The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
u 47 fet vs u 47 on vocals Condenser Microphones
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear

u 47 fet vs u 47 on vocals

I know I need to hear them for myself & observe the differences in frequency and color... but have been reading here about how, even though similar in name, the 47fet sounds quite a bit different than the u47 tube mic -- Curious specifically about how the two mics sound different in micing of vocals.

Although it is great on some, not a huge fan of a u67 or clones such as a mojave ma-200 mic on my vocals. Is a u 47 more like a 67 than a 47 fet (as far as their boosts in the highs, etc)? Would a 47fet be warmer than the u47? (I really dig an sm7 on my voice, but am looking for another option and am wondering, which might work better for me). I know I just need to experiment with these mics, but any expertise and description of frequency hypes/attenuations and color differentiations between a u47 tube and u47 fet would be very, very helpful.

Thanks so much!!

An engineer recommended I pick up a Wunder CM7 FET -- Anyone put these on vocals?

This engineer was working on a record being put out by Domino that a friends' band was tracking. This studio they were in was full of old Neumann mics. Trying to save up to get a Wunder some day.
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GANGI View Post
I know I need to hear them for myself & observe the differences in frequency and color... but have been reading here about how, even though similar in name, the 47fet sounds quite a bit different than the u47 tube mic -- Curious specifically about how the two mics sound different in micing of vocals.

Although it is great on some, not a huge fan of a u67 or clones such as a mojave ma-200 mic on my vocals. Is a u 47 more like a 67 than a 47 fet (as far as their boosts in the highs, etc)? Would a 47fet be warmer than the u47? (I really dig an sm7 on my voice, but am looking for another option and am wondering, which might work better for me). I know I just need to experiment with these mics, but any expertise and description of frequency hypes/attenuations and color differentiations between a u47 tube and u47 fet would be very, very helpful.

Thanks so much!!

An engineer recommended I pick up a Wunder CM7 FET -- Anyone put these on vocals?

A u47 will be "warmer" that a u47 Fet. You're comparing tubes to transistors. The u47 will seem thicker, creamier, and smoother. The FET has a faster rise and fall time transient response, which may not necessarily be a good thing for vocals. Tubes also tend to have more even order harmonics when they distort compared to transistors which also sounds more pleasing to most people. Hope this helps.
Old 9th October 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinoctober View Post
A u47 will be "warmer" that a u47 Fet. You're comparing tubes to transistors. The u47 will seem thicker, creamier, and smoother. The FET has a faster rise and fall time transient response, which may not necessarily be a good thing for vocals. Tubes also tend to have more even order harmonics when they distort compared to transistors which also sounds more pleasing to most people. Hope this helps.
thumbsupthumbsup

Add "bigger, and euphonic" and I think we will have it covered. In the past, when all varieties of 47's were available in most studios, very rarely would a FET version of a 47 ever be put up for a vocal over a tubed version. There was a reason. But now, with the tube versions in short supply, and people don't have actual hands on experience, said people seem to gravitate towards ANYTHING that has those 2 numbers in it. heh

PS - to the OP - FET is not bigger or warmer. Just different.
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks. For kick... the u47 tube might distort and that's why the 47 fet is usually used on kick? Do you guys ever put a u47 tube mic on the outside of a kick?

(not that i'd be anywhere close to being able to afford a real neumann -- but thinking about if we were to rent out some studio time on the late night that would have neumanns and/or neumann clones)
Old 10th October 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Do you guys ever put a u47 tube mic on the outside of a kick?
heh heh Nope. I never tried it. But then again, I don't have them laying around to be used in whatever position I want. Give it a go though. Maybe start a new trend. thumbsup
Old 10th October 2009
There was a recent Mix magazine article about the recording of R.E.M.'s Reckoning (specifically the song "South Central Rain") where Don Dixon mentioned that Michael Stipe sang through a U47 FET (probably on the whole record, but certainly on that song) through an 1176. You might give that a listen to just get a general idea about the sound of the mic on vocals. (Keeping in mind that Stipe has a remarkable and unusual voice!).
Old 10th October 2009
Quote:
Thanks. For kick... the u47 tube might distort and that's why the 47 fet is usually used on kick? Do you guys ever put a u47 tube mic on the outside of a kick?
I think that for the Price of a u47, I would never, ever put it on a kick (I'd be scared to blow up the capsule).
Old 11th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
I think that for the Price of a u47, I would never, ever put it on a kick (I'd be scared to blow up the capsule).
47fet on kick is great. it's my de facto mic for kick and if you don't like my opinion, then perhaps you'll appreciate it from andy johns who showed me the trick.
Old 11th October 2009

I've got both and to me the fet sounds kinda boxy on vocals. I do prefer the fet on stand up bass though.
Old 11th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
ya i've seen that done. sounds great.
Old 11th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVP View Post
I own the Wunder Audio CM7 (I've compared it to a few vintage u47's from around town. Sounds amazing!!) and a vintage U47 fet. For my taste, there is no contest. The U47 tube (CM7) is much more suited to vocals then the FET. Everytime I try the fet on vocals everyone in the room is quick to try the next mic. It never comes close in a mic shootout. Always dead last.

The FET is alway parked in front of the kick drum. Every now and then it's is on the AC30.
When the FET came out the studio I used at the time had just gotten theirs. I couldn't wait to try it....my engineer said.."You're not gonna like it..." but I insisted. We tried it on a great female pop singer and it sounded like a sock was over the mic.

Flash forwards many years, and after hearing Michelle Branch on "Everywhere" I got in touch with one of the guys who did the session and said "Hey do you know what she sang through?"

"Yeah it was a 47 FET", he said.

So go figure.

TH
Old 5th October 2014
Lives for gear

Anyone using the FET 47 on vocals these days?
Old 5th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark View Post
Wait until after AES and I'm sure you'll find a few...
Old 6th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
I use a Voxorama 47 on kick, about 3-4" from the outer shell with a Blast Pad in front of it. Depending on the pre I might have to pad it down. Sounds very, very good.
Old 6th October 2014
Lives for gear

The vox is a piece of art
Old 2nd November 2014
I tried my tube 47 on kick when it was a lighter jazzy thing. While it had plenty of info harmonically, and took to eq pretty well, I still wouldn't choose it over my much less expensive and better sounding re20 to my chandler tg2

On vocals the 47 is unreal through the 4-710d. Super smooth and rich.

I've never tried the u47 fet.
Old 2nd November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use fet 47 on vocals quite often. I find that mic to be very versatile. Can't seem to find anything that it can't do...
Old 3rd November 2014
Lives for gear

I'm using my Cathedral Pipes St Jean Baptiste (FET 47 style) on vocals now. I run it into my API 512C. I love it! It's actually quite natural sounding.
Old 3rd November 2014
To my ears, here's the short version:

- 47 fet has way higher headroom. It can take louder signals with a bit more grace. That said, I don't think that'll be an issue for most vocalists. 47 fet also tends to be a bit "thicker" sounding. Might sound darker to some ears. To me, it's a bit denser in the low mids, but not in a "warm" way, per se. By the way, I hate the term "warm". Anywho, the 47 fet tends to feel a bit less-balanced to my ears. Others' mileage may vary.

- tube 47 will be a bit more open, with a noticeably better top end and upper midrange. Where the 47 fet might tend to fall into the back of the soundstage a bit, the tube 47 will sit in front a little more (all without sounding particularly bright or hard). Tube 47 has a better-balanced frequency range, with a nice, lush midrange and bright but soft top end.
Old 3rd November 2014
Lives for gear

So, overall, which do you think would be the go-to?
Old 3rd November 2014
Lives for gear

I can't imagine anyone choosing the FET over a U47.

TH
Old 3rd November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post

TH
Agreed. Unless you're putting it in front of a bass drum or something, the u47 is gonna win over the fet most times.
Old 3rd November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, overall, which do you think would be the go-to?
U47 every time. The VF14M tube. The proximity effect is wonderful to work with. If you have not experimented with getting right up on that thing you don't know what you're missing!
Old 3rd November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post

TH
Seemed to work OK for this record

James Hetfield recording Enter Sandman - YouTube
Old 3rd November 2014
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheinz View Post

Yeah but that album only sold 16 million copies so...whatevs.

War
Old 3rd November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheinz View Post

Obviously they had no access to a real U47.
Old 3rd November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Obviously they had no access to a real U47.

If only...they had used a tube long body...Dam!They blew it.
Old 3rd November 2014
Lives for gear

OK, so 'splain it like i'm five-years-old... Why reissue the non-preferred U47 instead of the grail tube model? I'm guessing the tube version must not be able to be remade (or at least Neumann doesn't believe so) due to unacceptable modern equivalents of vintage components. Yes?
Old 3rd November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash View Post
due to unacceptable modern equivalents of vintage components. Yes?
Mostly yes. Mainly the VF14M tube. There are countless threads on this but the general consensus is that there is no replacement and can never be for various reasons.

That is one of the reasons why the U47 fet was introduced.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search