The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ULN 8 vs. Prismsound Orpheus vs AD16X +DA16X
Old 11th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
One of the simple things I love so much about the ULN-8, and I've become so accustomed I sometimes take the simple things for granted, is just the flexibility of using eq, compression, limiters, reverb, etc recording on the way in and having the option of an unaffected track as well as post fader. The box is so damned flexible.
Hi Henry,
I have a question: could I record 2 tracks of the same signal? say one with eq and compression, and the other one totally flat?

Thanks in advance, Andrea
Old 11th November 2010
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years

Yes! I do this all the time!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax72 View Post
Hi Henry,
I have a question: could I record 2 tracks of the same signal? say one with eq and compression, and the other one totally flat?

Thanks in advance, Andrea
To do that, you would insert a FW send to your host DAW before the DSP, and a different FW send post DSP. Piece of cake ;-)
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Goekdag View Post
To do that, you would insert a FW send to your host DAW before the DSP, and a different FW send post DSP. Piece of cake ;-)
All inside the halo mixer, right?
Not sure what you mean with "FW"...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, all within the MIO mixer. "FW" means "FireWire" --- you have 18 sends both to and from the DAW via the FireWire interface, they are called "FW Sends" and "FW Returns" in the MIO mixer. This way of connecting the MIO mixer to your apps makes for a lot of flexibility.

Be advised that at quad sampling rates (176.4 & 192k), you only have 8 FW sends and Returns, so you cannot use the full I/O from within your DAW at those rates.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
oh, ok. I get it now.
No worries about resolution, I'm happy with doing everything at 44.1k for the moment.

Thank you, looks like we're going to have to try this machine soon.
thumbsup

A.
Old 28th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Which multiple DI-box for my ULN8?

Hi guys,

Been a while since opening this thread.
Now I need your assistance again. To go short I need a DI to use this card without complications on the line inputs. Can the keyboardist/synthsists of this world with a ULN8 advice me which way to go?

Should I buy a an active or a passive DI? and
What brand is good, bla bla bla.

I need one badly!

Thanks

ens
Old 29th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Buy a Radial JDI and don't look back.
Old 29th November 2010
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years

Use the two DIs on the front of the ULN-8. Done. They're great.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^ this...
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Use the two DIs on the front of the ULN-8. Done. They're great.
Sorry Henry but you miss the point here totally.
Even in my opening thread I said I work with synths and also with a lot of them. Pointing to the DI's on the front is too easy and not solving my problem at all.
I discovered the beauty of the DI on the front within a couple of hours after purchase but these line inputs on the back are killing me when working with synths and I need to find a decent solution for it.

Btw the frustration gets bigger because I really don't understand what's going on. When I work on the box (main) I don't have problems at all but then when I work on my Daws (logic and Ableton) The problem starts (the problem by the way is a click on the attack of each sound I play on my external keyboard).

But actually I am afraid that you, by pointing to the DI on the front acknowledge the fact that the line inputs are an expectable problem maker when using them with synths?

ens
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I really like the Avalon U-5 DI. Does cost some money but it is a really excellent piece of kit.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Ok right now I am at the point that first I want to find out if it really is the lack of a DI which causes this problem. If so than off course I will buy a decent one. I hope it is actually but I am afraid it's not. is there anyone out there who plays keys/synths with a ULN 8 without a DI box experiencing no problems at all?

I mean if those line inputs can't handle all synth outputs why isn't this information given clearly?

I mean, I am sorry to say but while you can't compare the ULN with something like a Motu card, I never had these problems with my Motu. And of course the Motu is a joke comparing with the ULN.

ens
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hi Ensemble,

The rear LINE inputs are great for synths. The Mic inputs, on a seperate DB25 have pre-amps attached, which is great when you need them. The front panel DI inputs are actually more ideal for things like guitars - lower output levels than line, often unbalanced. So you have BOTH.

I'm not sure I follow your problem, but if you use the line inputs it should be fine with most synths. DI's exist to convert unbalanced line level signals to lower mic levels for easy interconnect. You have line-level inputs already, so you don't need a DI nor do you need a preamp to bring synths up to line level (and you're already there). So...

Set the output level of your synth to some middling level (on a circular fader, 2:00 is often good, or if there's a detent for 0VU leave it there). If the synth's outputs are 1/4" unbalanced, set the input in console to Line -10 for starters... that should be close. If it's XLR, balanced 1/4" or your levels are just hammering the inputs, Line +4 gives you a pad for those hotter levels. Finally, trim the output of the device with it's volume knob to tweak the range. For most synths you don't want your levels to peak much higher than -12 (and try never to go higher then -6) on the ULN meters - levels hotter than that can produce intersample peaks and other problems that are audible on repro.

A common issue with analog synths and daws is DC offset - this can be present by accident or design (of the patch, not the synth). Where it exists you get clicks at every key press and/or edit. It's not a defect of the daw or interface or synth, but the nature of the sound being produced accurately. DIs, esp w/transformers, can smooth these patches and thus may seem "more compatible" but it's really just a conventional "fudge" to get something done - analog consoles with txfrs built in do this automagically, at the expense of fidelity (design tradeoff: warmth, slower transients). No magic.

Anyway, you should be able to do what you want easily if I understand you. Sounds like you're feeding the mic inputs or driving the lines at the wrong level, but apologies if I'm wrong. As noted I'm not sure I follow...
Old 29th November 2010
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years

I didn't understand what you were talking about. Still don't but I hVe a better idea.

I use the rear line inputs for things like synths. I have those routed to a patch bay for general convenience when I have a bunch of synths to record. This is the way to do it. But I've never heard the clicking attack you're talking about. And I also have some motu interfaces. I don't have time to do a comparison.
Old 29th November 2010
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years

Btw it was really very simple to miss the point because the question itself was very vague and unspecific.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You say that you don't have this problem when working in the console, but you do in your DAW. Are you using "software monitoring" in your DAWs?

This may have nothing to do with hardware. Try raising your buffer in Logic.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I didn't understand what you were talking about. Still don't but I hVe a better idea.

I use the rear line inputs for things like synths. I have those routed to a patch bay for general convenience when I have a bunch of synths to record. This is the way to do it. But I've never heard the clicking attack you're talking about. And I also have some motu interfaces. I don't have time to do a comparison.
Henry, I already tried that with a patchbay. No results, click stayed.

Thanks anyway.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Btw it was really very simple to miss the point because the question itself was very vague and unspecific.
I was vague because I did not want to attack Metric Halo at all and hoped the people who knew what I was saying would take a half word and understand the problem.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Don't be vague... if it's a problem that gets solved it won't reflect negatively. If there is no easy solution, you give MH the opportunity to update the design in future versions, and the path to resolution is useful for other users.

Now back to it: If the problem isn't apparent in Console by itself, the issue is indeed your DAW. OTOH if it's constant, but inserting a DI (active or txfr) makes it go away, it's possibly a DC offset issue in the analog circuitry - might be exacerbated by a lost-leg in a balanced circuit, but that typically appears as a loss in signal level and one half of the overall waveform, not clicks.

I'd love to help you out - I use synths and line level devices with my ULN8 all the time with no problems, so your problem should have a solution.

best,

-d-
Old 29th November 2010
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensemble

Henry, I already tried that with a patchbay. No results, click stayed.

Thanks anyway.
Still not clear. It's not the patch bay, it's using the line inputs on the rear. I'm assuming that's what you mean and what you're doing/did?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Still not clear. It's not the patch bay, it's using the line inputs on the rear. I'm assuming that's what you mean and what you're doing/did?
What I meant was besides pluggin my synths directly into the line input of the ULN8. I inserted a patchbay in the path so the path was synth -> patchbay -> ULN8.

I don't know if this is clear?

Anyhow, this configuration led to nothing regarding the c licks, they stayed there.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Davis View Post
Don't be vague... if it's a problem that gets solved it won't reflect negatively. If there is no easy solution, you give MH the opportunity to update the design in future versions, and the path to resolution is useful for other users.

Now back to it: If the problem isn't apparent in Console by itself, the issue is indeed your DAW. OTOH if it's constant, but inserting a DI (active or txfr) makes it go away, it's possibly a DC offset issue in the analog circuitry - might be exacerbated by a lost-leg in a balanced circuit, but that typically appears as a loss in signal level and one half of the overall waveform, not clicks.

I'd love to help you out - I use synths and line level devices with my ULN8 all the time with no problems, so your problem should have a solution.

best,

-d-
Dear Dave,

Thanks for your helpful replies first.

Parallel to posting this thread here I also contacted Mh service and the seller who sold the unit to me. I assume they will come with a solution soon, better said I hope and pray for it! I definitely will report back.

ens
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Being vague is absolutely counterproductive in most situations in life.

This is one of them.

- c
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensemble View Post
What I meant was besides pluggin my synths directly into the line input of the ULN8. I inserted a patchbay in the path so the path was synth -> patchbay -> ULN8.

I don't know if this is clear?

Anyhow, this configuration led to nothing regarding the c licks, they stayed there.
OK. I'm talking about the db25. This is inserted into the rear of the ULN-8. This is not the mic inputs. These are the "line in 1-8". They are below and somewhat left of the mic ins and adjacent to the balanced sends. Are we talking the same thing now?

BTW as usual Dave is right. No need to be vague. BJ does not like having bugs in his gear. If you've located a problem no one else has, he will track it down and fix it, quickly. So you'd be doing everyone a favor by not being vague.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Then we'll leave it to the pros at MH to sort you out, and await your report.

To follow up, I presume you were saying you tried using the REAR PANEL line ins, with and without a patchbay, and the clicks remained. If you were referring entirely to front panel DIs, I'd recommend trying the rears and see if the problem goes away.

Finally, do check buffer settings and such if you're monitoring through your DAW, and not Console. Also verify the clicks are being recorded, not just ephemerally playing as you track - this gets the DAW out of the equation, and on track to resolve any hardware issues.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Being vague is absolutely counterproductive in most situations in life.

This is one of them.

- c
Silver Sonja with all respect to you but why did you post that reply man? I mean, I did already tell why I was vague and while I like your humor and replies most of the time I don't really get you now!

Cheers
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Then we'll leave it to the pros at MH to sort you out, and await your report.

To follow up, I presume you were saying you tried using the REAR PANEL line ins, with and without a patchbay, and the clicks remained. If you were referring entirely to front panel DIs, I'd recommend trying the rears and see if the problem goes away.
Jes, I was saying that I used the rear panel line ins with and without a patchbay and the clicks remained. The front panel DI's are absolutely clickfree and very very nice, so all good there.

Quote:
Finally, do check buffer settings and such if you're monitoring through your DAW, and not Console. Also verify the clicks are being recorded, not just ephemerally playing as you track - this gets the DAW out of the equation, and on track to resolve any hardware issues.
I will try to alter buffer settings again to see what happens but to be honest it made no difference when I tried that before.
The clicks are recorded and you can hear them very clearly.

Thanks!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensemble View Post
Silver Sonja with all respect to you but why did you post that reply man? I mean, I did already tell why I was vague and while I like your humor and replies most of the time I don't really get you now!

Cheers
I think he's being serious. Vagueness is counter productive. If you're going to understand something or try to fix something or the like, vagueness is your enemy. I don't think it was a hostile barb. Maybe a helpful tip.

For example you didn't say you used the line ins on the rear. That's what was so confusing in trying to figure out what was going on and what the problem was or could possibly be.

Good luck. The MH guys are the best.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The MH guys are the best.
Agree with that.
πŸ“ Reply