The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ULN 8 vs. Prismsound Orpheus vs AD16X +DA16X
Old 4th December 2010 | Show parent
I'm thinking of getting an Orpheus for the conversion (for tracking and monitoring) and a ULN-2 for the digitial summing bus (for mixing). I'd rather have a blend of both than question which one is better. I already use the digital summing bus in a MH 2882 and like what's going on there during mixing and would like to stick with that workflow. I also don't want to deal with DB25 in a home studio and actually like the more pared down I/O on the Orpheus.
Old 5th December 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Ok guys,

Last week I went to my ULN 8 dealer to find out what was going on in my set-up so I took my synth, my Mac Pro and my ULN8 with me. After trying everything out we could not hear any problem at all! The frustration got bigger and bigger cause I knew at home I would get the clicks back so I did not want to give up and leave the place before finding out what was wrong in my home-studio. After a liter of coffee I realized that I forgot my midi-patch-bay so that would be the missing link and perhaps the problem maker. We connected a midi interface between my Mac Pro and my Nord Wave and finally we recreated the click again! So from now on everything I did on my Nord Wave was hearable through the speakers, even browsing through my presets gave noise and clicks. To be clear this had nothing to do with the ULN 8 but with the noise the Clavia's are outputting through their unbalanced outputs. Then we tried a DI- box between my Nord Wave and the ULN8 and the clicks were gone. I am not sure if this is the best or only solution but at least it's a solution and I can go on now. I ordered 3 Radial Duplex Di's so everything with my Clavia's should be ok now.

Thanks for your help all!

ens
Gear Guru

Wow. I'm glad to hear it wasn't the ULN-8. But damn, that's an expensive solution. Have you tried different, better, more high end cables?
Gear Guru

And you tried turning the output of the Nord way down?
Gear Nut

I have tried to put the output down but with no results really.

I did not try other high end cabling and I don't know why I did not think about that before actually? .

If I can get to make music again after connecting my Radials in the path with no clicks anymore I will forget the extra expense and go on. The negativity costs me more man I want to love my ULN8 just like you do, I need that love man!

ens
Gear Guru

Well it's a great piece of gear. And it sounds like there's no reason not to love, since the blame has nothing to do with the ULN-8. But you know, not every piece of gear is for everybody. I hope you find that love to!
Old 6th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by friction909 View Post
I'm thinking of getting an Orpheus for the conversion (for tracking and monitoring) and a ULN-2 for the digitial summing bus (for mixing). I'd rather have a blend of both than question which one is better. I already use the digital summing bus in a MH 2882 and like what's going on there during mixing and would like to stick with that workflow. I also don't want to deal with DB25 in a home studio and actually like the more pared down I/O on the Orpheus.

Assuming that money is absolutely no object ... it's still kind of a crazy idea. I'm not sure you realize how needlessly complicated you're going to make your every moment of music-making by using two interfaces to do the job of one.

If you don't want to deal with Dsub, you can buy a custom breakout panel for the ULN-8 for about $300. That's a lot cheaper than an Orpheus, and a lot easier to integrate.

JSL
Gear Head

not sure if this has been covered--but can someone give me an example of using a ULN8 or LIO8 as a headphone dist.??

How do you distribute the one stereo headphone feed out out of the unit and turn it into 5 headphones for the band?
Lives for gear

Here's how I set up headphones. I'm including a screenshot of a mixer from one of my recent sessions. In this set up I have, two stereo cue mixes and two mono mixes (in addition to my own monitor/headphone mix). What's cool is that these are completely autonomous mixes. This isn't just a split.

Look at the channelstrip on the left (Bass Mic). You can see the inserted bus sends (Haloverb, VxPhns, Drums, etc). On the far right side of the mixer is the destination of those sends (i.e. the cue mix busses). I have these routed to the various analog outs (3/4, 5/6, 7, and 8).

In the middle of the image is the send mixer, which allows me to set up the headphone mix however the musician wants it. As you can see, this includes separate volume and panning for all the inputs and I've also added a reverb return from a bus set up for Haloverb and a DAW return for playback and overdubbing.

As far as the physical hookup goes, I plug my snake return channels right into the ULN-8 outputs with no headphone amp. There's plenty of output juice to run multiple pairs of cans.

I hope this helps.
-s
Attached Thumbnails
ULN 8 vs. Prismsound Orpheus vs AD16X +DA16X-mio-mixer.jpg  
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
not sure if this has been covered--but can someone give me an example of using a ULN8 or LIO8 as a headphone dist.??

How do you distribute the one stereo headphone feed out out of the unit and turn it into 5 headphones for the band?
You don't. Both units have 8 analog outs and the head phone jack on the front that's a mult of 1/2 for 10 divided by 2 = 5. In my case, when I use headphones, I use 6 mono sends - analog 3-8.
Lives for gear

To be clear I think you mean 8 analog outs. It does also have 8 sends and returns, but those relate to specific inputs.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax View Post
To be clear I think you mean 8 analog outs. It does also have 8 sends and returns, but those relate to specific inputs.
Thanks. Edited for clarity.
Lives for gear

I just had another thought on this thread. Is the issue at home only? Are you sure you're getting full power there? I did once do a location gig and I had some issues that resulted from voltage sag.

Also, if you are using the DI inputs on the ULN-8 did you trying changing the internal jumpers to reduce the gain?
📝 Reply