The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 527 Compressor!!!! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 31st August 2012
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshea14 View Post
Thanks guys.

What is that best 500 series comp for voice overs? Is the 527 good for that?
yes... I have not done vo in a while but ...for vo I will/would use a little comp going down... jsut to slow down the peaks a little ..then automate then hit a comp/limiter with it... PERSONALLY since the last comp is not downg the heavy lifting I love the 525 because of the punch.. but is it not what I wouild call natural .. the 527 can do a lot and still sound somewhat transparent. .. for me the key was doing some volume automation first
Old 1st September 2012
Gear Nut

Just a bump regarding the differences between the 527 and Tonelux. Anyone have both? Compare please!

I have a 527 and in my opinion, it's extremely versatile and powerful. It's surely a swiss army knife compressor. There's so much control, if you can't make it work on a source it just means you haven't spent enough time tweaking it. The whole line of API compressors is excellent ( 2500 and 225L ).
Old 1st September 2012
Lives for gear

Between the 527s, SSL board comps, 160s, and 1176/FET styles, I'm pretty happy. I'd like an LA2A, but I have an LA610, so I use that a lot for bass and vox. LA3A would be cool too.

JROD
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Nut

Bump

I'm trying to fill an Aphex 500 usb rack (accepts 4 modules)- I'm pretty new to the 500 series.

Current units in the rack are : Avedis MA5 (Feeding into an) API 525, and an API 512c

The MA5/525 will mostly be used on the Vocals and acoustics, and I'm looking for a versatile comp to pair up with the 512 for a different flavor / other instruments.

I have been considering/looking at the 527 as it gets great reviews as being a "Swiss-army comp" (which is very appealing as I currently have a limited setup at the moment) and also at the Neve 543 (also considered a versatile unit and most say its "hard to make it sound bad")

So I'm curious to hear if anyone else has opinions between those two - or if anyone has thoughts on what might be a good comp to add into my setup. I will be expanding eventually but gotta start somewhere! Prior to this I was mostly using FMR and Rane products. So far, very happy with my choice to upgrade!

I appreciate the help!

(now back to digging into old threads....)
Old 17th January 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by timx1386 View Post
Bump

I'm trying to fill an Aphex 500 usb rack (accepts 4 modules)- I'm pretty new to the 500 series.

Current units in the rack are : Avedis MA5 (Feeding into an) API 525, and an API 512c

The MA5/525 will mostly be used on the Vocals and acoustics, and I'm looking for a versatile comp to pair up with the 512 for a different flavor / other instruments.

I have been considering/looking at the 527 as it gets great reviews as being a "Swiss-army comp" (which is very appealing as I currently have a limited setup at the moment) and also at the Neve 543 (also considered a versatile unit and most say its "hard to make it sound bad")

So I'm curious to hear if anyone else has opinions between those two - or if anyone has thoughts on what might be a good comp to add into my setup. I will be expanding eventually but gotta start somewhere! Prior to this I was mostly using FMR and Rane products. So far, very happy with my choice to upgrade!

I appreciate the help!

(now back to digging into old threads....)
I have a 525 and 527 and the non 500 portico 5043 ... my 'vote' would be for the Portico and one of the API ( probably the 525) If I had to choose .. it is a different sound than the API ...glad I don't have to choose
Old 17th January 2014
IMHO, after owning them for almost two years, the 527 can be nicely punchy on drums, clean electric guitars, and sometimes on hip hop vocals.
But they are unbearable on sang vocals :( no matter what, they sound squashed. For me, they are always too evident, even when the meter shows 1db of gain reduction....
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbrain View Post
I have a 525 and 527 and the non 500 portico 5043 ... my 'vote' would be for the Portico and one of the API ( probably the 525) If I had to choose .. it is a different sound than the API ...glad I don't have to choose
Thanks Roger, yeah I already have the 512c, ma5 and 525. Sounds like the 543 would be more bring more to the toolbox than the 527 since I already have the 525.

In the long run, I'm sure you I cant' go too wrong with either one (and may eventually end up with both anyway as I keep expanding) but this investment will be the end of the budget for a while so that's the reason for trying to choose wisely.

@Prabha - I'm not too worried about finding something for vocals because I'll have the 525 to cover that territory. So I guess I'm looking for a Comp that "covers the ground the 525 doesn't"
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabha View Post
IMHO, after owning them for almost two years, the 527 can be nicely punchy on drums, clean electric guitars, and sometimes on hip hop vocals.
But they are unbearable on sang vocals :( no matter what, they sound squashed. For me, they are always too evident, even when the meter shows 1db of gain reduction....
I agree completely. I've been using the 527's for years and tried them on everything. They are (A) not my favorite compressors, and (B) they are the last thing I would use on a vocal.
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Nut

El_snap - do you have any experience with the Neve 543?
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Of Rupert Neve Designs comps I've only used the one in the portico 5015 module which I believe is quite similar to the 543. I remember being pleased with it, but only had a chance to use it on electric guitar.

The next 500-series comp that I'd really like to spend some time with is the new Crane Song Falcon! I was impressed with it at AES, but would hardly call the floor a critical listening environment.
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBugsy View Post
I have a 527 and in my opinion, it's extremely versatile and powerful. It's surely a swiss army knife compressor. There's so much control, if you can't make it work on a source it just means you haven't spent enough time tweaking it. The whole line of API compressors is excellent ( 2500 and 225L ).
I agree, but I'm sure the detractors have tried tweaking the compressor, Not everything is for everybody. If someone has lots of high end compressors, they may, or not need the 527, but for a good all around comp, I think it works well. And by that, I mean, really sweet sounding, a lot of the time.

527 not going to overhaul your source with character and change boring to not boring, but if you've got a good tone going, hopefully that's a given, it does a good job of polishing it up that last bit, with just a sprinkle of api fairy dust, to be technical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Snap
and (B) they are the last thing I would use on a vocal.
Wow, that's a stretch, imo. I'll grant you they're not an La2a, or Tube Tech, but I've had plenty of good use on vocals. To each his own, lots of choices, these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabha
Sang vocals covers a lot of ground, but this is interesting to me, as I don't find the 527 grabby, compared to other compressors. Again, not as smooth as some optos, but unbearable? Our bears differ. FWIW, for a nice forward, open vocal, I like old style, soft knee, no thrust, med attk, quickish release, adjust the rest.

But I'm sure you've tried this. When do you prefer old vs new? What's your go to voc comp? @El Snap, too.
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
But I'm sure you've tried this. When do you prefer old vs new? What's your go to voc comp? @El Snap, too.
Normally my main go-to for Vox is the CL1B.
I like the 527's on some bass and percussion instruments, I've also had decent results with acoustic guitar.

If someone needs a workhorse comp for multiple duties I always recommend the Distressors (wouldn't it be nice if there was a 500-series option for those?).
If someone is desperate to fill some extra 500 space then I honestly believe the money would be better spent on an extra preamp or EQ rather than the 527's.
Old 19th January 2014
Lives for gear

Up until know have not been able to master this puppy, I love it and it sounds freaking awesome except I can never get it quite right. It just seems to kill all the bass in my kick drums even with not so fast attack.
On what source material do you think this excels at? or it works on allot of sound sources?
Old 19th January 2014
Gear Maniac

when mixing, i use a pair on the stereo drum submix (OH, toms, hihat, room mics).
my kick and snare have their own channels.
the 527s do a great job for me in this role.
Old 9th February 2014
Here for the gear

Yeah the 527 is very usefull at getting a big transient on close drum mics.
Snappy!
Old 5th February 2015
QRS
Gear Maniac

i'm still loving the 527 compressors. using them with less gain reduction these days just to give a little more excitement on some tracks and making things more jumpy. still great for all sorts of guitars and keyboards, drums & percussion (acoustic/electric), brass sections, backround vocals etc. in single tracks or groups. for bass, lead vocals and masterbus i like other comps more.
Old 25th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRS View Post
i'm still loving the 527 compressors. using them with less gain reduction these days just to give a little more excitement on some tracks and making things more jumpy. still great for all sorts of guitars and keyboards, drums & percussion (acoustic/electric), brass sections, backround vocals etc. in single tracks or groups. for bass, lead vocals and masterbus i like other comps more.
I´m interested in buying the 527 pair, do you think it can work similarly to the 2500 as a 2 bus compressor?
Old 25th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
527 not going to overhaul your source with character and change boring to not boring, but if you've got a good tone going, hopefully that's a given, it does a good job of polishing it up that last bit, with just a sprinkle of api fairy dust, to be technical.
Words to live by for any compressor and for any pieces of gear really. I often kiss a 525 after the 527 for thicker dust particles.
Old 25th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloalcien View Post
I´m interested in buying the 527 pair, do you think it can work similarly to the 2500 as a 2 bus compressor?
I've had and used both in the past, wouldn't really recommend either for 2 bus. But if you're set on one of them then get the 2500.
Old 13th May 2016
Lives for gear

Cool thread.... Sorry to go on a tangent...
Curious to know what comps you guys may recommend for strictly acoustic guitars?
My options are the API 525 (old or new) and Tonelux tx5c?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search