The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I just bought a Calrec S2.......
Old 7th October 2009
Gear Nut

I just bought a Calrec S2.......

When I woke up this morning I didn't think I'd be buying a large frame console, but then it happened. I went to an auction and bought a 60 input console for basically nothing. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience on a Calrec S2? I'm also starting to gather info so I can figure what to do next. Any and all help would be wonderful! Thanks
Old 8th October 2009
Gear Nut

Guess not then.
Old 8th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Muir View Post
When I woke up this morning I didn't think I'd be buying a large frame console, but then it happened. I went to an auction and bought a 60 input console for basically nothing. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience on a Calrec S2? I'm also starting to gather info so I can figure what to do next. Any and all help would be wonderful! Thanks
Hi

They are still in business...

Calrec Audio: Products

You might want to check with them re spares and support.

PS You might try waiting 24 hours rather than 3.5 hours for a reply... this is an international site!
Old 8th October 2009
Lives for gear

Was this the one on Ebay UK?

I was so tempted to bid as it went for a steal.. £4K..

Only i have no where to put the damn thing!!!

Wiggy
Old 8th October 2009
Gear Nut

Sent you a PM..
Old 13th October 2009
Gear Nut

This one was not on Ebay it was a liquidation auction that I was lucky enough to have been called about. I got it for a song. I'm in the middle of trying to locate some of the cabling for the power supply at the moment, I've got some good leads so far. I can't wait to hear it!! It's kinda drivin me nuts waiting. I'll post some updates when they happen! Go Calrec!!

MM
Old 13th October 2009
Lives for gear

Just call calrec.. they have been exceptionally helpful to me in the past..

ie mailing REAL re-printed schematics to me on the otherside of the world for FREE.. cant bitch about that !

Wiggy
Old 13th October 2009
Led
Lives for gear

Matt Syson, who used to be in the Geekslutz section but I haven't seen much lately, has done a stack of work for Calrec, he is the man. Maybe try pm'ing him.
Old 13th October 2009
Lives for gear

Fab desks. Get it fully serviced (if need be) and you will be laughing!
Old 19th October 2009
Gear Nut

I can't wait to get this mutha up and running.
Old 20th October 2009
Gear Nut

C'mon!! Lets have a look at it?? We're all slutz here!!
Post a pic for a friend in need!!
Old 20th October 2009
Lives for gear

So doc....

You got your beauty up and running yet?

Dont be shy now we've had a few good discussions about them!

Wiggy
Old 20th October 2009
Gear Nut

Here's a picture of the desk on the truck. I'm waiting on some money to come in and also waiting to hear back from the company that I bought it from. They said they could locate the cabling for the power supplies. That would be huge if they can. If not I'd have to get them from Calrec I suppose. I'm sure that would not be cheap. The technical manual alone from them is 500bucks. More info to come.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
I just bought a Calrec S2.......-7230_1230177547337_1016053460_724793_1940555_n.jpg  
Old 20th October 2009
Gear Nut

Wiggy!! Up and running as of a few weeks ago.. Just got to sort the direct outs and the rest of the patch bay.. Getting there. The pic is from a few months ago. The idea's right though..
Right.. Lets see this S2!!!
Attached Thumbnails
I just bought a Calrec S2.......-control-room-1.jpeg  
Old 20th October 2009
Gear Nut

Cabling and PSU's would be a BIG help.. The desk looks great!!
Although expensive, Calrec are very forthcoming with info that you may need.. Between Matt, Gareth & Calrec I'm sure you'll get it working..
Old 20th October 2009
Lives for gear

Doc... awesome.. PM me more details.. may have to visit next time back home!

Wiggy
Old 20th October 2009
Lives for gear

Re: Cabling for power supply

Quote:
This one was not on Ebay it was a liquidation auction that I was lucky enough to have been called about. I got it for a song. I'm in the middle of trying to locate some of the cabling for the power supply at the moment, I've got some good leads so far. I can't wait to hear it!! It's kinda drivin me nuts waiting. I'll post some updates when they happen! Go Calrec!!

MM
Don't know if this is what you are looking for but I have 50' of this left over from a Soundcraft power supply build.

SAB Brockskes D-Virersen 02810510 5 X 1.0mm CC 600 CP 18 AWG/5
02811805 AWM Style 2106080 degC 600V etc etc.

Yes, all of that is on the cable. So basically it's a 5 conductor (one being ground) 18 AWG rated at 600Volts....it's what Soundcraft uses for their poer supply lead.
Old 20th October 2009
Lives for gear

Hi
The S2 is 'after my time' but there will be some similarities with their earlier work.
I think these are mostly surface mount technology but could be wrong.
Power cables are not 'magical.' but getting hold of some connectors can be a bit tricky.
Their older desks used cannon EP series (round, like overgrown XLR) but these are not so easy to come by so you may be looking at some MIL standard types.
Cable is looking at cross section basically as voltage and temp ratings are not important.
The older desks did not use remote sensing on the supplies so this simplified things but if it uses multiple supplies with diode 'mixing' then all cables for 'audio' supply for example should be the same length to ensure current sharing.
See also analogconsoles.com under the Calrec section
Matt S
Old 22nd October 2009
Here for the gear

Fellow Calrec Owner

I also own a Calrec desk, mine isn't as large as yours though. My console is a similar brown so I assume the consoles will have very similar tone. I have a 28 input 8 buss console from about 1985. Its all Lundahl transformers in and out and I love it!!! The desk is fairly clean and really tight. It will give any SSL a run for its money. The pres are good, my partner compared a ton of 500 pres and likened them to the Great River pres, while the GR aren't my favorite they are definitely better than many other options. My desk also has 8 compressors and I'm sure a 60 input must have a few too. They really aren't the most fun compressors you will ever hear but they are clean and do a good job of limiting dynamics when that is what you are looking for.

Over all I have found the desk to be pretty reliable though we are having a problem with the pots and I have no clue where to get new ones. If anyone has any clue where to get pots for an 85 calrec PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know.

If you have any questions send them off. I don't really come on here too often but I will get back with you when I do.
Old 22nd October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's a picture of the desk on the truck. I'm waiting on some money to come in and also waiting to hear back from the company that I bought it from. They said they could locate the cabling for the power supplies. That would be huge if they can. If not I'd have to get them from Calrec I suppose. I'm sure that would not be cheap. The technical manual alone from them is 500bucks. More info to come.

Matt
WHOA dude Ive seen Calrecs go for a pretty penny on ebay, looks like you scored
Old 23rd October 2009
Lives for gear

Nice console, I see a Calrec in my future one day!
Old 23rd October 2009

Good luck

This should sound good!
Old 27th September 2017
Here for the gear

Hi does anyone have the circuits for either PQ4069 or BQ4070 Stereo module?A college here at work has put them somewhere where I can't find them. I replace the surface mount caps on these boards.
Nic

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search