The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need A Good Drum Kit for Studio Use
Old 22nd September 2005
not one mention of an acrolite? man I love that snare, try one out in your snare trials
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

I know the kit's already bought in this case, but I gotta throw out my .02 cents. I always prefer the sound of a good vintage kit to a new one. It's just me, but I think that a modern kit like a DW, Starclassic, Masters Custom or whatever else you want to talk about just simply has too much resonance. They are hard to sit in the mix. I'm getting more partial to my 6ply 70s Ludwig's as they are super large sounding, the have an incredible tone and they get out of the way quickly. They don't fill the soundstage up too much. When I've tried to use a modern kit, like my Starclassics in the studio, a simple single kick drum hit lasts for two measures. Muffle it you say? Then what's the point of using this drum?
Just like cars, guitars, motorcycles or whatevery...a vintage drum can be total crap if it's worn out, or it can be great. I just happen to prefer the sound of them for most things. With a change of heads or tuning, I can get just about any sound i need out of them.

later,
m
Old 22nd September 2005
Gear Addict

Drums are an opinion based decision and as long as your very pleased with your purchase, then rock on. I have a custom built kit that I think blows everything else away, accept for maybe the vintage USA maple Gretch kits. Also, you may want to purchase a smaller kick for more options. I have an 18" with an emad head and the attack is unreal!

As for snares, if you have the cash, invest in a Steve Gadd Yamaha Steel 5.5 X 14, and a Black Beauty. If cash is not avalible, which is my case, and if your using a DAW, you have to buy Drummagog (VST, MAS, RTAS, DX). One of the very best purchases I have every made. Many drummers insist on using their own kit, and this plug-in can help fix any bad sounding drum track. I also bought the vintage drum sample disc for drummagog and the snares sampled are all vintage must have snares.

I love it!!
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by InverseHelix
Someone sugested composition isn't important, but given the physics of sound I'm not sure how that's possible.
Well, I've heard acrylic shells sound fat, warm and resonant, and maple shell kits sound dry, lean and sharp.

It's possible because of the huge number of variables involved in getting a drum sound.

I have no problem with you stating your experience of how shell composition makes a difference, but then your experience is not mine. My experience suggests that shell composition is near the bottom of the list when adjudged next to the drummers ability to pull tone out of a kit, the choice of heads, tuning, size of drum, and room acoustics.

Of course, differing opinions and experience is what makes the world such an interesting place.

Cheers,

bdp
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

True about the shell composition. All of those that think all their great sounding vintage gretsch, rogers, luddy, etc kits are all maple? Think again. Most were at best a maple interior and exterior. If they're wrapped, then look for mahogany on the outter ply. Some of the Slings and Luddys are mahogany inside as well.
Rogers was the first to use an all maple shell and that was in the 60s. Previous to that, look for some other woods like poplar and mahogany in there somewhere.

As long as it's a good grade of wood, round and has decent bearing edges, it can be a fine drum.

later,
m
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

KICK DRUM

I've been thinking about getting a new kit for the studio myself.... basically I want a more flexible, somewhat tighter kick drum sound. I have a few different snares so I'm good there. My kit is a Yamaha Beech Custom with "I think" a 22" or 24" kick. The toms sound amazingly loud and clear but the kick is kinda too poofy and boomy for some styles of music - dampening it is OK but seems to makes it flatter sounding - not just dryer. Maybe just replace the kick with an 18" Yamaha? Same wood?

Someone point me in a new direction... I'm thining more Bernard Purdie, less Matt Sorum.

Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

see my post above about vintage kits...
m
Old 22nd September 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog
I've been thinking about getting a new kit for the studio myself.... basically I want a more flexible, somewhat tighter kick drum sound. I have a few different snares so I'm good there. My kit is a Yamaha Beech Custom with "I think" a 22" or 24" kick. The toms sound amazingly loud and clear but the kick is kinda too poofy and boomy for some styles of music - dampening it is OK but seems to makes it flatter sounding - not just dryer. Maybe just replace the kick with an 18" Yamaha? Same wood?

Someone point me in a new direction... I'm thining more Bernard Purdie, less Matt Sorum.

IMOP, Toms are 80% shell and 20% head combination for a great sound.
Kick on the other hand is about 30%shell, 50% head, and 20% size. After playing and recording kicks with Remo Pinstrip, Remo Powerstroke 3, Aquaiarum superkick 1 & 2, and the Evans Emad, my head of choice is the Emad hands down. I like a punchy kick with good attack and a smooth low end and the emad is perfect for that. I have an eight ply keller maply 16X22" kick and a small 16X18" gretch Mahagony kick. The Smaller gretch kick seems to sit in the mix much better without hardly any eq. The custom kick is beefier and bigger sounding which is great for Cold Playish type songs, but for Tighter songs, I turn to the smaller kick. If you can afford both, go for it. It will give you more options.

Also, don't forget that it also depends on what mic you prefer. I double mic the kick with a Beta 52 and a SM57. I use the 57 as a trigger for drummagog, unless the 52 sounds fine on it's own.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search