The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Top Pre's for Kick/Snare & OH's
Old 13th September 2005
Gear Addict

Top Pre's for Kick/Snare & OH's

Just curious what you guys have found to be the best pres for Kick/Snare & Overheads?

I talked to Dave WEckl at a drum clinic last night and he told me he prefers Grace 801 for everything but overheads where he uses a UA 2-610.

KYle
Old 13th September 2005
Lives for gear

Kick- Neve 1073/Wunder PEQ1/SCA N72
Snare - Neve 1073/Wunder PEQ1/Chandler TG2/ SCA N72

OH - Mercury M72s
Old 13th September 2005
Lives for gear

i have found that there is no 'best', the 'best' is the one that compliments that particular arrangement. that being said, the great river mp-2nv has been my 'go to' on kik and snare lately (although next time i'm gonna mix it up and try the pendulum quartet on the snare). i like the d.w. fearn vt-2 or pendulum mdp-1a on overheads.
joshua
Old 13th September 2005
Lives for gear

Kick, Snare and OHs- Shep SN8.

The Pendulum MDP is also the heat on OHs.
Old 13th September 2005
Lives for gear

Depends on the recording technique employed. He probably likes the 610 for OH's cause it's a darker pre and he's using the OH's for the cymbals.

OTOH, if I'm using a 3 mic technique on the drums, the OH's are much lower and less prone to any cymbal harshness (that is if you have that problem to begin with) which makes me prefer pres that have more presence. I personally get excellent results with TG pre's on the drum kit when using a 3 mic technique. If you dial in the pres with about 40db of gain you get a very present track with good tight attack (I'm using Josephson C42's btw). OTOH if you use minimal gain and full output on the TG pres it's alot darker.
Old 13th September 2005
Lives for gear

I love my API 512s on Kick, Snare, and OH. However I just got lended a UA2108. (very underated preamp IMO! ) It really makes the kick and snare pop out, great tone...however it's darker than the 512.

The easy solution is an API 3124. Great sound and worth 3x what it costs IMO.

-Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search