The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EQ with Character for Beats 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 16th September 2005
Gear Nut

EQ with Character for Beats

Can anyone recommend an EQ with character that works for electronic music? The budget on this piece could go as high as USD 1500. I have the transformerless Specks which are high quality but a bit too transparent. I would love to have two channels but if that's not possible, I guess I'd have to bounce tracks and live with the extra work.

You slutz have probably seen this question asked a million times so thanks for being patient.
Old 16th September 2005
Lives for gear

There's a company out of the UK that racks a pair of the old SSL 502 EQ's. I can't remember what their company name is, but I think that product may fall in your price range.

And the SSL EQ is always nice for Rhythmic trax.
Old 17th September 2005
Gear Guru

if you're willing to do $1500 for a single channel, one daking or one api 550b or 560 in a lunchbox are your most characterful and flexible options imo. if you're talking primarily beats, i'd do the 560, it's got serious meat on the low end, and you'll be under budget, and you'll only be $750 away from a second channel.

every one is a sweet way to go, and will sound vastly better than plugs, assuming you have obsessive engineering ears like the rest of us... which seems like a safe assumption, given your willingness to spend $1500 on one channel of eq .

gregoire
del ubik
Old 17th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier777c
There's a company out of the UK that racks a pair of the old SSL 502 EQ's. I can't remember what their company name is, but I think that product may fall in your price range.

That would be AudioJunkie - SSL 502 Rack

Old 17th September 2005
Lives for gear

That's the one . . . Audiojunkie.

. . . looks like nice sturdy casing they rack the units in.
Old 17th September 2005
eqs

amek 9098 might be too clean.. maybe not. I know Ritchie Hawtin was raving about them.. for whatever reason they've sort of fallen off the radar and can be had pretty cheap these days.

or maybe one of those focusrite ISA110 modules...

the API 10 banders were cool on kick drums.. you'd probably want to have one of those around... and maybe a summit eqp for that fake pultec sheen.
Old 17th September 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier777c

Without the filters the SSL EQ sounds totally different and is not as useful.

The 5000 series didn't thave them.

Part of the reason the console never took off.
Old 17th September 2005
Lives for gear

SuperNova,
I have a pair of Langevin/Manley Pultec EQP1-A's that I think I'm going to be selling, as I've got a boatload of new gear on the way. PM or e-mail me at [email protected] if you're interested.
TommyD

http://www.manleylabs.com/containerp...ngeqp1a99.html
Old 17th September 2005
another ssl 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogWai
That would be AudioJunkie - SSL 502 Rack

also "Recycled Audio"
you also need the preamp, the eq is an insert on that.
Old 17th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Without the filters the SSL EQ sounds totally different and is not as useful.

The 5000 series didn't thave them.

Part of the reason the console never took off.

How were the dynamics on those 5000 consoles? Were the channel compressors as good as the 4000 series and later?
Old 17th September 2005
Gear Maniac

We've had some success with the old valve TL Audio Indigo Eq or Ch strip (the blue series) for adding a bit of grit and character to loops and beats. Though not a quiet unit, if you can find one, give it a try. Hear if that works for you. If your looking for character, you don''t neccesarily have to hunt for the more expensive outboard out there.
Old 17th September 2005
Lives for gear

API 560
Old 17th September 2005
Lives for gear

are you sure you need an EQ?

in the past months i had really great results fattening my drums (100% programmed jazzy electronic broken beat stuff) with the el fatso.

you could still use the speck EQs for frequency balancing and then go into the fatso do dial in some "meat".

the distortion/saturation sounds just awesome, the hi freq "warmth" control is really useful to make the hihats sound less sharp and edgy, the "tranny" circuit might add extra low mid power. and last not least the unit's compressor to my ears sounds great if it's not driven too hard. you hardly ever could go wrong with 1-3 db of gain reduction in "buss"-comp mode.

afaik the unit sells for a little more than 1500 in the usa. but it's stereo and in my opinion it's well worth the money.
in the past years i have tried many tools to fatten the drums i'm programming ITB, but i found nothing coming that close to my wishes as the fatso does - at least not for this amount of money. i think the fatso is quite cheap for what it does.
Old 18th September 2005
Gear Nut

I told you to get a Fatso biatch!
Old 18th September 2005
Lives for gear

I would go for a pair of Amek 9098, i produce mainly electronic music and i think that they are very useful on various samples, loops, sounds etc. If i have a lousy loops or a bad samples Ameks can do wonders (in combination with Distressors). I mixed a whole album (released on Sony/BMG worldwide)processing original tracks from the artist (some samples were really bad) channel by channel with Ameks and EL8s recording them back in ITB and it came out fabolous.

regards,

Gregor Z
http://homepage.mac.com/gregorzemljic
Old 18th September 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate
afaik the unit sells for a little more than 1500 in the usa. but it's stereo and in my opinion it's well worth the money.
Actually, the Fatso is going for $2200 in the US

Or if you're in the UK you'll pay a tad over £2000
Old 18th September 2005
Gear Head

Dude, I wouldn't worry about the EQ putting character into the beats, it's YOU that's got to do the work. Hell, if you want character just use any old EQ you have laying around, and do some insane boosting. That's character. Typically, when people talk about character (and I don't think I caught which "character" you were after) in beats, they're talking about compression or distortion.

Or EQ.

Har.

Empirical Labs? Who are they again?
Old 18th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Bird

Empirical Labs? Who are they again?

The guys that make butter??
Old 18th September 2005
Gear Head

Oh, thanks.
Old 19th September 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks guys for the ideas.

Happy Bird, I have done a lot of work running loops and beats through the EQs on my GL2200 and two analog filters. I also get some nice distortion from my Joemeek SC2 which I have on my drum bus. I don't just sit there and have a snooze on the console! Ask Mr Victory...

That said, too much boosting on cheap EQs can sound harsh - hence the idea for this thread. I have also noticed the difference in "character" running signals through quality gear. Mr Victory lent me his TG Channel and even running things flat, you immediately noticed the warmth. It was very hard giving that piece back...

Mr Victory, I saw a fellow slut selling a FATSO but it went fast. I guess if you snooze, you lose.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search