The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
valley people compressors
Old 11th May 2003
Gear Addict

valley people compressors

Hallo

What do yall think of the valley people compressors. I have an opportunity to pick up 4 in a rack with a couple of gates for 500$

Is the compressor worth it?
Marsh
Old 11th May 2003
Gear Maniac

I used the dynamite once on room mics with really great results, but I can't say I've had the chance to use them on anything else yet.
Old 11th May 2003
Lives for gear

commander

the valley commander is a cool weird comp/expander.
dynamites are nice gates and very 80's sounding on slap bass.
Old 11th May 2003
Gear Addict

I think the ones i was referring to was the gain brains... I think the dynamites are the standalone units, whereas the gain brains are similar to the dbx900 racks.

Do you happen to know if they are similar in anyway?
Marsh
Old 11th May 2003
Lives for gear

gain brain

I think the company "allison research"(sp?) later became valley people.
and yes they both made racks a-la dbx 900.
they also made a single rackspace unit w/ power supply for 2 units.
kepex , gain brains, commander, all fit in these.
then there was the gatex, a single rack space 4 channel gate, (I think they suck)
The dynamite came 2 ways , one was a stand alone 2 channel counter top unit. The other was a single rack space 2 channel unit.
I am not sure if the pinoout and power voltage is compatible with the dbx 900 stuff.
Old 12th May 2003
Gear Addict

Thanks for the info! That actually helps alot.

How do they sound tho?
Marshall
Old 12th May 2003
One with big hooves

I've never used a Gain Brain, what are they like? My amp tech has had a pair in his FS rack for like 5 years and I could probably get them cheap. I've used the Dynamites a bunch of times and I don't think I've ever come across anything quite like them before. They're so freakin' fast, great for percussion.
Old 12th May 2003
Lives for gear

I have used some valley comps (can't remember the model, not the dynamite's 'tho) as well - Jay's comment is spot on. They are awesome on percussion (congas, bongo's, bells, kit) and have a very distinctive sound - I really groove on them too...
Old 12th May 2003
Lives for gear

The only Valley unit I'm familiar with is the 440 comp/lim/gate. It's my main vocal unit. It also does some odd stuff aimed at FM broadcast use, that I've never tried.
Old 12th May 2003
Lives for gear

These little guys were popular a while back and kinda remind me of something you'd use to get a clean, almost 80's sound. They are pretty cool on drums specifically, IMO. Kinda simliar to the DBX160's, which are also 'foward feed' compressors. They use a type of compression based on 'linear intergration principle'. This means that it bases it's compression on complex waveforms rather than simple ones, and has been described as more musical. The side chain makes using these units worthwhile. Ducking percussion during drum fills and what not good stuff. $500 seems like a good deal. The gates and eq's I was never a fan of, but I knew people to swore by the gates for things you gate for dynamic effect, but not as a noise gate.
Old 12th May 2003
The gain brain is a LOT of fun.. It can be used as a gentle or wild extreme compressor. Great on lead gtr,

To have 4 would be great, ideal price IMHO a bargain.

Old 12th May 2003
Gear Addict

AWESOME!!!!!

I'll go ahead and purchase them...

If anyone wants the gates, lemmi know.
I'm allergic to them.

The other thing is that the rack has a 24v power supply... i'm sure that there are other things i can stick in there that wants to use that power.

Marsh
Old 12th May 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Marshall Simmon
The other thing is that the rack has a 24v power supply... i'm sure that there are other things i can stick in there that wants to use that power.
Only if they have the same pinout. Check that before you stick any old thing in there.
Old 2nd March 2007
Here for the gear

Gain Brain Cards

I have two of the original Allison Research Gain Brain (Model 700) cards and a couple of blue boxes that bring the connectors out to something you can solder. I used to have the correct power supply for them, and I remember them being good line-of-fire compressors. Haven't used them for years.

Does anybody know what they're worth??

I also have a Kepex (Model 500) card.

I'd like to put them on eBay, but I can't figure out the value. Any help???

Bob
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

We had stacks of them..very fast for it's time..great for drums
Old 2nd March 2007
Gear Guru

I love the old black face ones - stereo pair in 1 rack space. Perfect for drums. Especially smashing the crap out of snare drums!
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

My MCI console was one of two consoles built for Sigma NY in the 70s and it was customized with Allison (for-runner to Vally People) Gain Brains, Kepexes and (originally) Allison automated faders. The faders have been replaced, The Kepexes are kind of useless for my purposes...

The Gain Brains are amazing.

Check out Electrical Audio's site (Steve Albini's place):
http://electrical.com/item.php?page=...ures/223-0.jpg

I can't be sure what changed between companies, but....
Old 29th December 2019
Here for the gear

Resurrecting this thread to get some info/ideas for my Valley People 440. If this is better in a new post elsewhere please let me know.

There are individual link screw terminals on the rear for Ctrl, Lim, Comp, Exp. The manual shows these connected to another 440 unit which I believe could be used of course for stereo but also for sidechain if the master unit was fed a kick and the slave unit was fed another instrument. However I only have one unit -- wondering if it's possible to feed these terminals some kind of control voltage from a sequencer and what that voltage might look like. Has anyone tried this? Seemed a fair assumption that these terminals could not be fed an audio signal.

Thanks!

--M

Edit: Just realized I should get this up and running and measure voltage from those terminals... still-- any info is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by milkshake; 29th December 2019 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: New info...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear