess I need to call them about it. I missed AES and wanted to talk to them then.

Good luck- you got a great desk.
Old 11th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Definitely worth upgrading the faders and it will fix your issues. You must do all 25 (can't forget the master ) If the fader problem is that they are balky or vibrating, then that's the old faders & you need to replace them with the new ones.

You also have old firmware. That will help too once you upgrade that. I forget the latest number but it's higher than what your running.

Aight! Thanks for the tip
Yeah, the desk has Awesomation and recall is the master fader the same as the other 24?
I guess the V4/Delta update also kicks it up to the latest firmware..?
Yeah, i'm pleased with it so far, exept for the faders. Perfect for my workflow, and it sounds fantastic.
Old 11th November 2015
Solid State Logic

Delta upgrades available for some time now
Solid State Logic | Store
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Aight! Thanks for the tip
Yeah, the desk has Awesomation and recall is the master fader the same as the other 24?
I guess the V4/Delta update also kicks it up to the latest firmware..?
Yeah, i'm pleased with it so far, exept for the faders. Perfect for my workflow, and it sounds fantastic.
Yep- same fader as the others. Just give SSL a call and they'll get you going. They've always been super helpful & quick with us.

It's the Delta plugin that I'm interested in. I'm not sure if that requires a firmware/software update or not. I thought it was something that worked in Pro Tools and allowed easy storage of automation without having to save the file from the desk in your folder. And also allowed you to then hand draw AWS analog automation.

Peace out
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

I don't own my AWS anymore, but my fader problems went away (and never returned) after I replaced all 25 faders. This was done by me and Rico Weber, the official SSL tech in Germany. I don't know if he's responsible for Sweden as well, you might want to get in touch with SSL to ask about it.
It's still an awesome desk. I changed career and therefore am using Avid S6 now if at all, but sometimes I miss my SSL. (And sometimes not. The S6 is absolutely awesome as well).
Old 12th November 2015
Solid State Logic

Arva Trading are the right people to talk to in Sweden. They know what they're doing, but you're always welcome to call the service team at the factory to find out what your options are.
Old 12th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Arva Trading are the right people to talk to in Sweden. They know what they're doing, but you're always welcome to call the service team at the factory to find out what your options are.
Ah right, the Arva guys are good

I cleaned the faders today and it actually helped alot, and I've got good support via mail so far

Now to another, maybe stupid question :P I've been sitting in the studio the whole day scratching my head about the plug-in controller because whatever I'm doing I can't seem to get the plug-in parameters up on the TFT screen, I only get parameter information on the scribble strips.. Until it hit me that maybe the on-screen plug-in control is for PT HUI only, is this so? I'm on Logic X at the moment.

Cheers
Old 12th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yep- same fader as the others. Just give SSL a call and they'll get you going. They've always been super helpful & quick with us.

It's the Delta plugin that I'm interested in. I'm not sure if that requires a firmware/software update or not. I thought it was something that worked in Pro Tools and allowed easy storage of automation without having to save the file from the desk in your folder. And also allowed you to then hand draw AWS analog automation.

Peace out
Thanks

As I understand it, the Delta plug-in requires the V4/Delta upgrade, in it you get 5 ilok licenses for the plug-in, and the AWS V4 software update

Solid State Logic | AWS (non-V4 900+) to D-Ctrl Upgrade Kit
Old 12th November 2015
Shocking to hear that after spending all that money you then Have to repay for faulty faders that were never functioning properly from the beginning purchase.

Why is the customer having to pay out of pocket? Out of warranty?

I have been in the market for a console (SSL xl desk or aws924 ) and as prospective buyer this concerns me greatly.

Maybe I am missing something but shouldn't the faders be one of the last things to go bad or wear out in a SSL desk? And will all respect, if they were faulty or non functioning to begin with shouldn't SSL be responsible?
Old 13th November 2015
Solid State Logic

@ Sephias - the plug-in controls only go on to the screen if you are using HUI, they go onto the scribble strips if you are using MCU (which means more parameters and other cool things). Logic runs MCU.

@ ChaseUTB - actually faders are one area that get the most mechanical wear and tear in a console. Faders are one of the few moving parts on a console and they are constantly being moved, and on a console like an AWS that is also a DAW controller then you have all of those moves as well as the analogue moves. We have a very comprehensive fader evaluation process that involves multiple measurements over hundreds of thousands of cycle movements. Also remember that the AWS was launched in 2004 so depending on which variant of the console you are looking at it could have had over 10 years use on it.
Old 13th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
@ Sephias - the plug-in controls only go on to the screen if you are using HUI, they go onto the scribble strips if you are using MCU (which means more parameters and other cool things). Logic runs MCU.

@ ChaseUTB - actually faders are one area that get the most mechanical wear and tear in a console. Faders are one of the few moving parts on a console and they are constantly being moved, and on a console like an AWS that is also a DAW controller then you have all of those moves as well as the analogue moves. We have a very comprehensive fader evaluation process that involves multiple measurements over hundreds of thousands of cycle movements. Also remember that the AWS was launched in 2004 so depending on which variant of the console you are looking at it could have had over 10 years use on it.
Yeah, that's what I thought And now I know, thanks

Now I have two other questions :P The V-Pot (Or D-pot? the big one anyway..) on the master control panel is where I'm supposed to scroll between available sends and inserts in the DAW right? Now, on my desk I cant seem to do this, when I choose "plug-in" it shows me P4 and I can't change it, only flip to faders. It's like the rotary function doesen't work, or I'm just not getting the MCU thing right :P It's hard with the manual being mostly for the HUI.

Secondly, since a couple of things have been feeling a little buggy, I thought maybe I should do a Reset on the desk, is there a point in doing that?

And about the Faders @ ChaseUTB , as Jim says, I'm not very surprised, this desk has been used heavily and there is bound to be some wear on it, and I did some cleaning of the faders and the old "Motioning" trick and it worked Probably needs replacing soon anyway but as said, not very surprising.

Cheers!
Old 13th November 2015
Quote:

Ok. I hope the testing continues and the products continue to improve. Thanks
Old 13th November 2015
Solid State Logic

[QUOTE=Sephias;11478252

Now I have two other questions :P The V-Pot (Or D-pot? the big one anyway..) on the master control panel is where I'm supposed to scroll between available sends and inserts in the DAW right? Now, on my desk I cant seem to do this, when I choose "plug-in" it shows me P4 and I can't change it, only flip to faders. It's like the rotary function doesen't work, or I'm just not getting the MCU thing right :P It's hard with the manual being mostly for the HUI.

[/QUOTE]

Use the up/down arrows above the transport controls to move between plug-in slots.
Old 14th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Use the up/down arrows above the transport controls to move between plug-in slots.
Aah! Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search