The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
api EQ - does anything compare?
Old 10th May 2003
Lives for gear

api EQ - does anything compare?

I just heard a 550a on electric guitar for the first time.

A-MAZ-ING!

Is there anything I should hear before I plunk down hard-earned dough on as many channels as I can afford?

Thanks.
Old 11th May 2003
Gear Addict

They certainly are nice EQ's. I have two myself, but once again they are not always going to be the right choice. Electric guitar loves them though!
Old 12th May 2003
Motown legend

When the API 550 came out, most of us considered it to be the first console equalizer that was every bit as good as our outboard units. I don't think I would characterize it as particularly unique sounding, just really good and right up there with a Pultec, Lang or Altec.

I bought my pair in 1972 shortly after I left Motown and discovered most studios didn't have nearly as many really good eqs as I had become used to.
Old 13th May 2003
Dot
Lives for gear

We've got some 550A's we pulled out of a console. If you're looking for 550A's, make sure they're real "A"'s - with two 2520 opamps. And make sure they have the original 2520's in them - probably made in Huntington, NY or Melville, NY.
Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

GOOD ADVICE DAN...550A-1'S SUK..550b'S ROCK TOO
Old 13th May 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Dot
We've got some 550A's we pulled out of a console. If you're looking for 550A's, make sure they're real "A"'s - with two 2520 opamps. And make sure they have the original 2520's in them - probably made in Huntington, NY or Melville, NY.

Guess how many 2520's a 560 has?

And is that a "real" piece?

Just because it has one 2520 doesn't make it not useful.

And I know some guys that prefer the Datatronix transformers(in the mic pre's) over the older API ones or Jensen.

Its up to the user to make it useful.
Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

While I don't disagree with the warnings about 550As vs 550A-1s, I think that a big bargain alternative is being ignored; the original 550! I picked up a pair of these very early API units and they sound pretty much exactly like the 550a, only with a few less frequency choices. And when you consider that the price difference can be as much as $400/pair between 550s and 550As, the old 550s look even better. The only downside that I can think of is that they seem to be a lot less common; original 550s just do not turn up for sale anywhere near as frequently as the later 550As.

Just another (cheaper!) option to consider......

steve
[email protected]
Old 16th May 2003
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Guess how many 2520's a 560 has?

As long as we're playing...

Guess how many TL074 IC op amps are found in an API 550 A-1?
Old 17th May 2003
You're right Steve.
I've talked to people who prefer the 550 to the 550A and vice versa.
IMO, both turn up on Ebay pretty regularly, quickly enough that you wouldn't have to wait too long if you were desperate.
Old 18th May 2003
The Dakings compare as far as a "quality" comparison. Functionally, there are differences of course. I use a pair of the EQ's on the submixed stereo guitar bus during mixdown. The low end makes the guitars blend so well, usually I give a little boost around 80 or 100 cycles. The preamps are also great, wonderful on just about anything.
Old 18th May 2003
One with big hooves

I'll second the Dakings in a big way. They are by far my favorite guitar EQ's. The 550A's are great but once in a while you'll come across something they just don't work on. With guitars it seems like it's a 50/50 shot. The Dakings have a much higher win/lose ratio on electric guitar for my work.
Old 18th May 2003
And the Daking's are useable on a wide variety of other instruments. They are pretty cheap for what they are and I've never seen a negative comment about them.
Now why haven't I bought some yet??????
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

The Dakings are my FAVORITE pre/Eq on drums...i track a lot of drums for small label records and film soundtracks.
My usual sey up is renting Neve or API into API 550a EQ...now after trying out MANY different Pre's and EQ, i stumble across the Dakings and i totally dig them ..bought 6 of them and hoping to get some more soon.
My friend also love them on guitar. Check them out.
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Maniac

Dakings

anybody notice the recent re-design on the Daking Mic-Pre/EQ? Looks like they've added an extra band and changed the knob within a knob design. Anyone got a recent unit?

I can't afford much but I like to buy quality so I was looking for a real top notch allround Mic-Pre/EQ and the Dakings beat everything else I heard. Considering the Mic-Pre is a dream in itself they are as Chrisso points out, an absolute steal at the price. I bought 3 - wish I could afford more (or the console grudge )

Drums, bass, vocals, acoustic guitar all sound great - and I always slap them on the 2 bus to give my tracks a 'trademark' curve...

Burt
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

Does Daking make a dedicated eq unit?...I'm in good shape on pres at the moment but would love a Daking stereo eq unit.
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

Burt,

I bought 6 of the recent unit. It`s basically EXACTLY the same circuitry/design...therefore sounds exactly the same as the earlier units. The new stuff has different knobs and and one more EQ band.
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Maniac

good & bad

well I guess an extra eq band is good but I kinda wish he's kept the layout in keeping with the original units so they match... just a stoopid cosmetic consideration on my part I suppose.

I liked the compressors too, but the side chain I/O + stereo linking looked a bit tricky from what I remember... good for mono applications though (I got great results with bass guitar), but ended up going for the UA 1176 instead...

Saucyjack - I've only ever seen the Mic-Pre/EQ & compressor modules, no dedicated eq unit.

Burt
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Maniac

Knobs

just looking at my Dakings and there is more than enough room for the extra freq bands using the original layout.. anyone know why Mr Daking changed them so radically? I can only think that the old knobs protrude so much that if you're on an angle they obscure the settings legending... maybe he got some complaints... I like them though.. very robust and expensive feel!!

Burt
Old 20th May 2003
4 x API 550A's on Ebay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=23788
They are being offered by yer man at Old School Audio, so I presume you wouldn't have to worry about 'dodgy seller' syndrome and they are also bound to be in very good shape.
Old 22nd May 2003
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by Saucyjack
Does Daking make a dedicated eq unit?...I'm in good shape on pres at the moment but would love a Daking stereo eq unit.
Daking doesn't make a 'stereo EQ' unit... but they do make highly "repeatable" mono EQ units... and 2 should do the job quite nicely.

As for a 'dedicated EQ' unit... yeah... they make one. It comes with a bonus mic-pre... so with a most excellent equalizer, you get a free mic-amp!! I thought it was pretty cool of them to do that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search