The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
User comments on Buzz SSA1.1 or MA2.2 pres? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 16th September 2005
User comments on Buzz SSA1.1 or MA2.2 pres?

Any comments on the Buzz gear?
Their ARC Channel Strip looks nice and they offer 2 different stereo mic pres.
What are the dufferences between the SSA1.1 and the MA2.2?
Old 16th September 2005
Lives for gear

Although I have both within reach I have not yet done a direct comparisson of the two :

The SSA has dedicated high impedance (instruments) inputs which I believe are a seperate circuit alltogether from the mic pre inputs.

The MA is a Mic pre.

Now as for sound, The MA is pure, clean, transparent and extremely musical. I find it to translate very dynamic sources extremely well. Stuff like winds or classical guitar, strings .... It sounds clear yet smooth. It doesn't get harsh or agressive in the high mids and highs for example. Something I find a problem with a lot of so called 'clean transparent' cheaper pre's. I recorded a bowed double bass with it at some point and it proved to handle bass extremely well too. Again .... Clear but not thin sounding. Nice round full sound for bass. I haven't used it on everything yet but I doubt there's something it doesn't handle well. It IS a very high end Mic Pre.

The SSA is a different beast alltogether I believe.It uses some of the same components found in the MA and although in another price range I doubt that it is all that much less in quality (and if any probably subjective) but like I said ... I should refrain from any real comments because I haven't compared the 2. I do know some people who use the ARC however, which has the same pre inside and they love it.
Old 16th September 2005
Lives for gear

MA2.2 owner here - sorry, I can't comment on the SSA 1.1, but the MA2.2 gets a lot of use here: clean, big, opulent sound - I liken to John Hardy or similar, but I often prefer it over the Hardy for vox and OH's. To each their own - I tried it (direct from Tim @ Buzz) before purchasing, and I never returned it - go figger!

Tim makes good gear, even tho there are a few naysayers, ask around here - almost anyone who's ever heard or tried Tim's designs goes back for seconds, so....

best in the quest,
Old 16th September 2005
Lives for gear

well I compared the 2 a little while ago (though only shortly) I was looking for a High end pre and a ARC came along with the MA2.2 - so I compared both pres a bit.
If you're looking for a High End Pre the MA2.2 is the way to go. Chris said everything that has to be said - the Pre in the ARC (=SSA) is a very nice pre. I thought it ressembled a bit the Daking pre (which is a nice pre on his own). I really like it on electric guitar/snare. The high end didn't sound as "fast" as the MA; but the MA is the fastest pre I know.

both are really good on their own

So BUY booth heh

Jo
Old 16th September 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo
well I compared the 2 a little while ago (though only shortly) I was looking for a High end pre and a ARC came along with the MA2.2 - so I compared both pres a bit.
If you're looking for a High End Pre the MA2.2 is the way to go. Chris said everything that has to be said - the Pre in the ARC (=SSA) is a very nice pre. I thought it ressembled a bit the Daking pre (which is a nice pre on his own). I really like it on electric guitar/snare. The high end didn't sound as "fast" as the MA; but the MA is the fastest pre I know.

both are really good on their own

So BUY booth heh

Jo

Good summary Jo. On the Daking vs SSA1.1 (as a point of reference for those who have heard the Daking but not the Buzz), to my ears the SSA1.1 isn't as pronounced in the upper mids as the Daking, and the SSA1.1 has a little more emphasis in the lows and low mids as compared to the Daking (especially with the Sowter option on the SSA1.1). They both have a relatively clean vibe to my ears, slightly 'euphonic' but not heavily colored.
Old 17th September 2005
Excellent posting.
A pleasure reading all of your colorful descriptions.
True gentleman. Not one flame, hijack or negative comment.
Appreciated.
Old 19th September 2005
I already own the following:

Cranesong Flamingo
API 512c (2)
Focusrite ISA 430
Avalon 2022
Avalon 737 (2)
Avalon U5 (2)

Will the "color" of the Buzz stuff bring something to the table or tend to be redundant
given what I already have?
The Chandler TG-2 is also calling my name.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search