The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Studio in Chicago???
Old 23rd September 2009
Gear Head

Go North

Make the trip to Wisconsin and check out Smart Studio's....it's not too far away from Chicago....from what i understand they have killer engineers and all the right gear.....of coarse i suppose it may depend on what kind of music you're recording
Old 23rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post
Pressure Point craps all over CRC if you want great acoustics, and they have better engineers. They have great vocal booths and a pretty big live room with adjustable acoustics. They also have loads of vintage gear:

Welcome to Pressure Point Recording Studios

CRC has good looking ladies everywhere you look, so they may be a bit more inspiring
Mathien>>>>Really diggin that!
Old 23rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Electrical Audio would be my frist choice for this... I rented out this place and used both rooms fro a project I was producing. Awesome mic locker, awesome rooms, very nice and comfy place to work at. Also prices are good...... Now If you want a place that's not as fancy then go to Erik at Semaphore Recording. This place has a super relaxed vibe to it. I did some tracking there for that same project. They have a nice Neotek board and a pretty good selection of pre's and compressors.....
Old 24th September 2009
Lives for gear

Smart in madison , about an 1:45 from chicago is a great place . Mike Zirkel is a great guy and a superb engineer , and they have a trident .
Besides all the biggies mentioned , there are a few smaller places that I think are great .
4 Deuces / Clava on the south side next door to Sox field , Jim McGranahan is a good guy and has alot of cool gear , 4deuces recording home
I dont think the site is updated though as they have a ton more gear than what is listed .
A new start up shop around the corner from Electrical audio is Stereophonic studio . Marshal has a nice big room , some good gear and - is nice and cheap . 192 rig and a cool old 1" 8 track scully up to snuff .
Stereophonic Studios - Vintage Hi-Fi/Lo-Fi Audio Recording Studio in Chicago, IL
Old 24th September 2009
Gear Addict

Does Pumpkin Studios still exist? Recorded there in the mid 70s...
Old 24th September 2009
Gear Head

Mine
Old 24th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shendri6 View Post
I have found that one of the best sounding studio's which has failed to be mentioned here is I.V. Lab Studios. It's got a brand new API 1608 console, a Sony MCI 16 track in great condition, tons of vintage analog outboard gear and a good selection of mics, amps, guitars, and keyboards. Extremely reasonable and flexible rates (will cut deals for booking multiple days and returning customers). I believe they have all their equipment listed on their myspace along with some info on the studio
( myspace.com/ivlabstudios ) . Definitely worth checking out

-Shane
I've mixed at I.V labs and the API board there is amazing! Great studio and great people.
Old 24th September 2009
Lives for gear

I thought IV used a Ampex MM1200 ?
Old 24th September 2009
Lives for gear

Pumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifftunes View Post
Does Pumpkin Studios still exist? Recorded there in the mid 70s...
Yes...in a new sense. Gary sold the studio in Oak Lawn years ago. He moved out south to Orland Park. It's about 30 miles southwest of Chicago. Control room is a big room off his garage. Live room is the garage. Location doesn't really matter much. Gary is Pumpkin Studios.

FWIW, I think he is still occasionally out handling FOH with either the current rendition of Styx or with Dennis for his solo work. I know he does work for both as well as Tommy Shaw's solo stuff. Great engineer, great ears and just a great all around guy. thumbsup

Cheers, Jeff
Old 25th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinoctober View Post
I've mixed at I.V labs and the API board there is amazing! Great studio and great people.
i'm going to be there in november
Old 27th September 2009
Here for the gear

re

Thanks for all the in depth responses. I haven't logged in in a while and in all fairness CRC did indeed get back to me quickly with a very reasonable block rate.

I need the room. The room is important for this. It counts. The inspiration counts. The acoustics count. I have access to one of the best pro project studios anywhere but I need the room and it has to be in Chicago for this session. Pressure point looks really good to me for a 9000k at a good price, and I've heard good things. The vibe counts. This is a Burt Bacharach type session, that type of high end pop vocal.

Last edited by BRITS1; 27th September 2009 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: left something out
Old 28th September 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin-gear View Post
Yes...in a new sense. Gary sold the studio in Oak Lawn years ago. He moved out south to Orland Park. It's about 30 miles southwest of Chicago. Control room is a big room off his garage. Live room is the garage. Location doesn't really matter much. Gary is Pumpkin Studios.

FWIW, I think he is still occasionally out handling FOH with either the current rendition of Styx or with Dennis for his solo work. I know he does work for both as well as Tommy Shaw's solo stuff. Great engineer, great ears and just a great all around guy. thumbsup

Cheers, Jeff
Thanks, Jeff. I'd been wondering what happened to/with him. Glad he's still at it in one fashion or another.
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

We have the only 9000J in the Midwest.

Our place is on the border of Chicago. Vintage gear, plenty of outboard EMT 140 plate. Solid state logic 9056 56 I/O Protools HD3 and 24 track tape. Pleny of nice exPensive mics too! Anything we don't have we will rent or buy depending on your project!
Cheers!
Old 12th December 2013
Here for the gear

New Chicago Recording Studio

We've just opened a new recording studio in the western suburb area of Chicago. We specialize in recording and production for urban genres such as hip hop and r&b. Our environment is comfortable and professional, and our quality is great. Our gear list is nothing like CRC or anything, but I would consider our studio to be one of the top 5 in our niche in the Chicago area.

Chicago Recording Studio - Fastlife Productions Chicago. Check out our website.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search