The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The best Pultec copy? Equalisers (HW)
Old 12th May 2003
Lives for gear

The best Pultec copy?

Hi;

I'm wondering who makes the best copy of my favorite eq, the Pultec. The Manley Enhanced Pultec looks real cool, but I've never had the pleasure of using one. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

M-O-M.
Old 12th May 2003
Re: The best Pultec copy?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mind-Over-Midi
Hi;

I'm wondering who makes the best copy of my favorite eq, the Pultec. The Manley Enhanced Pultec looks real cool, but I've never had the pleasure of using one. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

M-O-M.
Nobody does.

And i've used just about everyone(Summit,Manley,Tubetech and others).

Nothing beats the real thing.

The above EQ's are still useful though, but they just don't sound the same.
Old 12th May 2003
One with big hooves

I have Summit EQP-200B. It ain't a Pultec but it has that general vibe and is pretty damn cool. It's also way less $$ then a Pultec.
Old 12th May 2003
Lives for gear

I had a pair of Manley matched mastering pultecs... I sold them

I know they are not the real deal and they were minus the transformers and are he mastering versions which i am lead to beeleive are a bit tamer. But just for the price and the sound they didnt give me a big woody and didnt make **** go BAM! like a real one does. YMMV but mine certainly did! having said that though it was built like a tank which allways gets kudos in my book

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 12th May 2003
Gear Addict

I wasn't all that impressed with the Manley but I thought the TubeTech was pretty cool so I bought it. A few months later I got a genuine unit and immediately A/B'd the two. To my surprise I was amazed at how close the TubeTech really was. The PE-1C is a great device.

The disclaimer to this story is that I'm not sure what shape the genuine Pultec was in but the TubeTech kept up with it nicely. All this means **** if the Pultec was not running at optimum performance level.

Although I generally dislike plug-ins, BF's Pultec was pretty cool too.
Old 12th May 2003
Anybody here ever play with the EAR 'pultec'?
Old 12th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Blackwood
Or the LANGEVIN???
Old 12th May 2003
Lives for gear

Brad,

my guess would be that the EAR has all the technically good qualities of a Pultec, without hat funky upper-bass phase thing we all love. everything tim makes is incredible, but pristine.

To answer the original question, have you guys not heard of Mercury Magnetics?

http://mercury-rec.com/

Go to their website and drool a little.
They make a dead-on copy. Trannies, filter, inductors, etc. Only $2495 list, which seems like a bargain to me.

I kinda' wish they had added a few extra center-frequencies, esp in the LF, but you gotta' love the thing as is.

Hey Jules, if you're still mixing analog, (foolish mortal) check out their model 66 Limiting Amplifier. YOWSA! If I had one of those, I'd mix analog me-self. Now where'd I put that 1" 2-track Ampex?.....
Old 12th May 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Blackwood
Hi Brad,

The answer is yes.

Not the same, but still useful(great on vocals). I was tempted to keep it. It was either the EQ or the comp. I kept the comp.

We also tried the Fairman EQ.

Great on mix material(liked it better than the EAR).

We ordered one.

I haven't tried the DW Fearn EQ though, but have been dying to. It looks to be a little bit more flexible than the EAR in the mids,which to me would make it an ideal vocal EQ.

But nothing to me compares to a Pultec especially on bass and kick.

Nothing.
Old 12th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Hi Brad,

The answer is yes.

Not the same, but still useful(great on vocals). I was tempted to keep it. It was either the EQ or the comp. I kept the comp.

We ordered one.

I haven't tried the DW Fearn EQ though, but have been dying to. It looks to be a little bit more flexible than the EAR in the mids,which to me would make it an ideal vocal EQ.

Nothing.
That's exactly what I'm looking for, that pultec vibe on the bass, and kick! Alas, no "real" Pultec money though, also I prefer new gear whenever possible. I'll check out the EAR, Manley, Mercury, Fairman, and DW Fearn, They all look like good candidates.

Thanks

M-O-M.
Old 12th May 2003
One with big hooves

Don't rule out the Summit either. I picked up mine used for $1500, and it's two channels. The one time I used the Langevin Pultec I remember liking it more then the Manley version. Go figure. Also, a Lang PEQ-2 can be pretty cool. They were the original Pultec clone and have more freqs. then the originals. The 120hz boost with 80hz cut on bass can be ungodly. YMMV.
Old 12th May 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Mind-Over-Midi
That's exactly what I'm looking for, that pultec vibe on the bass, and kick! Alas, no "real" Pultec money though, also I prefer new gear whenever possible. I'll check out the EAR, Manley, Mercury, Fairman, and DW Fearn, They all look like good candidates.

Thanks

M-O-M.
If its a money issue than you can count the EAR,DW Fearn and Fairman out of the running.

I think that leaves you with the Manley and the Mercury.
Old 13th May 2003
Gear Maniac

Over here in Oz is a company (er, well 1 guy infact) called JLM Audio. They make a passive eq, pultec, thingy which is a lovely bit of kit.
http://www.jlmaudio.com/passiveeq.htm
I own one and absolutely love it. Um, It's not a total pultec copy though, it's got a few extra frequencies and has a solid state class A make-up amp instead of a valve one.
I've never used a real pultec, but I really dig the JLM one.
my 2c.
H.
Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

The Tub Tech is the best. It's a little more quiet than the original, but you don't lose any of the juice on bass (which is pretty much it's staple use). The manleys failed imho. They sound good, but if I have been handed the manley unit without a nameplate, I wouldn't have guessed it was based on the pultec. The Summit joint is tight, but it sounded more like the silverface pultec which is better suited for mid range eqing. It also sounds good on vocals, mostly backgrounds.
Old 13th May 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
The Tub Tech is the best. It's a little more quiet than the original, but you don't lose any of the juice on bass (which is pretty much it's staple use). The manleys failed imho. They sound good, but if I have been handed the manley unit without a nameplate, I wouldn't have guessed it was based on the pultec. The Summit joint is tight, but it sounded more like the silverface pultec which is better suited for mid range eqing. It also sounds good on vocals, mostly backgrounds.
You know its funny, i hated the Tubetechs(I had the B,C and the mid). Got rid of them all.

And i thought they were way overpriced.

I do agree the Summit works well on vocals(I think in a way they all do).

The Manley works sometimes on kicks and snares(not my first choice though).
Old 13th May 2003
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Hi Brad,

The answer is yes.

We ordered one.

Nothing.
Hi Thrillfactor,
could you give a bit more insight on the Fairman (on mixes) as it is usually difficult to get a demo unit to play around and compare (to EAR and Manley). What's your experience with the unit?
Old 13th May 2003
I have 2 x Pultec C models.. They get used rarely at present, when they do, it's mostly for adding HF "sparkle" + sub to drum submixes..some kick & bass duties too..
Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

PE1C seems to be the best solution for the dollars...even if it was the same...the glow of a $$4500 EQP outshines it
Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
The one time I used the Langevin Pultec I remember liking it more then the Manley version. Go figure.
Humn...
I've heard that before. That's why I asked about the Langevin earlier......

So the absence of tubes makes the Langevin sound better than the Manley...?!?! (cause that's the only difference isn't it?)heh

But does the Langevin do the kick/bass magic????thumbsup
Old 14th May 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Riccardo
Hi Thrillfactor,
could you give a bit more insight on the Fairman (on mixes) as it is usually difficult to get a demo unit to play around and compare (to EAR and Manley). What's your experience with the unit?
Hi Ricardo,

I only tried it out for a day.

It was actually my partner(who is now a Fairman dealer) who was checking it out(he also does mastering and sells audiophile gear).

For a while I was using the Massive Passive on the mix(and sometimes still do) and wanted to try something else.

He told me about this unit and asked me to check it out.

Man was i blown away. It sounds huge!!!! Just running a mix through it with no processing made it sound better. And the EQ is sweet. Great control. You can feel it with the knobs where the designer took lots of care in its design. I used to have a cool Corvetter once, but i guess using this EQ is like driving a Porsche. The looks plus the ergonomics!!

Not many EQ's in my encounters can blow the Massive out of the water, but this one definitely did. Of course it comes with a price(and a super steep one!!!).

But if i had the money, this one would definitely be in my rack.
Old 14th May 2003
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Hi Ricardo,

I only tried it out for a day.

It was actually my partner(who is now a Fairman dealer) who was checking it out(he also does mastering and sells audiophile gear).

For a while I was using the Massive Passive on the mix(and sometimes still do) and wanted to try something else.

He told me about this unit and asked me to check it out.

Man was i blown away. It sounds huge!!!! Just running a mix through it with no processing made it sound better. And the EQ is sweet. Great control. You can feel it with the knobs where the designer took lots of care in its design. I used to have a cool Corvetter once, but i guess using this EQ is like driving a Porsche. The looks plus the ergonomics!!

Not many EQ's in my encounters can blow the Massive out of the water, but this one definitely did. Of course it comes with a price(and a super steep one!!!).

But if i had the money, this one would definitely be in my rack.
Thanks Thrillfactor!
I will have to save a bit more cash but......if it blows the Massive out of the water....wow! Gotta have it! Already dreaming about it!heh
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

So how much IS the fairman?

hammer: the JLM looks mighty tasty -but are they tube or transistor make-up amps?
Old 14th May 2003
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker

hammer: the JLM looks mighty tasty -but are they tube or transistor make-up amps?
Fairman TMEQ is almost 6 grand here in U.K.
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

Anyone have any comments on the Bombfactory Pultec EQ for ProTools?... I haven't been able to try the demo, but would be interested in comments...
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:

Great, Tubey, and soooooooo expensive ...
Old 14th May 2003
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kris
Anyone have any comments on the Bombfactory Pultec EQ for ProTools?... I haven't been able to try the demo, but would be interested in comments...
Kris,
I personally like it. It is a nice plug. Not the real thing obviously but if you are mixing in Pro Tools and do not have access to outboard Eq you have to have it (together with Waves RenEq and the Sony for different flavours). Sweet and useful on guitars, kick, sometimes vocals and also on the buss. As with all things it is a matter of personal taste. Try to get a demo if you can.
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

The BF Pultec is better than nothing, for sure. However, I have used the UAD Pultec on a friend's pc system, and it Kicked butt by comparison. Of course, since it was a different DAW it's hard to judge, but the beta guys for UA-Protools are saying the same thing right now. Supposedly it is about to be released, so I'd wait and see.

I assume you have heard by now how good the new MDW eq is. -It doesn't do that Pultecy phase-bump thing, of course, but I HIGHLY recommend putting it on your "must have" list.

Back to the Fairman:

Is that 6,000 POUNDs or dollars? (or Euros?)
Is this a stereo unit for that much?
Is there an url where I can check it out?
Old 14th May 2003
Quote:

Back to the Fairman:

Is that 6,000 POUNDs or dollars? (or Euros?)
Is this a stereo unit for that much?
Is there an url where I can check it out?
When i checked it out it was around $7500 US dollars.

It is a stereo mastering EQ.

www.fairman.dk
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

That was fast! thanks.

BTW: those of you who mentioned Manley seem to be always speaking of the Massive-Passive. I agree that this is too clinical for kick and bass, though very sweet for a little HF boost on a vocal. Has anyone tried the Manley "tube enhanced" Pultec?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search