The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sleeper mic
Old 1st January 2010
Lives for gear

A lot of people seem to like the AT 4047. At first I was a little surprised by this. Please don't get me wrong, this was only until I saw the US prices for Audio Technica. In Europe they are much more expensive, almost in the same range as the cheapest Neumann's.

I'm now thinking about ordering some AT mics from the US.

And that brings me to the point of this thread: Sleeper mics!

The AT 4060 hasn't been available in Europe for a while because of RoHS but it can be ordered from the US at the same cheap prices as all the other AT mics, which are shockingly overpriced in Europe! Is the 4060 an "European sleeper"?
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Vogel View Post
My sleeper mic is an MCA SP-1. I picked up a pair off auction for $51 shipped...sold one on craigslist for $50. So I basically got the mic for a buck.

That mic is on 90% of the vox on this tune:
Start Player

Not too bad for the money!

+1 on that one! I bought a much more expensive SDC, and actually the "lowly" SP1 kicks its butt, BIG TIME!!!! Oh, I know that the "other" mic is probably more accurate, etc. etc., but all that means nothing unless the mic has some form of "mojo"......those damn SP1s have a lot of MOJO!!!!!
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear

Sleeper mic....

Mine may have been modded without my knowledge as it came directly from Larry Villella's hands but my GT2 MK2 mic hangs with some serious company. Very U67-like. Maybe the tranny got swapped....
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear
My favorite "sleepers"...

Low-end: Sennheiser e906
- Works in a lot of applications you wouldn't expect it to.

Middle: Gefell UM92.1S
- More warm and open than it has a right to be

High-end: M49b
- Why aren't these more popular than U47's and 67's?
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

I would say I have a decent mic locker with a good combination of high end mics. I have used the AT series as good solid work horse mics for a number of years. I've never had any issues with them and find they "work" very well in most situations. I don't really think they are sleeper mics, they just don't have the snob factor that other mics do. I think they are an excellent value. Maybe if AT doubled the price they would get more respect.

If I had a sleeper mic in my locker I would say it's the Avantone CV-12. I've never known why most "pros" haven't taken this mic seriously.

Quote:
The AT 4060 hasn't been available in Europe for a while because of RoHS but it can be ordered from the US at the same cheap prices as all the other AT mics, which are shockingly overpriced in Europe! Is the 4060 an "European sleeper"?
I got my first 4060 and within a month I bought 3 more. I find the 4060 a quite wonderful mic. I think the only thing I have not used it one is pianos.
Old 12th January 2010
Gear Head

At4047 vs u67

While I would never say that the AT4047 has outdone the u67 on this forum, I can imagine someone getting as good or better results with one. But this is, of course, subject to the style of the singer/music and ability of the recording artist.

One particular instance, I was working within limits, and I had to choose between a u87ai and an AT4041 for voice. The mics sound radically different, and in that case the AT4041 won.
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
At4047 vs u67

While I would never say that the AT4047 has outdone the u67 on this forum, I can imagine someone getting as good or better results with one. But this is, of course, subject to the style of the singer/music and ability of the recording artist.

One particular instance, I was working within limits, and I had to choose between a u87ai and an AT4041 for voice. The mics sound radically different, and in that case the AT4041 won.
True enough. I've even had that happen (on one occasion) with an SM57. Just seemed a great fit for the voice and the song.

But I'm not about to argue that a '57 is in the same league (or sonic ballpark) as any of the mics it happened to trump on that day.

Old 12th January 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM Interactive View Post
But I'm not about to argue that a '57 is in the same league (or sonic ballpark)
That goes with out saying.
Old 12th January 2010
Gear Maniac

oktavamod mk104 still gets tonnes of use.

Not too bright and tailored low end make it great on boomy sources or pop vocal layers
Old 5th August 2010
Gear Head

"And yet, it is astounding what those canny folks can do with hot-melt glue and half a can of spray paint."

Give me a break! Audio Technica mics are of the highest quality available. Just because their name does not allow for the ridiculous profit margins of a Neumann, Brauner etc., does not mean they are not stellar, top-shelf mics. If you don't thinks so, then you obviously haven't used them, or you're like a child who decides he hates his food before he even tries it and closes his mind to the experience.
Obviously there are many high quality mics on the market, but Audio Technica 40 series mics are the Lexus of the microphone world. If you need to pay the money for the Bentley to make you feel O.K. about your purchase, go ahead. Audio Technica 40 series mics will last as long and sound as good or better than Neumanns for a given application, at half the price!

(With all due respect to Neumann and their excellent mics, without whom we wouldn't even be having this discussion)
Old 6th August 2010
Here for the gear

They are great mics

I recorded some vocals a few years back on the 4047 with a Neve 1073 and Tubetech compressor - the result was amazing.
Hold on to those babies... they are not easily found.
Old 24th May 2018
Here for the gear

RFT CM7156! I just buyed one after using one in Berlin. Totally blows me away. Great vintage mic that not know many people.
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 View Post
I recently purchased a pair of Audio Technica AT4047 FET mics. I already own a couple of AT4041' and they do a nice job and I had heard god reports of others in the Audio Technica 40xx range.

What surprised me was how great they really sound. I put one up next to my U67 just to get a feel. You know, use the U67 as a bench mark as it is a fantastic mic. What blew me away is just how well the AT4047 held it's own with the U67. Different of course, but equally good qualities in both. Particularly the mids.

Before you say that there is something wrong with my U67...I had it fully restored less than 12 months ago by Gunter Wagner himself. He did a great job.

Anyway, just sharing the love with the AT4047. What great value it is. Nice to purchase a mic that did not break the budget and punches well above it's weight.

Anyone else using one???
try the AT5047!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search