The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sleeper mic
Old 20th October 2009
Lives for gear

Sleeper mic

I recently purchased a pair of Audio Technica AT4047 FET mics. I already own a couple of AT4041' and they do a nice job and I had heard god reports of others in the Audio Technica 40xx range.

What surprised me was how great they really sound. I put one up next to my U67 just to get a feel. You know, use the U67 as a bench mark as it is a fantastic mic. What blew me away is just how well the AT4047 held it's own with the U67. Different of course, but equally good qualities in both. Particularly the mids.

Before you say that there is something wrong with my U67...I had it fully restored less than 12 months ago by Gunter Wagner himself. He did a great job.

Anyway, just sharing the love with the AT4047. What great value it is. Nice to purchase a mic that did not break the budget and punches well above it's weight.

Anyone else using one???
Old 20th October 2009
Gear Guru

I have two. They haven't been used as much lately as in the past, but that's just how I am. I'm sure I'll pull one or both out for something and go on a kick of using it a lot. When I still had access to a vintage U87, on one record something went goofy on the 87 and I swapped for a 4047 and it was fantastic. It would take some serious listening to figure which vocals were done with which mic.
Old 20th October 2009
Gear Maniac

It's the best mic in my low-end collection. I have run it through a Groove Tubes Brick, a Line 6 interface, a China group buy pre and an M-Audio pre and it did well on my voice each time.
Old 20th October 2009
Lives for gear

I have never tried one, but I've read a lot about that and the 4050. Lots of clips around here if you look hard enough, and they are both very impressive sounding. Thanks for the review!
Old 21st October 2009
Gear Maniac

Ive had one for a little bit now, it seems really dark on alot of things i use it on, but i was using it with a purple biz, just got a api 512c so im gonna see how it sounds with that. Pretty cool on some vocals, cant really get an acoustic sound i like with it though. But for the price i think its worth having one in the locker
Old 21st October 2009
Lives for gear

I really like those too. If a real FET 47 isn't available I'll totally throw a 4047 up.
Old 21st October 2009
Gear Addict

I was steered from the 4047 to a Mojave Audio MA-201 FET by a friend...having not heard both (cuz I live in BFE), I'm wondering how they compare/compete. For the record, the MA-201 sounds pretty dang good (for $500).

Keith

Last edited by Spindrift; 21st October 2009 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 21st October 2009
Lives for gear

I have tried a lot of lower end mics before and I guess owning the U67 have a high benchmark. None of them really ever do it for me now, but the AT4047FET has really impressed me. I would happily pay a lot more for it.

PS. - I just found out that Audio Technica have released the AT4047FET in a muti pattern.
Old 21st October 2009
Gear Addict

AT4047MP

Interesting.
Old 21st October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysentarygary View Post
I have never tried one, but I've read a lot about that and the 4050. Lots of clips around here if you look hard enough, and they are both very impressive sounding. Thanks for the review!
thumbsupthumbsup 4050!!
Old 24th October 2009
Gear Maniac

A bump for this thread.
I´m really curios about this mic.
I´m looking for a sturdy outside kick condenser and when you say "dark" it get´s my attention.

/M
Old 24th October 2009
Its my go mic for my bass drum reso side
Old 24th October 2009
Lives for gear

My AT mics are 'sleepers' for the most part, because I very rarely use them. Which is because there are so many better (better sounding and better made) mics.
Old 25th October 2009
Lives for gear

Shure SM7 is my sleeper mic. Not because nobody knows how good it is, just because of the price. Great mic.
Old 25th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM Interactive View Post
My AT mics are 'sleepers' for the most part, because I very rarely use them. Which is because there are so many better (better sounding and better made) mics.
Wow DSM. You must have an envious mic cabinet. I too have a lot of mics and I would always be happy to throw up an AT 40xx mic. They will never replace my classics, but they do a damn fine job all the same.
Old 25th October 2009
Gear Maniac

I regularly use 4041's and 4050's. I like them. I'm curious to try the 4047FET now. Totally within budget.
Old 26th October 2009
Gear Maniac

I use two 4047's for drum room mics. They work fantastic.
Old 31st October 2009
Lives for gear

I threw up a couple of 4047's as OH's and I would have been happy to mix the whole kit with the result. Their sonic picture is huge. Transformers rock!
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

I would be interested in sleeper mics also, just don't think that 4047 that everybody (including me) loves is really a one. Is there such tings as sleeper mics? Lawson, Avantone, Oktava (not really a sleeper thanks to Michael Joly!), please feel free to share you're secret!

EDIT: Sorry, didn't notice this was the high end forum, maybe a wrong place to ask about sleeper mics, sorry
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

Nevaton MC48.
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
heh. nevaton mc-416 (or ist 412)
ill get a mc48 too
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

My favorite "high end" sleeper mics are the Neumann U77 and the Neumann KM74. These (along with the KM73 and KM76) are from the rare and almost totally unknown Neumann FET 70 Series. Although solid state, the FET 70 series mics were designed in the 1960's before phantom power was invented and require a (easy to find) special power supply which supplies more current than phantom power and this has some advantages like higher output and less noise. The U77 sounds like something in between a U67 and a U87 and the KM 74 sounds like something in between a KM64 and a KM84.
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
AT4047MP

Interesting.
Anyone tried this? I really like AT4047, but I also like AT4050 for its multi pattern use... AT4047MP.. damn :D
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

My sleeper mic is the Studio Projects C-1. It's been asleep since about two weeks after I bought it all those years ago, and I don't plan on ever waking it up again.

My other sleeper mic is a Oktava MK-105, which is sort of a poor man's 414. Mine came with a significant 3k bump (according to the individual graph that comes with the mic.) I was disappointed at first, until I realized how great it sounds on a dull acoustic guitar or lifeless sax. Now it's my go-to mic for those sources.

On the 4047 - I've always thought the high end sounded kind of trashy. In spite of that, I use mine on acoustic bass, and for my voice, where it beats out all the other great mics I've got laying around here, including some nice tube LDC's. In fact, I almost sold it, until I happened across an old mic shootout file I'd done a while back and noticed how cool it sounded on my voice. I read somewhere that hotshot Nashville engineers use it on mandolin, but I use a ribbon, or a Oktava 319 for that.

The one thing that annoys me about the 4047 is the idea that it's a "dark" mic. It's not dark. It's got the same 4k-5k bump as the other AT mics, but the bump in the low mids and the 10k roll off disguises it. (Can you tell I have a love/hate relationship with my 4047?)
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 View Post
I recently purchased a pair of Audio Technica AT4047 FET mics. I already own a couple of AT4041' and they do a nice job and I had heard god reports of others in the Audio Technica 40xx range.

What surprised me was how great they really sound. I put one up next to my U67 just to get a feel. You know, use the U67 as a bench mark as it is a fantastic mic. What blew me away is just how well the AT4047 held it's own with the U67. Different of course, but equally good qualities in both. Particularly the mids.

Before you say that there is something wrong with my U67...I had it fully restored less than 12 months ago by Gunter Wagner himself. He did a great job.

Anyway, just sharing the love with the AT4047. What great value it is. Nice to purchase a mic that did not break the budget and punches well above it's weight.

Anyone else using one???

I don't think 4047 is a sleeper. It always has gotten mucho praise I'll be honest I never liked AT mics except fro the AT25 dynamics
but after hearing for the last few years how great their newer condensers were I had to check them out. They sound great. With my limited experience with the 4047 I don't know if I would go that far comparing it directly to a 67? But who knows maybe? maybe not?

But 4047 has always been a lower end (priced) mic that has gotten alot of kudos and rightly so. It is more than a solid mic. and the price is right.
Old 31st December 2009
Gear Addict

M-Audio Pulsar II, sleeper mic for me. I use it more than my KM184 for guitars.
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

The M-Audio Solaris has opened my eyes...& ears...WIDE!
Old 1st January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
They sound great. With my limited experience with the 4047 I don't know if I would go that far comparing it directly to a 67? But who knows maybe? maybe not?
Please do not misunderstand my original statement. I am not saying it is the same as my U67. Just a surprising mic that can hold it's head high in the company of the benchmark mics. It does not exhibit all the trash/sizzle/high end hype that most budget condenser mics do. Very warm but not muddy and a very big sonic picture.

So please do not take all this as a statement that this mic can replace a U67. That would be reading way more into it.
Peace.
Old 1st January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
...I am not saying it is the same as my U67.
For just a moment there, you had us all preparing for a "free lunch"!

Quote:
So please do not take all this as a statement that this mic can replace a U67.
And yet, it is astounding what those canny folks can do with hot-melt glue and half a can of spray paint.
Old 1st January 2010
Lives for gear

My sleeper mic is an MCA SP-1. I picked up a pair off auction for $51 shipped...sold one on craigslist for $50. So I basically got the mic for a buck.

That mic is on 90% of the vox on this tune:
Start Player

Not too bad for the money!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search