The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony APR 24 Info Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 18th September 2005
Lives for gear

Sony APR 24 Info

I am looking at buying a Sony APR 24 tape machine. I have never had any experience with this machine (only used Studer and MCI in the past). Any thing to look out for with the machine? Anyone love it or hate it?

Thanks
Old 18th September 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelhead
Anyone love it or hate it?

Thanks

Definitely hate it or dislike it intensely.

Its where the rubber hits the road and it sounds like it.

I thought actually adats had a better sound.

Lets just say it doesn't sound like an analog machine.

Its good points are that it locks well to smpte and you can store your own tape settings.

Other than that...dfegad

Just an opinion.
Old 19th September 2005
Thrill is not exaggerating ...
I worked with a couple of those machines on some projects ...
slow, sloppy PITA transport
and the sound wasn't that good, I remember I hated using it

so I'd say overall it's pretty ---->
Old 19th September 2005
One with big hooves

And here I was thinking that the transport was ok and probably the best thing about the APR-24 when I read the post above.

Sonically, the bottom end is like a sponge & the top end is like a paper bag so overall it's pretty much poo. If you have a ton of different alignments coming through it's pretty slick to be able to store them and the auto-align is (IMO) as good as the A827, but the rest of the deck isn't anywhere near there. If you need all the built-in synch stuff it might be a lifesaver, but hell...even the post guys I've talked to say they miss the sound of the JH-24. I'm not going to agree with Thrill on the Adat comment, I'd rather have the APR.

Well...

Anywhoo.

About five years ago when I started shopping for a 2" deck I did some checking around on the Sonys and two things put me off before I was *lucky* enough to use one a few years later. Sony isn't supporting this deck anymore and there aren't a lot of spare parts for 'em floating around so if something breaks you're pretty much SOL. At least Studer and Otari are still around, Belvins deals with MCI, Mike Spitz can service Ampex etc. Also...probably the scarier thing was that I couldn't find a tech in the NYC area who knows the APR-24 in the same intimate way they know MCI's, Ampex and even 3M!!!

If you're hunting for 2" deck...I retired my JH-24 last year and it's been in a fairly cushy storage spot. Heads are at 70% or better, lots of extras including cabling, totally recapped and rebuilt! Hit me here = [email protected] and I'll send over the details.
Old 19th September 2005
Lives for gear

Had a great day: Tracking the top quality cats at Oceanway in LA on a Studer A-800 in amazing condition. Got great sounds and cut great tracks.

Had a bad day: Took them home and loaded them up on a Sony APR-24. Sounded mushy and veiled. Got really depressed. Called up a buddy at my old studio.

Had a better than great day: Put up the reels on a Studer 827 and they sounded almost exactly like they did in LA on the A-800.

All machines were in great condition. All machines were aligned to the tones on the real. The only difference was mainly the machine.

The Sony sounded like a toy!!!!!

I also can't really say that I agree with Trill. After spending 4 years trying to get an APR-24 to communicate properly with the Lynx systems I finally just realized that although it works it just doesn't work as well as most of the other machines. After talking with a bunch of guys at Timeline and also at Adam Smith they all said it had to do with Sony and their proprietary software in the unit.

Considering what used 800's and 827's are going for and like Jay said the fact they can still be repaired. I would pass.

Good luck,
Michael Greene
Old 20th June 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelhead View Post
I am looking at buying a Sony APR 24 tape machine. I have never had any experience with this machine (only used Studer and MCI in the past). Any thing to look out for with the machine? Anyone love it or hate it?

Hey my friend, i have a sony apr 24 and i love it, but i dont have anymore recording studio, if you are Interested in buy it, call me ( 7864442823) or write a mail. [email protected], thanks
Thanks
Thanks[/QUOTE]
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search