The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focusrite Red 3 or Drawmer 1968? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 19th September 2005
Lives for gear

Focusrite Red 3 or Drawmer 1968?

Thought I had my mind made up on the Drawmer, but then got offered a decent deal on a Red...must admit, I have always ben a sucker for the Red series. plus i dig the idea of having both the comp and limiter in one. But then again...no Big switch....

Will be used for tracking, but mostly for 2 Buss work...thoughts?

Please make my decision process/inability to make a decision easier.... heh
Old 19th September 2005

oooooooo... this is a good one!

I probably would say the Red 3, which is by the far the best product in Focusrite's Red range. I like using the Red 3 on the two buss. I have very limited experience with the 1968, but I have experience with the 1969, and have been happy with using it on the two buss.... Wait a minute this is the "high end forum", doesn't that mean you have to buy both of them?

Red 3 all the way, if it's a really great deal.
Old 19th September 2005
Gear Addict

I've got a Red3 and a Blue 230 - which is the "mastering" version with stepped pots, and I love them both on the 2-mix, and as insert on channels. I frequently use the Red for dials (I do post) and it is without doubt a fabulous piece of kit. I tend to use the Blue on 2-mix, because doing recalls is easier than on the Red.

I have no experience with the Drawmer, but I have no reservations about recommending the Focusrite.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 19th September 2005
Lives for gear

i guess i'll have to chime in for the drawmer. i haven't been crazy about any of the focusrite stuff i've tried, but your tastes may be different than mine.
good luck,
joshua
Old 19th September 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Halligan
I've got a Red3 and a Blue 230 - which is the "mastering" version with stepped pots, and I love them both on the 2-mix, and as insert on channels. I frequently use the Red for dials (I do post) and it is without doubt a fabulous piece of kit. I tend to use the Blue on 2-mix, because doing recalls is easier than on the Red.

I have no experience with the Drawmer, but I have no reservations about recommending the Focusrite.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim actually the 230 is the Broadcast version with transformers.

The 330 was the mastering version sans transformers.
Old 19th September 2005
Lives for gear

I own a RED 3 and it is a wonderful compressor. You can push it hard if you want but for the most part it is transparent but to me it has an identifiable sound once you work with it for a while. I have never really listened to Drawmer gear all that much, they always seemed more geared toward live sound reinforcement - but that is just my bias speaking.

You can get them on ebay for anywhere between a low of $1800 to $2100 - they are an oustanding deal on the used market. Cheers!
Old 19th September 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North
I own a RED 3 and it is a wonderful compressor. You can push it hard if you want but for the most part it is transparent but to me it has an identifiable sound once you work with it for a while.

i hear a distinct mid push in the 1-3k range, the whole thing has a nice 'sheen' to it. i like it on vocals and 2bus, not so much on drums.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 19th September 2005
Lives for gear

I never liked the Red very much... Not my taste I guess.
I do like the 1969 alot because it suits my mixing-style better. But hey... it's gonne be your decision, so try em both, and see what suits you best. You can't solve these things by a poll
Good luck!
Old 19th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
i hear a distinct mid push in the 1-3k range, the whole thing has a nice 'sheen' to it. i like it on vocals and 2bus, not so much on drums.

gregoire
del ubik

Sheen is actually a pretty accurate word to try and describe the sound - a very light sheen. I am not crazy about a Red 3 on Drums ( actually I never use it for that application) but is nice on a two bus.
Old 19th September 2005
Harmless Wacko

Boy.... can the sound of these things change depending on which version ya get.

Boy... can they be great/awful.

I've had my pair for 15 years and I still can't decide if I love 'em or hate 'em.

And the 2 of them sound/work entirely different from each other.

Example. The older one is great in mono apps. Dreadful in 'strapped' stereo situations(by and large). The newer on is exactly the opposite.

Go figure.

No wait.... maybe it's the other way around.... I'd hafta look at the backs of the units... Kill me.

Anyhoo. I think 'Thrill' is up to speed on the various revisions and whatnot, he might explain it AGAIN. HOHOHO. I can't remember from the last time.

Best regards,

SM.
Old 20th September 2005
Lives for gear

Awesome...thanks for all the great responses....Guy wants $1800 for the Red...is that decent enough to pull the trigger?

Again, thanks! thumbsup
Old 20th September 2005
Lives for gear

UUUUGGGGHHHHHH!

Damn it!!!
Sold today while I was in session!!!!

Oh well, you work, you lose...?

Back to the Drawmer I guess.
Old 20th September 2005
Lives for gear

I saw the same one you saw - $1800 is a really good price. You can generally find them in the $1800 to $2100 range on Ebay - just be patient they always show up sooner or later.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search